MPS 500 AF welds exposed

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

m178 wrote:I wouldn't think that a good strong weld that look's decent would be to much to ask from a pro.

X2 If the person doing the welding was a professional, the welds would look good and be strong as hell too.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

JBaze wrote:
m178 wrote:I wouldn't think that a good strong weld that look's decent would be to much to ask from a pro.

X2 If the person doing the welding was a professional, the welds would look good and be strong as hell too.
Image One would think...
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

If I ever thought to spend the 17 bills to have a fame done, Mike would be my only choice. His welds are the best I've seen, and since I'm picky as hell, he would have my business...again.

Sometimes I think of my frame as a $2K+ conversion. I spent money on a new welder, screwed up some tubing along the way, and learned a new skill in the process. Am I an expert welder? No....but I've been welding/brazing steel for almost 30 years, and I do know what to look for in a bead. I've used an aluminum mig a few times... that was child's play. Easy but not cosmetically useful.

Building this conversion is my first real attempt at welding aluminum. Are my welds pretty? No. I sat down, concentrated on what I was doing, and did the best I could. I wanted strength and cosmetics, unfortunately I lack in the cosmetics department, for now.
I don't think they are too god-aweful ugly(with the experience I had/have), but I have seen worse.
One day I can pick up the tortch/mig (whatever) and lay down a good bead w/o even trying, other days I can't get shit to flow.
In the end I did it myself, and I would never try to cover anything up, it is what it is. I use towels for protecting, not covering.

If people are happy w/MPS quality (or lack of quality), then that's OK w/me. I sure wouldn't have one. Seems everyone is impressed w/Mikes work, and he sure as fuck shouldn't be shot down for a job well done (not kissing any ass here), or given any flack of his time schedule. I own/operate an auto shop, I can say there is always that job that "should have been done a long time ago", but there is always others of more importance.
I had some lame-ass Mexican (not that all Mexicans are lame asses) gripe and complain that their POS truck wasn't finished promptly. Well, I put off other work to keep the bitch quiet..... it's been finished for a month and she still hasn't paid for it/picked it up. I have other jobs/people that pay well, so they get the #1 spot.
So....I know where Mike comes from. It's the jobs, the people, and who pays/doesn't pay (can't put their money where their big mouth is) that dictates priority.

As for SH, I wouldn't have one either.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Wheelie-Gene wrote: Sometimes I think of my frame as a $2K+ conversion. I spent money on a new welder, screwed up some tubing along the way, and learned a new skill in the process. ..... I sat down, concentrated on what I was doing, and did the best I could. .....
In the end I did it myself, and I would never try to cover anything up, it is what it is. I use towels for protecting, not covering.
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

AlisoBob wrote:
Wheelie-Gene wrote: Sometimes I think of my frame as a $2K+ conversion. I spent money on a new welder, screwed up some tubing along the way, and learned a new skill in the process. ..... I sat down, concentrated on what I was doing, and did the best I could. .....
:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:
I'm with you on this one as I'm on the fence about doing the same thing. I've been fabricating roll cages, bumpers, race truck parts etc. since high school and have pretty much worn out my mig welder. I really like what Mike is doing and would love to have him do a frame for me. But buying a tig welder and and putting away my old mig sounds pretty appealing right now.....
chachi243

Post by chachi243 »

JBaze wrote:
As far as R&D, thats a bill the company should pick up, not pass on to the consumer..
thats the most backwards thing ive read on here in awhile. so your dad certified for 35 years shouldnt get paid more than a guy who has been certified for one year, as per your statement.......you must not own your own company or develop a product. If you think we arent paying Honda or Yamaha for R&D when we buy a CBR1000RR R1 or a eu1000 generator you are crazy.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

chachi243 wrote:
JBaze wrote:
As far as R&D, thats a bill the company should pick up, not pass on to the consumer..
thats the most retarded thing ive read on here in awhile. so your dad certified for 35 years shouldnt get paid more than a guy who has been certified for one year, as per your statement.......you obviously do not own your own company. If you think we arent paying Honda or Yamaha for R&D when we buy a CBR1000RR R1 or a eu1000 generator you are crazy.

No I don't own my own company, but the consumer should not be made to pay for some dumb fuck trying to learn how to weld. Paying for R&D is rolled into the price of shit I'm not stupid fuck head, what I'm saying is if your paying a premium price for something it should be made right, and made to look worth while, not like some shop class project thats going to get a D- for it's grade. :)
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

AlisoBob wrote:
HrcRacing wrote:I couldn't give a fuck if they were butt ugly as long as they held up.
Says the man with the plated pipe....

:lol:
No, says the lazy man with the plated pipe. :wink: :lol: But, truth be known, yeah, I've got some bling on my bike but I'm not sitting around stressing weld cosmetics.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

chachi243 wrote:
JBaze wrote:
thats the most backwards thing ive read on here in awhile. so your dad certified for 35 years shouldnt get paid more than a guy who has been certified for one year, as per your statement.......you must not own your own company or develop a product. If you think we arent paying Honda or Yamaha for R&D when we buy a CBR1000RR R1 or a eu1000 generator you are crazy.
Your quote was changed before I posted my rebutal, I think seinority yeilds higher pay yes. But as a company specifically taking structural integrity and messing with that, I would think they would hire professional welders to do the job. If Honda or Yamaha was in the middle of R&D and sent shit out that looked like that they would be out of business. $1700 is a high end price to pay for this conversion, aside from buying a complete bike, for that much money it should look like it was built by a pro.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Mik329 wrote:......buying a tig welder and and putting away my old mig sounds pretty appealing right now.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-DIVERSION-16 ... 240%3A1318

$1400, your in business
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

I wouldn't feel comfortable with a machine welding frames without at least 210+ amps and would still use a Helium mix :wink:

Buy something good that fits your application or don't waste your money period!

You wouldn't try to change a tire with a 3" long wrench would you?

Danny don't answer that! :wink:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

teemtrubble wrote: You wouldn't try to change a tire with a 3" long wrench would you?

Danny don't answer that! :wink:
:nanna: :nanna: :nanna: :nanna:
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
CR500 4 Ever

Post by CR500 4 Ever »

Red958 wrote:I'm glad I just ride my SH instead of looking at it's welds (which BTW look just fine) all day.
exactly :!:
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

CR500 4 Ever wrote:
Red958 wrote:I'm glad I just ride my SH instead of looking at it's welds (which BTW look just fine) all day.
good for you guys, Some people care and some people dont care...there, it's settled...

me personally, i care...imo if you don't have respect for the way your bike looks, then you probably don't have any respect for your own body and you probably look like a bag of shit...i wouldn't let my body look like shit and i will never let any of my newer bikes look like shit...
Red958

Post by Red958 »

Balaclava wrote:
CR500 4 Ever wrote:
good for you guys, Some people care and some people dont care...there, it's settled...

me personally, i care...imo if you don't have respect for the way your bike looks, then you probably don't have any respect for your own body and you probably look like a bag of shit...i wouldn't let my body look like shit and i will never let any of my newer bikes look like shit...
WTF are you talking about ? "if you don't have respect for the way your bike looks, then you probably don't have any respect for your own body and you probably look like a bag of shit"
Now that's a classic line, love it ! There's more important things to worry about than the welds on the bottom of a 500AF. I can sleep tonight knowing that you have RESPECT for the way your bike looks, what a crack up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Most of the time I keep my bikes looking sharp.
Most of the time I don't give a shit how I look.
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
Red958

Post by Red958 »

Wheelie-Gene wrote:Most of the time I keep my bikes looking sharp.
Most of the time I don't give a shit how I look.
Amen brother.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

To me, the $$$ saved building your own A/F equals a lifetime of fresh tires and gas......

:wink: :wink:
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

My welds aren't the fanciest around but I only paid the guy with a 30 pack of Bud Light.
03 CRF450/85 500
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

'87 CR500R / (2) '01 CR500R / '02 MPS CR500R AF / '06 XR650R / '06 XR650L / '01 XR400R / '01 FLHTCUI / '04 CRF 450R / '84 CR500R / '89 Transalp /'05 CRF450X / '02 XR200R
Jay Birdsong

Don't you know about the Bird?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

AlisoBob wrote:[

This ones better.....
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Red958 wrote:
Balaclava wrote:
CR500 4 Ever wrote: exactly :!:

WTF are you talking about ? "if you don't have respect for the way your bike looks, then you probably don't have any respect for your own body and you probably look like a bag of shit"
Now that's a classic line, love it ! There's more important things to worry about than the welds on the bottom of a 500AF. I can sleep tonight knowing that you have RESPECT for the way your bike looks, what a crack up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: alright sleep tight...

sorry that my homemade frame looks a million times better then your stupid fucking mps bike...and BTW this bike is 100% the result of paying attention, studying up on the builds, asking many questions and yes CARING about my fucking work...and i have this site alone to thank for it...people at banned aren't fucking lame ass holes who congratulate everybody's shitty fucking work...my first bike looks exactly like the mps 450, and now my 2nd bike looks 100X better...you know why? because i want to keep improving...I don't think there is anything wrong in taking pride in yourself and everything you do...
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Balaclava wrote:... I have this site alone to thank for it...people at banned aren't fucking lame ass holes who congratulate everybody's shitty fucking work....
I got some good " Atta' boy's" on my build.... and it really meant someting for the reasons stated above.

When this site says " Great job!", it means something.

So does... "it looks like shit"

Jay told some one once.... "That looks like shit"....

I allmost fell out of my chair!

This site isnt Girls Softball..... its real world.

Anyone who plays Girls Softball knows exactly what I mean.

:wink:
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Looks good Balaclava. What year and generation is your second build again? A guy here is trying pretty hard to dump a blown up 02 450 and I seriously considering picking it up.

Well said Bob.
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

I can recall several builds at the 500 site of people posting pics of their builds....that looked like shit..... AND THE OTHERS WERE GIVING THEM PRAISES. What retarded morons.
I would have shot up and posted a POS statement, but I figured they'd hate me more than they already did.

I got the impression real fast here that peeps, in fact, have to do really great work to get congrats. It's good also to hand out the POS statements when it's warranted.

How long is this discussion going to last anyway?
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F