CR250 ignition for the 500 question (pic)

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I think the 250 ignition is more durable and a lot cheaper than the 500 stuff, that's why I like it.
03 CRF450/85 500
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Sean, would I be correct in assuming that the complete 250 ignition/flywheel makes it 'better' as a motocross bike in your opinion?
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Yes. Double Yes if you have skills. If U R talented enough to run em hard it really shines. The lighter FW helps considerably, BUT if you are not able to hold onto something that's silly fast don't waste your time doing it for MX. Things get kinda wild as the revs get into the midrange and the ignition really starts to advance the curve. I'm probably going to get a programmable CDI for a 250 so I can get the low end back where it should be and play w/ the timing at different RPMs.

Several other MX 500 guys I chat with swear by them as well. I put a 15oz FWW on my bike once when I had the 500 stock ignition. It was horrible. I was constantly waiting for the power to come in kinda like a small bore that won't come on pipe cause the RPM is to low. I was also riding sandy MX at the time which contributes to the bogging.
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

seanmx57 wrote:Yes. Double Yes if you have skills. If U R talented enough to run em hard it really shines. The lighter FW helps considerably, BUT if you are not able to hold onto something that's silly fast don't waste your time doing it for MX. Things get kinda wild as the revs get into the midrange and the ignition really starts to advance the curve. I'm probably going to get a programmable CDI for a 250 so I can get the low end back where it should be and play w/ the timing at different RPMs.

Several other MX 500 guys I chat with swear by them as well. I put a 15oz FWW on my bike once when I had the 500 stock ignition. It was horrible. I was constantly waiting for the power to come in kinda like a small bore that won't come on pipe cause the RPM is to low. I was also riding sandy MX at the time which contributes to the bogging.
Are you running a PC or FMF pipe with the 250 setup?
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Depends on the track, I first started with a PC but the low end was a bit too soft (i'm used to a gnarly) so I switched to a gnarly and am happier but it's so strong down low I end up a gear high a lot and I don't think I'm getting much advantage from the 250 set up. I miss the revability of the PC. I might be able to get away with almost a one gear motor and not have to shift much becuase the PC/250 combo will really rev for a 500 in a MX app.

PC for the fast stuff, FMF for the tight stuff. Looking for a fatty, got one?

I'm gonna pick up a stock steely pipe and mod it for the gen 2 and see if I can happy everywhere.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I'm running a fatty on my gen-3 and an OLD school gold series on the gen-1 :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

my gen3 has a fatty + '88 250 ignition
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:D
now that I took care of that topend and the carb issues on teh gen-3, I';m gonna try the '03 cr250 ignition again.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:my gen3 has a fatty + '88 250 ignition
That was the exact combo my gen-1 was running until I built the gen-3 and moved the fatty to it. that was a good strong combo and combined with some crazy ass porting and my mikuni 41 w/ powerjet, it was a sick dunes setup :cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

seanmx57 wrote:Depends on the track, I first started with a PC but the low end was a bit too soft (i'm used to a gnarly) so I switched to a gnarly and am happier but it's so strong down low I end up a gear high a lot and I don't think I'm getting much advantage from the 250 set up. I miss the revability of the PC. I might be able to get away with almost a one gear motor and not have to shift much becuase the PC/250 combo will really rev for a 500 in a MX app.

PC for the fast stuff, FMF for the tight stuff. Looking for a fatty, got one?

I'm gonna pick up a stock steely pipe and mod it for the gen 2 and see if I can happy everywhere.
All I got is Fattys....3 of them. I covet a a PC though.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

damn, after reading this thread, i went lookin on ebay for a 250 ignition and theyre all gone lol. has anyone used the later 01-04 ignitions? and has anyone tried the digital and the analogue ignitions? are there any notable differences?
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
Bean

Post by Bean »

we have done a little testing with a 03 250 ignition
it produced 2-3 hp more at the wheel from mid to top end
just got to make sure that you set the timing right
OK THAT'S 2 DONE ....
WHO'S IS NEXT????
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

how bad was the bottom end though? is it prone to stall alot? also, is it really much harder to start once youve dialed in the timing?
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

in my experience the 250 ignitions give quite a bit more low end and contribute more to how uncontrolable this beast can be. stalling and loss of power are not an issue.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

what would be the best to get, digital/analogue? what year ignitions best suit? i know 94-96 bolt straight on but are analogue. ive heard good things too about the 01 digital too but i have no experience in riding them. which should i buy?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

So I've had several rides on a 2001 CR250 igntion. Been running it where honda sets the 250 at stock, not advanced or retarded. I'm not sure if I'm getting pinging problems or not. My motor is making a loud noise in the midrange, kinda sounds like a machine gun or a ripping sound. I don't think it's happening everytime I get in the midrange. I'm running 93 octane fresh pump fuel.

Time for race gas? Hope not.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

a ping sounds like a rattling. picture the sound a piston would make rattling in the bore and that is what it sounds like. if you are pinging it is one of 2 things, a lean condition or too much timing advance.
does it do it based on rpm or throttle position? if its throttle position and opening up the throttle more makes it go away, then it is your needle setting, if it does it at a certain rpm and giving more throttle doesn't make it stop, then its probably timing. to retard the timing a little, make sure the holes in the stator plate are ovaled out (remove the one little plate) and turn it a couple degrees in the direction the motor turns. do it little bits at a time.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

well ive just got a 01 250 ingntion complete off ebay for 150 plus shipping.looking forward to it :D

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

the ping is like shaking an empty spray paint can

my buddy Nick is bad for not knowing what the hell we're talking about so i rode his bike maybee 200 yards, that thing pinged so unreal bad, no wonder he took out 2 pistons in 2 years.

then he gets on my gen3 and says "this thing is bolted together stiff or something, doesnt sound like my bike" IDIOT!

The ping is pre-detonation, meaning that its burning the fuel before it should, if you've ever had the bike so hot the switch wont shut it off thats whats happening. 30+seconds of running it like that will mean theres no fuel pushing the piston down the hole, just the short burst as it passes tdc, so now you also have less lube on the piston and its going to squeak in the bore, or score the shit out of it for sure. when i put the 250 ignition on it took 5 sizes up on the pilot to take the ping out.
You can hear it under acceleration, but most people wont have it figured that its a ping until it does the ping when you let off the throttle quick from wfo and hear it make a sound 4-6 times like when your chain gets slapping the swingarm from shuting down hard.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:the ping is like shaking an empty spray paint can

my buddy Nick is bad for not knowing what the hell we're talking about so i rode his bike maybee 200 yards, that thing pinged so unreal bad, no wonder he took out 2 pistons in 2 years.

then he gets on my gen3 and says "this thing is bolted together stiff or something, doesnt sound like my bike" IDIOT!

The ping is pre-detonation, meaning that its burning the fuel before it should, if you've ever had the bike so hot the switch wont shut it off thats whats happening. 30+seconds of running it like that will mean theres no fuel pushing the piston down the hole, just the short burst as it passes tdc, so now you also have less lube on the piston and its going to squeak in the bore, or score the shit out of it for sure. when i put the 250 ignition on it took 5 sizes up on the pilot to take the ping out.
You can hear it under acceleration, but most people wont have it figured that its a ping until it does the ping when you let off the throttle quick from wfo and hear it make a sound 4-6 times like when your chain gets slapping the swingarm from shuting down hard.
so is it neccesary to upsize the pilot jet when adding a 250 ignition?or just retard the ignition a little bit? what about the main?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

backing out the timing will effect the entire range on an unprogramable cdi, so i'd leave it alone.

I had setup my PWK at 175 main and did go to 178, but i think i'd likely be there with the fatty pipe anyways, and didnt notice that it should have more than the 175 until i was in a soft field + pinned in 5th

I started at 45 pilot, pinged leaving the garage, immidiately swapped to a 48, ran it, was decent without pinging too bad, but i could find it riding hard + it blued the pipe into the U so its at 50 + very crisp stil

when i'm talking about it needing 5 sizes up i mean the 45 to a 50
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

Anyone with 250 ignition/jetting experience using a PJ?
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote: when i'm talking about it needing 5 sizes up i mean the 45 to a 50
You had me going there. I thought the opposite. I'm way leaner on the main, 160 or 162 on a 38 pwk. I'm not toping out and holding it on though but definately on the main jet plenty, just not at max revs in 5'th.

I think my pilot is pretty good, started first kick cold last ride with a few primers by hand. Never done that before, 1.5 turns out apx.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

160 or 162?!?!?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:
what premix and what elevation are you at??? I had a really worn topend with crap for compression and it ran on a 168, thats the leanest jet I've ever put in a 500
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

seanmx57 wrote:
Roostius_Maximus wrote: when i'm talking about it needing 5 sizes up i mean the 45 to a 50
You had me going there. I thought the opposite. I'm way leaner on the main, 160 or 162 on a 38 pwk. I'm not toping out and holding it on though but definately on the main jet plenty, just not at max revs in 5'th.

I think my pilot is pretty good, started first kick cold last ride with a few primers by hand. Never done that before, 1.5 turns out apx.
cool,so ill try my standard jetting 55, 175, pj. so when we install it we line it up with the std ignition mark? and it should all be ok?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.