guys, they are making it harder to hate thumpers...

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

I HAD CRF 450 03 IT WAS A GOOD BIKE,GOOD HANDLING,ETC....BUT THE FEELINGS COMPARED WITH MY 500 2 STROKE ENGINE IS FAR DIFFERENTS THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT A CR500 AGAIN,AND I WILL BUY MORE...
I RIDE MOTORBIKES FOR FEELINGS NOT FOR SECONDS IN A LAP BUT I THINK THAT IN SOME TRACKS 500 IS FASTER........IT DEPENDS HOW LONG YOU WAS RIDING 4 STROKES OR TWO AND HOW YOU ADAPTED TO IT
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

It's not really opinions dude it's facts of what we see when were out. I have seen many 4 smokes that run fine, out at the dunes thats pratty much all you see here. But for the same amount of bikes I see running, I also see almost as many being pulled out on a litter! As far as buying one, personally, I wouldn't waste my money just to see how long it will last. After what I've seen with them and the cost of repair, it's just not a bike that really interests me to own.
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

Man it depends:
Facts.........well new motocross 4 strokes give a lot of problems and i see
maintenace is more expensive,some times don't start,etc,etc...i agree

but if we talk about 4 strokes i don't remeber nobody who had problems with a HONDA XR and i saw a lot and speaked with owners(i had one too) and i raced with it,went to work,traveled and goes to the beach,10 years
only with oil and fuel and some times a little check the first shit that i saw in 400 was a friend's WR which burned in fire after start the engine with 5 months,and i saw many of this new thumpers in the garbage after 2 or 3 years
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Difference is, you didn't see XR's running in Moto or Super X.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

Exnav wrote:Difference is, you didn't see XR's running in Moto or Super X.
I DIDN'T?.......... IN SX BUT IN MX.......................

CR500R
V-MAX 1200
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

xtremeslide wrote:
Exnav wrote:Difference is, you didn't see XR's running in Moto or Super X.
I DIDN'T?.......... IN SX BUT IN MX.......................

Kent Howerton rode an RM
Bob Hannah rode a YZ and CR
Johnny O rode a Mugen and a CR and RM
Jeff Ward rode KX's
Jeff Stanton rode CR's
the list can go on and on and I'm talking about AMA MOTO and SUPER Cross. See my point?
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

I know i know........... :lmao: just kidding ex-nav that was a joke,the photo is a proto made in switzerland like a reply against new YZ-F in the late 90's 47hp-240lbs
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Cool :)
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

So I notice that all the guys who hate on thumpers always bring up reliability. Lets see, MXr's are only offered to the public to HOMOLOGATE them per AMA rules. When was the last time a full blowen race machine was ever designed for ultra long term maintenance intervals??

Its funny how all 4 strokers get lumped into the "thumpers are to expensive, high maintenance yada yada". Let me refresh your mind about ALL the other thumpers you guys seem to forget about that are friggin BULLET PROOF even compared to a cr500:

XR250/400/650
KLX400/DRZ400
KLR/KLX650
Most TTR's
YZ400/426

Replace the titanium with Stainless, clean your friggin air filter PROPERLY and OFTEN and change your oil and you are good to go.

The list goes on and on. If two strokes were the only motors that could be trusted, your car, generator, lawnmower etc wouldnt be 4 stroke then would they?

Dont hate, educate...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

maintinence is deffinately key, we pull the jug on the ktm race bikes every 4 race days. Usually theres nothing happening, but we have caught the tip off a valvespring, pistons cracked thu the pin area in oem stuff, CP's cracked in the dome. Theres a lil gear thats pressed onto a splined shaft that sometimes loosens. No big deal if you look for it.
When the kid raced the 2strokes we checked them at the same intervals, and it was probably similar amount of problems.
the only difference is the $ is how much it takes to get to what you're replacing. the 4stroke is a pile more work and you have to know what you're dooing with the enigine as far as torque, and valvetrain, but almost anybody can make a 2stroke run for a year or more. Its likely 3-4 times as long to change a piston on a 4stroke.
If I could justify paying as much for one bike as I have in my 88,91,00 500's, pw50, and z50 I'd have a new KTM 450. The cuz is getting 2 of Nick Wey's bikes and can opt to keep one at the end of the season. Last time he came trail riding with a race bike that thing whistled steam the entire ride.
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

I know that some people don't like 4 strokes for.........whatever,but i'm selling two bikes (obviously for buy a CR 500 "one more pretty rebuild" i need three in my garage one rebuild pure stock,one AF and other just for fun),well........ i'm selling a YZ 250 and a Husky TE 610.

I don't give a shit about YZ (i want to sell it right now)but ....with my 610 TE today i was in tracks,lonely roads,etc,etc......... and i remembered this thread,feelings are different (i know baze no opinions) but in this case i'm going to give my opinion i'm a CR 500 Fan but also i like dirt-bikes and supermotos ( :cool: ) in general i think that every bike is for something different and is stupid think that a CR could win the DAKAR(maybe if Honda had interest in smokers) or a XR 250 is better in the dunes,after this i don't sell the HUSQVARNA i'm going to keep it,of couse i'll going to full my garage with CR's 500........... 3 i want 3 ,but the 610 HUSKY will not leave my garage :lol: picture of my old but fast thumper AND RELIABLE:

CR500R
V-MAX 1200
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

If terrain was different theres an extremely low hour 520ktm sitting in the garage that i could take for 4000. I havent the cash for that, but i've rode it and its a dammn cool bike for wide trails and "checking fields"
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

xtremeslide wrote:I know that some people don't like 4 strokes for.........whatever,but i'm selling two bikes (obviously for buy a CR 500 "one more pretty rebuild" i need three in my garage one rebuild pure stock,one AF and other just for fun),well........ i'm selling a YZ 250 and a Husky TE 610.

I don't give a shit about YZ (i want to sell it right now)but ....with my 610 TE today i was in tracks,lonely roads,etc,etc......... and i remembered this thread,feelings are different (i know baze no opinions) but in this case i'm going to give my opinion i'm a CR 500 Fan but also i like dirt-bikes and supermotos ( :cool: ) in general i think that every bike is for something different and is stupid think that a CR could win the DAKAR(maybe if Honda had interest in smokers) or a XR 250 is better in the dunes,after this i don't sell the HUSQVARNA i'm going to keep it,of couse i'll going to full my garage with CR's 500........... 3 i want 3 ,but the 610 HUSKY will not leave my garage :lol: picture of my old but fast thumper AND RELIABLE:

I hear you man. I have nothing against 4 strokes at all. I grew up riding the XR's. I have an 07 XR650l that I ride more than my CR. I think that the 4 strokes that they built to replace the 2 strokes are over priced time bombs. If they could build the new MXrs to be as reliable as the old XR's DR's TT's that would be a whole other story. When I was just starting out riding the old guys were always saying that 2 strokes were unreliable and people who owned them were always working on them. I find it funny that 25 years later here we are saying the new 4 strokes are that. Ironic.

xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

Baze i agree it's ironic
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
Robpta

Post by Robpta »

I will admit I do enjoy riding a 450 when i get the chance. But trade my 500 for it? I don't think so.

If I could I would have both! :)
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

Ya and i will take one MV Agusta F4 a garage full of cr 500s and a blonde that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch :lol:
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

mike hunt wrote:Ya and i will take one MV Agusta F4 a garage full of cr 500s and a blonde that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch :lol:
Man i have now two CR's 500 (one rebuilding)only need the AF ,blondies are everywhere and my girlfriend do the things right,and MV Augusta is the bike of Tom Cruise i prefer Ducati :cool:
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
redrider

Post by redrider »

xtremeslide wrote:
mike hunt wrote:Ya and i will take one MV Agusta F4 a garage full of cr 500s and a blonde that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch :lol:
Man i have now two CR's 500 (one rebuilding)only need the AF ,blondies are everywhere and my girlfriend do the things right,and MV Augusta is the bike of Tom Cruise i prefer Ducati :cool:

X2 keep that, I could have one hell of a party with a buck twenty. If you took any rider and put them on one of those, then put them on any one of those other cheap, silly "mega-sick" 4 cyl bikes, they probably couldn't tell the difference if they didn't look at the completely irrelevant designer watch that they had to include with $120,000 "premier" bike. Every day I see some donkeysquid gomer riding one of these pieces of suck. I actually wish they were all 120k. No more poser college fags that think they can ride. Boy I can't wait to get some slicks! BRAAAAAAAAAAAAP!
I'd rather be hauling ass
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

I'd still take the MV at least I'd look like a hot fag. :cool:
redrider

Post by redrider »

mike hunt wrote:I'd still take the MV at least I'd look like a hot fag. :cool:
Yeah I don't know, its just something about those goofy fairings. I love motorcycles, but around here it looks like a tool academy with 'em. But hey if looks are your thing :cool: I know theres alot of good people out there riding them (4bangers), but its hard for me to not automatically discount them when 90% of them are in at least one of the following:

"Cool" sunglasses, no helmet
sandals
a throwback
a flatbill
a frat
some dude's ass

Don't get me wrong, Im going to get a sportbike, it just won't be japanese or over 100k

I'm sure you're a great guy that's just misguided right now. (unless you competitively ride them)
I'd rather be hauling ass
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

I've owned A CBR 900 and three yamaha R6 these bikes are great. I could never afford a MV and i know what you mean by poser i'm not into that BS i just thought the MV looks amazing.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

you know what, I don't care who you are, those japo inline 4's are a freaken blast! and they perform so well and are so reliable for an incredibly low cost! you can walk inot a dealer and for under 15K have a fucking race bike! not so bad if you ask me. you still can't control the idiot who ride them, so who cares, its darwinism! if they ride around a buza in flip flops, sunglasses and a flat bill hat, they aren't going to get back up when the thing does go down! Just hopefully it happens before they have a chance to reproduce! :lol:

One thing I see a lot of here is brothers on buzas with cruiser cap style helmets and rear tires worn into a flat spot doing like 55 on the freeway with their bitches ass out for everyone to see :roll: LAME :roll:

My buddy Dan let me borrow his r1 for a couple weeks and that was about the most fun I'm ever had on the street :twisted: topped out 6th on st rose pkwy twice a day! I swear speeds like that make your pecker go into hiding worse than a cold swimming pool :lol: :lol: It was street fightered out because it got laid down once and you totally forget how much a windsheild helps you stay on the bike :shock:
Unfortunatelly you can help what kind of assholes like the cool toys too :roll: kinda like %90 of corvette owners!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Say what you want about Jap 4 bangers, ill run circles around a V-twin all day on mine. I love V-twin torque, and the sound is AWESOME but they simply cant hang with the high horse 4 bangers. By the way, an MV Agusta is no where near 6 figgas, and they handle and haul ass just as good as they look. If you havnt ridden a high end Euro dont hate on what you are ignorant of please...

Seems like a lot of people in this thread are ok with spreading "rumors and opinions" of which they have little to ZERO first hand knowlegde of...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
MICK

Post by MICK »

M.F.D.B. wrote:So I notice that all the guys who hate on thumpers always bring up reliability. Lets see, MXr's are only offered to the public to HOMOLOGATE them per AMA rules. When was the last time a full blowen race machine was ever designed for ultra long term maintenance intervals??

Its funny how all 4 strokers get lumped into the "thumpers are to expensive, high maintenance yada yada". Let me refresh your mind about ALL the other thumpers you guys seem to forget about that are friggin BULLET PROOF even compared to a cr500:

XR250/400/650
KLX400/DRZ400
KLR/KLX650
Most TTR's
YZ400/426

Replace the titanium with Stainless, clean your friggin air filter PROPERLY and OFTEN and change your oil and you are good to go.

The list goes on and on. If two strokes were the only motors that could be trusted, your car, generator, lawnmower etc wouldnt be 4 stroke then would they?
Not even close :roll:
The CR500 was more race bike than just about anybody could handle. Seems to hold up just fine. Again you pretend that 450s are somehow better because they're newer?? More expensive?? Funny...they're still heavier, are a real pleasure to start and still produce less power.
Your list of bikes is interesting?? The XRs were fine machines...funny you slipped the YZ400/426 into there :lmao: It belongs as much to that list of good four strokes as Paris Hilton does to women you want to bring home to meet the parents...
We all love four strokes. They're more apart of our lives than two strokes are. Again my lawnmower runs great! So does the truck...and my V-Twin superbike. But I'm not embracing four stroke "MX bikes" until they're cheaper, more reliable, yeild higher performance and most importantly are funner to ride than two strokes. They have acheived non of this. They have become very competitive, you can't argue that. But they've got a long way to go yet until they're as good as you'd like me to believe they are.

Check it out "My First Dirt Bike". I've been riding and racing for almost two decades. I've got more time on fourstrokes than you do. I wish I was as happy about todays current crop of MX bikes as todays kids are. But I'm not a product of the MTV generation. Loud noises and expensive toys don't cloud my judgement. It was a mistake trading two strokes for four. It would have been a blessing to introduce the fourstrokes in addition to...
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MICK wrote: But I'm not embracing four stroke "MX bikes" until they're cheaper, more reliable, yeild higher performance and most importantly are funner to ride than two strokes.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

XR's are way more related to our beloved 500's...

Fun
Reliable
High " Smiles per gallon" rating.
Torquey
Rock Solid :applaud:

Dont see too many 4 bangers riding this slop.....