"race" port reliability?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
tacogrande

"race" port reliability?

Post by tacogrande »

I just grenaded my top end finally, and it's time for a rebuild. My question is for you guys that are running Glenn's race port, how long do they last? I ride primarily open desert/dunes And need more top end but I don't want to sacrifice reliability (it was a long walk to the truck when this motor seized). Also what kind of fuel do you run? I can get 100 octane at the local 76 station, just wondering if they will run on that. I'm also considering the 250 ignition swap if I can find the parts.
Socal Hoon
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

It should be just as reliable as stock porting. I run alot of clearance, so I'm changing top ends frequently.

I run VP U4.2 fuel, and C12 works good as well. Can't speak for the 100 octane pump stuff.

Glen does great work, don't let Uncle Rico the Webrider (100hphonda) tell you otherwise.
tacogrande

Post by tacogrande »

Thanks for the reply. I've heard way more good than bad about Glenn (long time lurker), and that many hoons can't be wrong. I wanted to try the 540 cc "Liger" jug I read about on the main site but I can't get ahold of the bastards. I'll call gss when i get the motor tore down and figure out what the damages are.
Socal Hoon
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

tacogrande wrote:Thanks for the reply. I've heard way more good than bad about Glenn (long time lurker), and that many hoons can't be wrong. I wanted to try the 540 cc "Liger" jug I read about on the main site but I can't get ahold of the bastards. I'll call gss when i get the motor tore down and figure out what the damages are.
CPI has a 583 jug, might want to take a peek at that too.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Glen drills a shitload of holes in the race port pistons and im almost 100% positive they have saved my motor countless times from melting.

Ive boiled the bike many times and once cooked it to the point where it died and wouldnt restart untill cooled, without the holes in the piston I guarantee it would have been a moulten mess.

So Id say a ton more reliable than stock :D

BTW all thecooling issues have been fixed now :lol:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
tacogrande

Post by tacogrande »

Well shit that's good to hear. When I get this thing put back together we'll have to go for a rip brit, coppercity and calico are within a tank from my place. What pipe do you run? I need a new one. Got it pulled apart and the wiseco cracked a skirt and vaporized it into aluminum dust and melted it to the jug. Doh.
Socal Hoon
britincali

Post by britincali »

I run a few diff pipes, im running a noleen rite now as the motor seems to like it more.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i heard ported&polished was saving his pennys for a gss race port :D
britincali

Post by britincali »

tacogrande wrote:Well shit that's good to hear. When I get this thing put back together we'll have to go for a rip brit, coppercity and calico are within a tank from my place. .

Fuk yea lets roll out :cool: :cool:

Where are you located?

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
tacogrande

Post by tacogrande »

Out by the dry lake on the way to Irwin. I'm not sure why the wiseco busted up, but it made a mess when it did. 5th gear tapped~

Socal Hoon
britincali

Post by britincali »

Thats a weird place for it to break, you sure the crank isnt coming apart and a chunk of bearing dint cause that damage?

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

It could also be that the clearance got out spec and cracked/broke the piston.
britincali

Post by britincali »

You got anymore pics of that piston?

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
tacogrande

Post by tacogrande »

Just this one. It's weird it has hairline cracks all around the skirt and the pipe was coated in aluminum dust. The crank is tight, same with the rod. No play at all, smooth spinning by hand and no debris in the crankcase, most of it went out the pipe at WOT.
Socal Hoon
tacogrande

Post by tacogrande »

Well, I shipped my entire motor off to Glenn for new crank bearings, bottom end seals, the new race port, and to bore my carb. It was a tough decision choosing the right shop, but after talking to Glenn I feel confident he will do a great job. There are just some things in life you can't learn from books, and the art of tuning a half liter two stroke is one of them. I got a 250 ignition off ebay in case it's not scary enough for me too.
Socal Hoon
DitchWitch

Post by DitchWitch »

I just got back my bored PWK and Trailport jug and piston from Glen, man his work is beautiful, you can tell he takes allot of pride in what he does. I cant wait to get it all back together, I also have a 250 ignition to fit, a 98 digital. :twisted:
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

fastkart wrote:It could also be that the clearance got out spec and cracked/broke the piston.
i thought that you kart guys run alot of clearence!!

so how much is tooooo! much for kart engines???
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I usually run .006-.007, but the top ends get changed every 8-10 races and rings every 4-5. It's done that way to get the piston out before it cracks. If it gets run too long and cracks, it will look like the pic he posted.