CR250 ignition for the 500 question (pic)

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

40 - 1, 927 at 1500 to 1800 elevation on 93 pump stuff. I leaned it out slowly. I was getting spooge and oily plugs/piston. Motor is fresh. If I had it together I'd throw a 170 in and see if it still makes the sound. Gotta build a frame at the moment.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i have a 168 in the '87 bike have hardly ridden it, just run down to the farm + back and dad took it up and down the lane. it seems like the little DG pipe on it doesnt like much jet, but i've maybee got 10km on it :roll:
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

just got my 01 cr250 ignition in the mail. recessed the backing plate, cleaned it up, put it together, checked for spark. then put it back together. turned on the fuel, leaned it over, and after the aecond kick, it roared to life like never before. my old ignition used to take 7-10 good kicks but this thing just fired up straight away.i gave it a little blip on the throttle and it sounded crisp and sweet. ill be taking it for a test ride after work tomorrow and let you know how she goes :britlikes:
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

sorry brit, saw it there and i just had to use it :clink:
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:cool: give us a complete report!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Ya do report. I bid on that auction too!

Damn you Danny and your advertising of this mod! Shoulda kept it on the D/L till I got mine and then let the cat out of the bag! :lol:
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ya, I know, I f-ed up... :oops:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I saw a complete 01 CR250 ignition bring $350 + shipping a few months ago on ebay.

I used a oring on mine to center the stator, worked very nice.
JR650

Post by JR650 »

So, whats the opinion on the 02 250 ignition?? i seem to remember danny's 03 being a turd but i know they changed the motor some for 03?? i still have my 250 engine and am thinking about trying the ignition before i sell it. Worthwhile??
00 XR650R street legal SM
02 250/500
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

JR650 wrote:So, whats the opinion on the 02 250 ignition?? i seem to remember danny's 03 being a turd but i know they changed the motor some for 03?? i still have my 250 engine and am thinking about trying the ignition before i sell it. Worthwhile??
i just took mine out for a short run today. well firstly it started on the first kick(thats never happened before),idled pretty well for a light flywheel. i noticed a loss in bottom end. it was almost like a little flat spot which came on strong to an increased midrange. thats the only bad thing i noticed. the upside is how easy this thing starts. its almost worth the change for that alone. i didnt notice a big difference in top rpm. it was the same as before. its just got a ripper midrange that has hospital written all over it.the rear wheel found it very hard to keep traction when it hit mid range on the dirt. and on the road i couldn give it full throttle till in 4th,5th. the jury is still out as i was only able to take it for a 10 minute ride around local roads/reserves but will post again once ive had a good run.im running pj carb,55/75 jetting,boysen valve,fmf gnarly. i used the whole 250 01 set up. the coil fitted,just made a bracket for the shorter bolt hole but would of got away with the one bolt holding it. the 250 coil was 81 grams lighter. cr500 flywheel = 581 gms. 250flywheel = 438 grams. cr500 electrics 494 grams,cr 250 =626 grams. the cr250 is heavier cos its a 6 pole as opposed to the cr500s 1 pole.more copper. ill post up on how it handles after a good days ride. THESE RESULTS MAY BE SKEWED COS I DID A FILTER CHANGE/CLEANED THE PLUG . but I doubt it would of effected the easy starting that much cos ive had new plugs/filters before and it never started that good. (started first kick after 2 slow priming kicks while cold, thats never happened before) :D :D :D :D

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Sounds like it is all working out for you. :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

yeah, its kind of like a 250 now, a 250 on roids. though if that makes sense.it gives a real hit but not as much off the bottom. its gonna take a while to fully suss it out.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Did you advance and retard it to get a feel for the change that can make? Quite a difference just with the slots honda provided.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I had the flat spot too and I just moved the sensor as close as possible to the flywheel and that solved the problem.
I am 100% pleased with my 90-95 250 ignition on my bike and after 6 months would never consider switching back.
03 CRF450/85 500
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

seanmx57 wrote:Did you advance and retard it to get a feel for the change that can make? Quite a difference just with the slots honda provided.
i haven tried that yet. wanna get a few rides under my belt first as it is. what works well, retarding or advancing? which will give me more bottom end?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

nmdesertrider wrote:I had the flat spot too and I just moved the sensor as close as possible to the flywheel and that solved the problem.
I am 100% pleased with my 90-95 250 ignition on my bike and after 6 months would never consider switching back.
i just checked the gap. it was .8 mm. i closed it up to .4 mm and will dee how it goes. how close is the gap on yours? did you take it to .2 or less?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

and it still starts first kick every time. this 250 ignition is sweet as for starting. just gonna try fix the low end flat spot now.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

well, as far as the flat spot, I would think you should advance it a couple degrees... think about it, retarded timing is better for staring, infact ooold cars used to have a timing retard lever to aid in starting. since it starts and has a flat spot (which would also be characteristing of retarded timing) I would assume a little advance wouldn't hurt.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

exacto, alot of our stockcar stuff runs a lockout advance, a button for the starter to spin the engine, let off the starter and turn ingition on(or unground mag) and away she goes.

i ran a mudtruck with a 505 chevy that made big power, 13.5:1 + i started it like that with a lockedout vertex mag, sold the truck and the guy broke like 3 startere drives in a weekend cuz he didnt listen
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I didn't measure it just put it as close as possible.
03 CRF450/85 500
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

holy chit!!! just got home from a ride with the new ignition. after closing up the air gap from.8mm to .4mm it took away the flat spot. the bike runs fine now. the new power band is a bit much for what i do but cant complain. it still starts hot or cold with one kick. MY SPOOGE PROBLEM OUT OF THE MUFFLER IS TOTALLY GONE NOW. it used to spit black crap all over the power core muffler.i didnt change the jets but the ignition has fixed the spooge problem that i had. that doesnt make sense but it has fixed it. this 01 250 ignition has really taken away the bad traits of the cr. it now starts first kick, my spooge is gone and i run 55/175 pj. i can load the engine at low speed and it doesnt bog,its stopped blowing smoke. its fixed. i must of had a bad ignition to start with even though it used to run hard. im gonna try closing the air gap to .2mm now. then im gonna try play with the timing to improve the midrange and tame the hit. but overall i cant complain. now i can start my bike easier than my mates with electric start. im very impressed with this mod and would recommend it to anyone. dannygraves was right about it being too much for trails riding. but if you can put up with a real powerband kick, but a little less bottom end(barely noticable and i might be able to tune it out) this mod is deffinatly worth doing. it even idles nicely. there is a more noticable surge on decel but its not much worse than it was. but easy starting and no spooge and smooth running. im sold :D :D :D :D :wink:

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

its funny cos i went out and pulled the plug out. the plug was wet and a little bit oily. with the 500 ignition it always used to be ash colour. but on the new ignition its wetter and darker but not spitting oil out the pipe like the 500 set up used to. weird :blink:

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

just got through test riding the 94 500 motor with a 94 250 ignition. i can't say if it was a power increase since i hadn't really ridden it in a week or so, and when i did ride it last, i was running 14/40 gearing on supermoto wheels. the bike now has 12/44 gearing (the lowest gearing i had that i can still run the same chain with) on DOT knobbies on stock wheels. gonna thrown the sumo wheels and taller gearing on this weekend or next week and see what's up.

anyone know if anyone besides electrosport/moose makes a lighting stator for a 94 CR250?
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
Disturbed

UESTION it lays over and doesn't want to stand up as much on

Post by Disturbed »

First impression after 250 flywheel/ignition swap in my 97 motor/CRF450 Gen 4 conversion.

I now own a super fast CR250R!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very hard to start.

NO QUESTION it lays over easier and doesn't want to stand up on exit as much.

I clutch a lot so I didn't notice a lack of flywheel effect in corners.

No mid-range hit for me just waaaaay smooth power low to upper mid......shuts down after that.

For me, it's a massive improvement as a MX bike and that's my thang.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

play with the timing, starting might get better, you can get more rev with timing as well. Running a PC pipe will be a nice setup if U like using the clutch.

Side note, I hear wincester MX park practice will be next weekend if it will stop raining on saturdays :x