Resale Value CR250/125 Engines

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

the 02 250 I'm planning on hacking i bought in 04 i think. It was the mintest bike I'd ever seen, and i have hardly rode it, has absolutely everything still original, i did check the cyl and piston after it sat for a whole year. i put a ring in it because i was there, but its NICE! I cant find anything else arround here either tho.

here it is with my bro's extended 04, even in this pic from 06 it has less paint wore off the clutch cover than the '04 does, its probably had 10 trail rides on it since, and I give the kid a ride arround the yard cuz he doesnt sit weel on the wide '88 500 tank.

The bike went to that climb with a brand new millville on the back, that same tire still has the tits on the side lugs!

Last edited by Roostius_Maximus on October 7th, 2008, 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

02 and 03 are the same frame right? gen 2 is 00 and 01? that would be a clean conversion bike...that's what i'm all about now...the cleaner the roller the better...my last bike i basically got the roller for nothing but had to put new bearings and seals everywhere...i want to avoid that this time...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

gen-2 and 3 basically convert the same except for the swingarm spacing and using a 125 gen-3 swingarm bushings make the gen-3 even cleaner!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

oh man...i might buy this bike tonight...Anything else besides the spacers that makes a gen 3 even cleaner? common dannygraves give me more incentive to do this conversion!!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I did my gen-3 frame the same way my cousin "hoofarted" did his gen-2 if you look in the builds section and it came out real nice. othere than that pretty much everything else bolts right up, no issues with the tank, the rads don't really require any modification except bending the crossovers forward and getting a 3/4-5/8 adaptor for the lower hose. I haven't done the airbox on mine yet, but it ooks like swapping in a gen-2 boot lines up well and the airfilter and bolt pattern are the same, so it looks OE. exhaust mounting will probably be the worst part, but you could just buy a gen-3 specific exhaust from TTM Mike and not have to mod anything :cool:
honestly, I think the gen-3 is the easiest and cleanest conversion. the gen-4 is a major PITA, the gen-1 although easy as far as frame mods, the swingarm spacers don't come out as clean and the tank requires major reshaping and a shorty plug is required.
plus, the gen-2 and 3 have a similar rad. setup as a 500, so the stock upper hoses modded work, the gen-1 and 4 either require adding an upper inlet on the right are a Y with more hose mods.

all in all, I think the gen-3 is a winner! an '02 is almost the exact same bike as a '07, so body work, suspension everything is great and availability on parts and accessories is bar none.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ok i honestly didn't want you to do that :x ...you just convinced the piss out of me that this will be a good thing...if there isn't any tank issue then i suppose there will be no lower clutch cover bolt issue with the frame? or is a notch still necessary? how much plug clearance are we talking here? oh and the oem airboot/box sounds niiiiiice...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

does team trubble sell only pro circuit cr5 pipes? and by gen 3 specific you mean he has these pipes modded to fit the existing 250 mounts?
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

On my Gen 2, I didn't mod the tank at all, and I had to notch just alittle for the bolt on the bottom. I had reservations about cutting up a perfectly good bike, but after I got over that, the build was fun and a very good learning experience. Now I wouldn't trade back for anything.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

my sawsall will be screamin like a horny angel!

I've gotta call Mike anyways and get a tracking # from him on some other stuff, I'd better find out about that pipe!
I've got a procircuit here i was going to use, but is it hard to fit?
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

JBaze wrote:On my Gen 2, I didn't mod the tank at all, and I had to notch just alittle for the bolt on the bottom. I had reservations about cutting up a perfectly good bike, but after I got over that, the build was fun and a very good learning experience. Now I wouldn't trade back for anything.
why did you notch it though? just for that extra bit of engine rotation? I had no problem cutting up such a beat up 450, but i had alot bigger problem buying every little thing it needed to ride like new again...so cutting up such a nice bike saves you all those little expenses, but seems like such a bigger risk... :twisted:
Roostius_Maximus wrote:my sawsall will be screamin like a horny angel!

I've gotta call Mike anyways and get a tracking # from him on some other stuff, I'd better find out about that pipe!
I've got a procircuit here i was going to use, but is it hard to fit?
where is mt nebo in manitoba?...and are you asking if a pro circuit is hard to fit a 250? nothing is too hard about making up new mounts...but i would love to finish off a build by mounting my pipe to the 250 mounts!...
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

If its close I can make anything, except honey out of dogshit!

Do I have to modify my avitar to an AF and a redhead?
robertg

Post by robertg »

Balaclava wrote:^^i honestly would have no idea the suspension differences...

I'm SERIOUSLY looking at a PRIME and MINT 03 CR250, it's such a sick bike, this guy has owned it since it was new and has NEVER crashed it, the frame looks like it's off the showroom floor...My cousin has a Gen 1 125 and swears he loves that frame better then any other he has had a chance to ride...I am thinking of getting this bike because it is such a sick looking bike, taking the 250 engine and putting it in his gen 1 125...and getting me an older 500 engine, and blacking it right out and making me a Gen 3 500!...he wants 3 g's for it, but it's like NEW! if i buy it then I have to get rid of my 450...but then i'll have two AF's and this one will be saweeet...

has anybody ever had nightmares about gutting a perfectly good cr250 while doing a 500 conversion?

And does anybody know if there are any complications with doing a 250/125 conversion?

I looked at that bike a couple of weeks ago. I wanted a 250 but I ended up buying a 2004 125. It came from Minnesota, but the seller delivered it to the Border. I paid $950.00 for it. Lets see if I can attach a picture.Image[/img]
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

HOOOOOLY shit!!!...that is the mintest rolling chassis i have ever seen! who did you hook that up with? if i got a deal like that on something so clean i would be shitting myself as we speak...the bottom of the cradle almost looks like it's going to have to be completely modified on that 125? or am i just seeing things? anyways i think i'm going to buy this guys bike tonight...so we'll have to see who wins the race!! haha jk...
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

When I say notch, I mean I took off just a little. The reason for it, was to allow the lower engine mounts to line up with the engine. After the build, it looks factory and sits at the same pitch it did while in the steel frame.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

JBaze wrote:The reason for it, was to allow the lower engine mounts to line up with the engine.
the lower engine mounts on the 250? they line up with the 500 engine?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I live north of Morden, MB
robertg

Post by robertg »

Balaclava wrote:HOOOOOLY shit!!!...that is the mintest rolling chassis i have ever seen! who did you hook that up with? if i got a deal like that on something so clean i would be shitting myself as we speak...the bottom of the cradle almost looks like it's going to have to be completely modified on that 125? or am i just seeing things? anyways i think i'm going to buy this guys bike tonight...so we'll have to see who wins the race!! haha jk...
I found it on the Manitoba Motocross web site. It was a complete bike, but the seller was thinking of making a shifter cart. Now he has the motor for it.

It's a lot more work with the 125, that's for sure.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Yep. I had to mod the front mounts and tubes, props to shanman for the help and parts, and fab a headstay. Then space out the swing arm. The exhaust didn't require any giant mods worth mentioning add fuel and oil your on your way.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

robertg wrote:
Balaclava wrote:HOOOOOLY shit!!!...that is the mintest rolling chassis i have ever seen! who did you hook that up with? if i got a deal like that on something so clean i would be shitting myself as we speak...the bottom of the cradle almost looks like it's going to have to be completely modified on that 125? or am i just seeing things? anyways i think i'm going to buy this guys bike tonight...so we'll have to see who wins the race!! haha jk...
I found it on the Manitoba Motocross web site. It was a complete bike, but the seller was thinking of making a shifter cart. Now he has the motor for it.

It's a lot more work with the 125, that's for sure.
ya you will have to modify a whole new lower cradle...i just checked ttm mikes build...kinda rough...but if it comes out looking like his bike then you will have one fuckin amazing bike...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Balaclava wrote:
JBaze wrote:The reason for it, was to allow the lower engine mounts to line up with the engine.
yes, I didn't have to dig far into the frame, and the part that touched was a really beefy part, I just tapped it with the grinder. I'll try to get some pics.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

wow...Gen 3 sounds like a bike i could manage to build even on crutches. I have been looking around for gen 3 'Y' solutions...have no idea which route would be easiest. Hook up some pics danny that would be cool...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I did mine like algava did his, check it out on the cr500riders.com site.
it was super easy and the frame al together honestly took me like 3 hours. and I fabbed some front mounts out of 1/4" al stock, Algava reused the front mounts.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

dannygraves wrote:
Balaclava wrote:
yes, I didn't have to dig far into the frame, and the part that touched was a really beefy part, I just tapped it with the grinder. I'll try to get some pics.
I don't have a good picture. I get one tomorrow if you want. But like dannygraves said, I just used a barrle grinder on my dremel, and just kissed the weld the bolt hit. You can't even tell you did anything. :cool:
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

awesome...i'm not worried about it...i'm going to buy this bike tomorrow...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

snapped a couple pics with the camera phone last night. mine has been sitting like this because I want to take my gen-1 to dumont this weekend before I gut it, then the gen-3 will get going again.
the welds on the cradle are gonna get grinded down smooth.

'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80