Resale Value CR250/125 Engines

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
kkvslayer

Resale Value CR250/125 Engines

Post by kkvslayer »

Just curious of how much you get back from selling the engine from the rollers you use (particularly A GEN 1),assuming the engine is running fine with no problems,I'm not looking for exact #'s just a ballpark figure,Man I REEEEEEEEEEEALLY want a A/F 500.Thanks
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
Slow old Fart

Re: Resale Value CR250/125 Engines

Post by Slow old Fart »

kkvslayer wrote:Just curious of how much you get back from selling the engine from the rollers you use (particularly A GEN 1),assuming the engine is running fine with no problems,I'm not looking for exact #'s just a ballpark figure,Man I REEEEEEEEEEEALLY want a A/F 500.Thanks
The best thing about a Gen1 is the motor they are way better than the 02 and later CR 250 motors. The problem with the gen 1 is the gen 1 chassis and in my book don't bother building one.
kkvslayer

Re: Resale Value CR250/125 Engines

Post by kkvslayer »

Slow old Fart wrote:
kkvslayer wrote:Just curious of how much you get back from selling the engine from the rollers you use (particularly A GEN 1),assuming the engine is running fine with no problems,I'm not looking for exact #'s just a ballpark figure,Man I REEEEEEEEEEEALLY want a A/F 500.Thanks
The best thing about a Gen1 is the motor they are way better than the 02 and later CR 250 motors. The problem with the gen 1 is the gen 1 chassis and in my book don't bother building one.
I'm sure it would be better than my 86 steel frame
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

I don't know about a Gen 1, but I sold my '04 engine, carb, electronics w/FMF pipe & silencer for $1,100.00.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

don't listen to this guy gen-1s kickass over that '86 steelie! :wink:
I got $700 for my running motor w/ pipe, silencer, cdi, etc. everything I didn't need.
I paid $900 for the whole bike.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

dannygraves wrote:don't listen to this guy gen-1s kickass over that '86 steelie! :wink:
I got $700 for my running motor w/ pipe, silencer, cdi, etc. everything I didn't need.
I paid $900 for the whole bike.
I got $675.00 for my engine, carb and electronics. Sold the FMF pipe and silencer for another hundred. Paid more than Danny though for my donor 250.

SOF offers many opinions :roll:

Build what you want, whatever the Generation.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
britincali

Post by britincali »

A gen 1 is LEAGUES ahead of any steelie in the handling dept.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

britincali wrote:A gen 1 is LEAGUES ahead of any steelie in the handling dept.
Thats not necessarily true. If you are going to take the time to build one do a good one that you will keep.

The gen 1 is OK but by the time you update it to make it better you could of had a gen 3 250.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

dude, SOF I'm sick of hearing all your shit talk about gen-1s!
Mine is such and improvement over my '86 its not even funny! it cost me all together under a grand to do the conversion and get it setup... like to see you do a gen-3 for that :roll:
of coarse our buddy DeWayne was disappointed to hear I'm doing a gen-4, he says they are flimsy and insists the gen-1 was the best... not to say he is right, but you seem to hold him in high reguard... :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

dannygraves wrote:dude, SOF I'm sick of hearing all your shit talk about gen-1s!
Mine is such and improvement over my '86 its not even funny! it cost me all together under a grand to do the conversion and get it setup... like to see you do a gen-3 for that :roll:
of coarse our buddy DeWayne was disappointed to hear I'm doing a gen-4, he says they are flimsy and insists the gen-1 was the best... not to say he is right, but you seem to hold him in high reguard... :wink:
The bikes were thourghly hated 10 years ago by many who raced them when they came out. I fail to see why you think that has changed 10 years later. I had many a freind who went out and bought one of those things and then promtly sold them because how they rode.

It is 2008 not 1998 if you are going to do one do it right, SAVE a little more.

You guy's who think all the aluma tubes handle so much better than a steelie you may want to talk to Robbie Kneivel. He does not like the aluma tubs from the report I got at the old stumpers site.

I know what it is already the flex of the steelie on hard impacts absorbs energy when he takes a big hit. That is my guess anyhow but I would like to here why he will not jump a ALUMA TUB like a steelie. :)
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

dannygraves wrote:dude, SOF I'm sick of hearing all your shit talk about gen-1s!
Oh,and by the way you can do a gen 3 for not that much more.
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

Slow old Fart wrote:
The bikes were thourghly hated 10 years ago by many who raced them when they came out. I fail to see why you think that has changed 10 years later. I had many a freind who went out and bought one of those things and then promtly sold them because how they rode.

You guy's who think all the aluma tubes handle so much better than a steelie you may want to talk to Robbie Kneivel. He does not like the aluma tubs from the report I got at the old stumpers site.

I know what it is already the flex of the steelie on hard impacts absorbs energy when he takes a big hit. That is my guess anyhow but I would like to here why he will not jump a ALUMA TUB like a steelie. :)
I Ain't no racer and sure as fuk ain't no Robbie Knievel,I'm sure the Gen 1 will suit my needs fine :wink:
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

kkvslayer wrote:
Slow old Fart wrote:

I Ain't no racer and sure as fuk ain't no Robbie Knievel,I'm sure the Gen 1 will suit my needs fine :wink:
Go talk to Jack at the other site CR 500 riders.com. He built a GEN 1 first and he could not go to the next level of speed and we were trying to tell him in a polite way ( NOT ME I TOLD HIM IT SUCKED,I could rip on him on my 88 Cr500 on that thing with no problem) the bike was slowing him down on his single track and riding and he did not want to believe it just kept saying there was nothing wrong with the machine. This was in 2003 and it was a 1998 CR250 chassis and it had 2003 CRF 450 forks and newer shock and was all done up.

Go ask him if he would ever do a gen 1 again and he will probably tell you NO WAY!!!! he went to the next level once he dumped it.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

Slow old Fart wrote:
kkvslayer wrote:
Slow old Fart wrote: The bikes were thourghly hated 10 years ago by many who raced them when they came out. I fail to see why you think that has changed 10 years later. I had many a freind who went out and bought one of those things and then promtly sold them because how they rode.

Go talk to Jack at the other site CR 500 riders.com. He built a GEN 1 first and he could not go to the next level of speed and we were trying to tell him in a polite way ( NOT ME I TOLD HIM IT SUCKED,I could rip on him on my 88 Cr500 on that thing with no problem) the bike was slowing him down on his single track and riding and he did not want to believe it just kept saying there was nothing wrong with the machine. This was in 2003 and it was a 1998 CR250 chassis and it had 2003 CRF 450 forks and newer shock and was all done up.

Go ask him if he would ever do a gen 1 again and he will probably tell you NO WAY!!!! he went to the next level once he dumped it.
Yawn... :roll: Build a bike to fit your riding style, PERIOD. The GEN 1 fits me (short and Fat) better than the later gens. I feel like i sit IN it rather than On it. Handles great for me.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

One of the last posts I read from Slow before he went MIA, was to use duct tape and bailing wire and a radiator hose to make an air boot. So with that said, If I were Robbie Knevil (spell check) and read some shit like that, I wouldn't want to jump em either. Any way I rode steelies since 1987, and never to this day have ridden one of the 4 strokes. I built my Gen 2 from an 01 CR 250, and after riding that, I can say it handles better than any steel framed bike that I have ridden. Just build it. Opinions are like well you know.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

ive got 2 gen 1 bikes and love em
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Truthfuly, I have been seriously thinking of builing one myself. I have seen Gen 1 250's up here going for $600 to $1000 and can pick up a 500 for 1000 to 1500. Cant go wrong. The first bike I saw that made me want to do a conversion was a Gen 1.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

some people might hate me for this, but in the desert riding, I am faster on my gen-1 than on my gen-4... there, I said it!
the steering geometry and other things make it much better for the 5th gear washes and sand dunes. it turns slower on the twisties and it slightly less comfortable, but a great desert bike.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

I just bought a Gen 1. I brought it home two saturdays ago, i paid 850.00. last saturday i sold the motor for $500.00 on CL , probably could have gotten more on Ebay, but i hate the hassle of shipping big items. I always seem to lose my ass on the shipping. I am in a pretty nice roller for 350.00. hard to complain about that.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Well done dude! :cool:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

very nice!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
atank

Post by atank »

If you can get a Gen1 for a good price get it, the conversion is simple, and it handles great once you dial in the suspension, I love mine and it handles 75% better than my old 1996, and my old 1999 CR500. You can even still get plastic for them.
atank

Post by atank »

I ride in the tight woods, and my 1999 smokes all the strokers that I ride with. :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

So I've got an '01 cr125, and an '02 cr250 sitting I'm my garage, I pd 4300 for the 250 4.5 years ago (haven't rode it more than 4 times this yeak giving the kid a ride arround the yard), dude wants 3000 for the 125. Anybody here got a opinion of the suspension differences? I know the rear wheel width is different, what about suspension tho, 250 better? I'm 6'3" and wiegh 220lbs.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

^^i honestly would have no idea the suspension differences...

I'm SERIOUSLY looking at a PRIME and MINT 03 CR250, it's such a sick bike, this guy has owned it since it was new and has NEVER crashed it, the frame looks like it's off the showroom floor...My cousin has a Gen 1 125 and swears he loves that frame better then any other he has had a chance to ride...I am thinking of getting this bike because it is such a sick looking bike, taking the 250 engine and putting it in his gen 1 125...and getting me an older 500 engine, and blacking it right out and making me a Gen 3 500!...he wants 3 g's for it, but it's like NEW! if i buy it then I have to get rid of my 450...but then i'll have two AF's and this one will be saweeet...

has anybody ever had nightmares about gutting a perfectly good cr250 while doing a 500 conversion?

And does anybody know if there are any complications with doing a 250/125 conversion?