Front Brakes

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
hagendog

Front Brakes

Post by hagendog »

Sorry if this in the wrong section. My front brake pull is soft and pretty much know the drill but have never rebuilt the front master cylinder. Tomorrow I am going to bleed them first, then check the thickness of the rotor and then maybe get some pads. Any other ideas? Brake is still working but the pull is soft and I want the KTM feel .........if possible
robertg

Post by robertg »

Change the fluid. A thin rotor and worn pads won't make your brakes soft. A warped rotor could.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

honda brakes will never be as good as ktm if you ask me. cr500 steely brakes really suck compared to the brembos of the same era :D
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

Woops, brakes are off a 03 cr250. Rotor does have a wooble in it so going to but the stock back on. Actually this Braking wave rotor really never impressed me at all, new stock always rocks!
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

clean the rotor with scotch brite, clean the pads, I use a wire wheel. Fresh fluid, I use motul 600 degree stuff. I highly doubt rebuilding the master will change anything. After you change fluid and bleed it zip ty the lever to the bars overnight and that will let the system auto bleed if the bike is upright provided the master cylinder cap is on right and not over torqued. There are iar holes in the cap and a groove in the rubber diaphram that let the air escape.

On my last ride I almost when over the bars from grabbing my stock 2000 CR250 front brake going hot 4'th gear into a corner. Grabbed it a bit too hard

After you get it set up right, the first ride out before you get it dirty, do a few high speed hard stops. Don't drag the brake just use it hard at least 5X. that will get the pads seated to the rotor better provided they are not weird shaped from another rotor. If they are weird shaped they may need replacing or more than 5X stops.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

another cause of soft brakes are old hoses if they have gotten soft they may expand when you use the brake.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

yep, I'll be switching to SS ones soon
beekums

Post by beekums »

Try bleeding from the bottom up to the top :?:
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

beekums wrote:Try bleeding from the bottom up to the top :?:
exactly - using a vacuum pump style bleeder.

This:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/produ ... gId=104306

or:

http://pitposse.com/mibrblkit.html
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...