guys, they are making it harder to hate thumpers...

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

MICK wrote: I wish I was as happy about todays current crop of MX bikes as todays kids are. But I'm not a product of the MTV generation. Loud noises and expensive toys don't cloud my judgement.
That would be the same generation that slaps a fart can on their clapped out Honda Civic, along with the Type R and NOS (pronounced Nawwwwsss) decals and then proceeds to talk shit about how fast their car is.

But what do I know, I'm just one of the old farts MFDB refers to earlier in this thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
MICK

Post by MICK »

Exnav wrote:That would be the same generation that slaps a fart can on their clapped out Honda Civic, along with the Type R and NOS (pronounced Nawwwwsss) decals and then proceeds to talk shit about how fast their car is.
And call you old and ignorant if you don't believe them :doh:
M.F.D.B. wrote:I love V-twin torque, and the sound is AWESOME but they simply cant hang with the high horse 4 bangers.
That's the only thing you've said in this thread that makes sense. I'm glad we can agree on this. You obviously have more streetbike experience than you do dirt. Remember when Honda debut my RC51? It was the most expensive bike offered by Japan. Said to be a production "race" bike. It was given a displacement advantage in AMA pro Racing against the inline 750s. But realizing what a mistake that would have been was then required to compete head to head in the SBK class, for good reason. And it was still heavier than the current offerings of I-4s, and produced less power on top of that...It was supposed to make all kinds of broad, linear power that was easy to use and get traction with. But you don't believe all that bullshit now do you. Ridden many 1098s lately? What do you think of the current twin displacement advantage (1200cc). For another 200cc you can buy an 1198S for $20,000+ and it still won't be as fast as your run of the mill GSX-R1000. You apparently can sift through the propaganda with streetbikes and seperate the hype and bullshit from reality...but you haven't yet learned to do the same with motocross bikes.

And off topic but I do love my RC51 to death. I wish it was competitive against late model I-4 liter bikes but it's still a blast to ride. It's been an incredible runner. Top end disassembled twice for inspection and haven't had to rebuild a thing yet. Automotive like durability :cool:
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Well lets see.....

Pecker and I were at A2 tonight....

Saw 1 bike scatter the bottom end

Saw 2 that wouldnt start. 1 during the race, 1 sitting pre race in the gates.... DNS

Walked the pits... saw one broken cam, 1 broken cam gear

Yea.... super reliable all right.
MICK

Post by MICK »

AlisoBob wrote:Saw 2 that wouldnt start. 1 during the race, 1 sitting pre race in the gates.... DNS
:lmao: :lmao: Can you believe this!!! DID NOT START. They had to come up with new abbreviations for fourstrokes. Nodoby had ever previously heard of a DNS...what's that? Must be a typo, a rider can't just not fucking start the race! I tell you I've never owned a bike that wouldn't start. But I'm of the opinion that a bike that doesn't start reliably isn't worth a shit! Or a car, truck etc...Wait a minute guys, this bike is really super fast (kick-kickety-kick-kick) just...if it would start (kick-kickety-kick-kick) :roll: :roll:
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

Pecker and I were at A2 tonight....

What is A2?

DNS is a good term for some new thumpers,and i think that in the next future we'll see how a lot of new and powerfuls DNS's, DNF(DID NOT FINISH) the races for problems like that,i remember that in the early 90's
a rally-racer did not begin a race because his KTM (incas) not start with the engine hot,only started cold
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

A2 is the second Supercross race held at Aneheim. I think there is 1 more race there dually called A3.
MICK

Post by MICK »

James Stewart may very well thank his no-starting peice of shit 450 for costing him this years championship. If Reed continues to place on the podium for the rest of the season, Bubba can't even make up the ground if he wins every race. Thanks Yamaha :lol:
Once again, any one of us could have beat the legendary James "Bubba" Stewart on a 125 two stroke...You've got to finish the race to place. Fourstrokes prove time and time again they can't finish. It's sad but the only thing that's going to help a fourstroke start is electric start. You've got to be able to turn the motor over several revolutions at a time, not three or four. But of course these commentators are making people believe the FI is what they need :roll: :roll: Jesus if Jeff Emig has ever said something that made sense I'll eat a dirty sock. I'll tell you the FI wasn't helping this poor guy start his '09 CRF450 at monster last weekened when he was pulling it through the pits with a truck :rotfl:
Last edited by MICK on January 18th, 2009, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

MICK wrote:James Stewart may very well thank his no-starting peice of shit 450 for costing him this years championship. If Reed continues to place on the podium for the rest of the season, Bubba can't even make up the ground if he wins every race. Thanks Yamaha :lol:
Stewart and Chad will be tied in 4 races if they finish 1-2 from now on. Should be an excellent series to watch, Chad has stepped it up and the Yamaha doesn't appear to be working as well for Bubba as his Kawi was.

Back to the 4t/2t discussion, I got to ride a friend's YZ426 a couple months ago, and I hate to admit it, but I really liked it. Not as fast as my 500, but vastly more useable power and easier to ride for a slow dude such as myself. I could definitely see myself owning a new 450, either green or red in color. :D

My friends with 4 stroke MX bikes haven't had to do top ends or valve jobs in them yet, after 5+ years of abuse, with the exception of a coworker's CRF250 Honda that's needed a fair amount of work in the year he's owned it. He got stuck with a lemon or something, it didn't run right when he first picked it up from the dealer.

-Nick
redrider

Post by redrider »

M.F.D.B. wrote:Say what you want about Jap 4 bangers, ill run circles around a V-twin all day on mine. I love V-twin torque, and the sound is AWESOME but they simply cant hang with the high horse 4 bangers. By the way, an MV Agusta is no where near 6 figgas, and they handle and haul ass just as good as they look. If you havnt ridden a high end Euro dont hate on what you are ignorant of please...

Seems like a lot of people in this thread are ok with spreading "rumors and opinions" of which they have little to ZERO first hand knowlegde of...
Its not my "opinion" :

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/07_F4_CC.html

"The bike will come with superb accessories including a Trussardi leather jacket and a Girard-Perregaux watch" LAME

I don't need a stupid watch to convince me not to buy one of these gaytas.

And like I said before, the only bike I would buy is a euro so I don't see how im hating on them just because I think the example in question is ridiculous. I would probably consider some of the other more reasonable models though. Don't take it personally.
I'd rather be hauling ass
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MICK wrote:
Stewart and Chad will be tied in 4 races if they finish 1-2 from now on. Should be an excellent series to watch, Chad has stepped it up and the Yamaha doesn't appear to be working as well for Bubba as his Kawi was.
Reed went down in the first turn of the main.... started near dead last.

Final
Stewart
Reed

MOV: 4 seconds.

Reed was smooth as silk, fast as hell. Bubba had several tank slappers all night. Basically had to ride over his head all night to stay in front.

Reed should take the crown again.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

You guys are funny, I can start my 450 BY HAND, try that with your 500..haha Dont take my word for it, ask several of your 500 buds that have seen it first hand... :wink:

I believe the propaganda? HAHA Dont have to, I own both bikes, its called experience, not propaganda. I work for a shop that sells bike parts, and has the largest motorcycle website on the planet. Over a MILLION unique hits a MONTH. We see first hand what people are buying more then ANYONE else. Take that propaganda and shove it up your pipe...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

M.F.D.B. wrote: Over a MILLION unique losers a MONTH.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Brittney Spears is popular too.
03 CRF450/85 500
MICK

Post by MICK »

I'm glad your 450 both runs well and is reliable MFDB. Believe me I DON'T want you to have to push that thing back to the truck. Maybe call James Stewart and tell him you got a bike he can start by hand to finish the season with.
teamdns

Post by teamdns »

MICK wrote:Maybe call James Stewart and tell him you got a bike he can start by hand to finish the season with.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Post by teemtrubble »

teamdns wrote:
MICK wrote:Maybe call James Stewart and tell him you got a bike he can start by hand to finish the season with.

:rotfl: :rotfl:
:lol:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

In MFDB's defense I have seen him start his 450 with his hand!

Still wouldn't own one unless it had a CR500 engine in it though!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

sabreguy wrote:In MFDB's defense I have seen him start his 450 with his hand!

Still wouldn't own one unless it had a CR500 engine in it though!
Thats because its stock, and dosent make any power.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I wouldn't own a bike I could start by hand. Unless it was a push button. I have been watching these last few races on Speed and CBS, and have never seen so much of the outcome of the race dictated by the machine. With them "missing gears" or cutting out. It's very educational to watch. I would like to know, before the 4 strokes got so popular, how many guys lost the championship because the bike didn't start, because I never remember seeing the results and seeing a DNS. Once. Ever. Yeah, great bikes.
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

Check this out www.dirtrider.net go to 4 stroke discussion and look under 09 CRF 450 problem already. Sad you spend all this money and get shit in return.
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

It's very sad what this guy saids but i see that it happens a lot,i'll think it twice before buy a new one mx thumper with efi.:

Well, I ran into a snag this weekend. Got to the track around 10:30 Saturday. This was the second weekend I've had the bike out. Bike was running just fine until about 2:00. I had stopped to take a break for about 15 to 20 minutes and I went to go kick it over and put in a few more laps and the kickstarter was locked up, or at least it felt like it. If I let my foot rest on it, eventually it would release and go down, but once I let it back up, it locked. I'm a pretty heavy guy and I couldn't get the SOB to kick over at all, so I know I wasn't just being a pansy. I tried run starting it, but the wheel would just lock up.

Called the shop, explained this to them, and the tech said to bring it in. I asked him if he had heard of this before on the new bikes and he said yes, and that it was the "something decompressor something." I know nothing about 4-stroke motors (yet) and I'm a bit afraid to go digging into this thing being its only 3 weeks old (not to mention the wires running everywhere).

I also asked the tech if this was possibly a recall and if I would be charged for the fix. He said no (to the recall) and "probably not" (get charged) given that that's the problem. I will bring the bike in Monday and update y'all as I know more.

To say the least I'm not very happy about the whole situation. The bike has 3 hours total on it and I have changed oil twice, and the tranny oil once already. I'm far from pro, so the bike hasn't seen any ragging at all. I haven't wrecked it but once, and all it did was fall on it's side. We'll see what happens. I know that dirt bikes don't come with warranties, but I'll say this, Honda better back their product if they wanna keep me buying them. (I have a lot of other honda stuff, generator, power washer, etc...)
"
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Who said all that? Just for curiosity sake.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

It's a quote from here---} http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showth ... p?t=170398
xtremeslide wrote:
Well, I ran into a snag this weekend. Got to the track around 10:30 Saturday. This was the second weekend I've had the bike out. Bike was running just fine until about 2:00. I had stopped to take a break for about 15 to 20 minutes and I went to go kick it over and put in a few more laps and the kickstarter was locked up, or at least it felt like it. If I let my foot rest on it, eventually it would release and go down, but once I let it back up, it locked. I'm a pretty heavy guy and I couldn't get the SOB to kick over at all, so I know I wasn't just being a pansy. I tried run starting it, but the wheel would just lock up.

Called the shop, explained this to them, and the tech said to bring it in. I asked him if he had heard of this before on the new bikes and he said yes, and that it was the "something decompressor something." I know nothing about 4-stroke motors (yet) and I'm a bit afraid to go digging into this thing being its only 3 weeks old (not to mention the wires running everywhere).

I also asked the tech if this was possibly a recall and if I would be charged for the fix. He said no (to the recall) and "probably not" (get charged) given that that's the problem. I will bring the bike in Monday and update y'all as I know more.

To say the least I'm not very happy about the whole situation. The bike has 3 hours total on it and I have changed oil twice, and the tranny oil once already. I'm far from pro, so the bike hasn't seen any ragging at all. I haven't wrecked it but once, and all it did was fall on it's side. We'll see what happens. I know that dirt bikes don't come with warranties, but I'll say this, Honda better back their product if they wanna keep me buying them. (I have a lot of other honda stuff, generator, power washer, etc...)
"
I have a hard time following this guy myself :lol: :lol:
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
MICK

Post by MICK »

JBaze wrote:I would like to know, before the 4 strokes got so popular, how many guys lost the championship because the bike didn't start, because I never remember seeing the results and seeing a DNS. Once. Ever.
You wouldn't find anything...that's my point. These problems never existed until now. DNS? What the fuck is that?!?!?
mike hunt wrote:Check this out www.dirtrider.net go to 4 stroke discussion and look under 09 CRF 450 problem already.
I've ridden two of them so far. They're fucking G-A-R-B-A-G-E!!! honda is so god damn stupid :toilet:
xtremeslide wrote:"I had stopped to take a break for about 15 to 20 minutes and I went to go kick it over and put in a few more laps and the kickstarter was locked up, or at least it felt like it. I tried run starting it, but the wheel would just lock up.
...To say the least I'm not very happy about the whole situation. The bike has 3 hours total on it and I have changed oil twice, and the tranny oil once already. I'm far from pro, so the bike hasn't seen any ragging at all."
And another guy who needs MFDB's number. This is what the bike at Monster Mountain was doing...same exact fucking thing!!
M.F.D.B. wrote:I have a 450 thats been riddin hard as HELL since 06 when it was new and you know how many times ive rebuilt this "$1,000,000" top end? NOT ONCE!! Havnt even needed to adjust the FRIGGIN VALVES not ONCE.
:roll: :roll: It's gotta be something in the water??
britincali

Post by britincali »

MICK wrote:. DNS? What the fuck is that?!?!?
??

Dead Nigger Storage :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok