Case Splitting Question

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
fastkart

Case Splitting Question

Post by fastkart »

Finally got warm enough today to work in the garage so I decided I would split cases for the first time. Everything went really easy and smooth. The question I have is about getting the crank out of the right side case, as well as the right side crank seal. How is that done? When the engine was reassembled by the overpriced builder, it looks like he used yamabond or something like it to keep the seal in its place.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

I would have the crank pressed out although you might try heating the bearing and lightly tapping with a plastic hammer/rubber mallet if you can get the seal out.

You can drill some small holes around the seal and use screws to push it out (possibly pull it out). If you get the crank out first, use a seal puller.

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

been about a year since i split my cases but it seems like the puller i have worked on both side cases but i cant remeber exactly. i know for sure i didnt beat on anything with a hammer
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

100hp honda wrote:i know for sure i didnt beat on anything with a hammer
Exactly what I was avoiding. The crank was brand new and only has probably 5 hours on it, along with every bearing in the bottom end. I'm not rebuilding out of necessity, I'm rebuilding because I want to learn how incase I have to do it, and so I don't have to pay someone to do it... better to figure it out now than to do so when something lets go. I'll grab a seal puller tomorrow. Thanks!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i have the motion pro splitter which i dont really like but it gets the job done. i think some splitters work on both sides of the case but i cant remeber. because it was quit a while back im drawing a blank on exactly how i removed my crank but as i said before, i definatly didnt have to use a hammer and i know i didnt need heat either now i think of it
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

100hp honda wrote:been about a year since i split my cases but it seems like the puller i have worked on both side cases but i cant remeber exactly. i know for sure i didnt beat on anything with a hammer
Who said to beat it with a hammer?

Anyway, there's always a tool for the job. Watch the video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKeT8Mh ... re=related

You can buy one of these to pull the crank into the cases. I have one but haven't used it yet.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/product ... lyId=17166

Last edited by HrcRacing on February 6th, 2009, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

nobody said to beat it with a hammer. all i was saying was, i didnt even get a hammer out of the tool box
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

HrcRacing wrote:[You can buy one of these to pull the crank into the cases.
This is the way to roll....
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ok ill shut up because my memeroy is foggy but because theres bolt holes on both cases i think my puller was large enough to work on both sides, but i dont think a steering wheel puller will work for the right side case
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

100hp honda wrote:nobody said to beat it with a hammer. all i was saying was, i didnt even get a hammer out of the tool box
My bad. I'm going to have to buy one of those splitters to go with my puller. That splitter if frickin' sweet! :cool:

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

HrcRacing wrote:
100hp honda wrote:nobody said to beat it with a hammer. all i was saying was, i didnt even get a hammer out of the tool box
My bad. I'm going to have to buy one of those splitters to go with my puller. That splitter if frickin' sweet! :cool:
i wasnt being a smartass. serious, i can double check tomorow but im sure thats how i did it, the motion pro will screw into both side cases, requiring no tools but the splitter and wrench to tighten it
97af

Post by 97af »

"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Mike has all the good stuff..... :notworthy:
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

100hp honda wrote:
HrcRacing wrote:
i wasnt being a smartass. serious, i can double check tomorow but im sure thats how i did it, the motion pro will screw into both side cases, requiring no tools but the splitter and wrench to tighten it
By "my bad" I meant that I was sorry for taking what you said the wrong way. I wasn't thinking that you were being a smartass or doubting what you're saying. I'm sure the Motion Pro tool works like the Tusk one in the video I linked and the picture I posted.

It's all good bro. :cool:

Here's the Motion Pro splitter. Basically, the same as the Tusk one but a "bit" more expensive. :wink:

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i found this old photo of how i did mine my last one couple yaers ago. nothing beats rebuilding a engine in the kitchen :lmao:

97af

Post by 97af »

Does that splitter come with the pre-cut 2x4's? :shock:
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Not to WI fuker!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!