My '03 CRF450 conversion---Final pics!!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

eyesky2002 wrote:
Balaclava wrote:wicked man...you fuckin rule...you have single handedly figured most of the 450 conversion out for everyone...that looks sick, i'm gunna give her a tryi...
I did not figure out anything, just followed what others had done; only it took a while to have it come to vision in my mind.
well for this gen frame your thread is a very good guide to this conversion...
GOTWHEELS

Post by GOTWHEELS »

eyesky2002 wrote:
Balaclava wrote:so the 250 boot fits the 500 carb? can't wait for the bike pics...
Yes fits perfect, both the 250 and 500 PJ's have the same inlet size only the bore is different. Nothing is going to line up with the 450 boot pattern, so only thing left to do was make a new face for the box.
eyesky2002,
wHEN YOU GOT DONE WITH AIR BOX, CAN YOU TAKE SUBFRAME AND AIRBOX OFF AND ON FARELY EASY? I have the same frame, but using A K&N on A pipe. Would like to use air box, but also need something that come off and on for service.
Thx.
Gix

Post by Gix »

GOTWHEELS wrote:
eyesky2002 wrote:
Balaclava wrote:so the 250 boot fits the 500 carb? can't wait for the bike pics...
Yes fits perfect, both the 250 and 500 PJ's have the same inlet size only the bore is different. Nothing is going to line up with the 450 boot pattern, so only thing left to do was make a new face for the box.
eyesky2002,
wHEN YOU GOT DONE WITH AIR BOX, CAN YOU TAKE SUBFRAME AND AIRBOX OFF AND ON FARELY EASY? I have the same frame, but using A K&N on A pipe. Would like to use air box, but also need something that come off and on for service.
Thx.
I'm running a K&N inside a standard 450 airbox and using a 62mm fork gaiter rubber from carb to airbox.
450 airbox has plate over front with a 62mm outlet
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

GOTWHEELS wrote:
eyesky2002 wrote:
eyesky2002,
Thx.
No different the taking off the subframe, well there is the little screw on the carb clamp :wink:
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Woo Hoo... Got a load of goodies in today, forgot what it felt like to be a kid on Christmas :D

Wheels and disks look sweet as does the new SDG tall seat; wheels came with back disk and sproket bolts, but no front disk bolts :? Tubes, rim strips, wheel locks and tire tools made it here too, tires will be here Thursday along with a new stand so I can retire the milk creats.....

Got the new Pro Circuit silencer last week, waiting on mounts to fab the front subframe attaching point. Also ordered a new 01 CR250 right rad, if it gets here this week I hope to fire this bad boy up this week end :twisted:

Here are a few spoliers!!

Last edited by eyesky2002 on December 3rd, 2008, 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
ben

Post by ben »

looking sweet wont be long untill mines done now
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ya i'm just about finished also...but yours looks awesome...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

hey eyesky can you hook up a picture of what you did for your exhaust pipe mount by the subframe bolt?

Is that mount 100% necessary? if so how come?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Made some major progress, almost looks like a bike now :lol:

New DNA wheels w/ new Starcross tires and ultra heavy duty tubes, dual wheel locks in back. Front disk bolts and right radiator will be in tomorrow, so I will be bringing this monster to life this weekend. Only thing left to order are the plastics, chain/sprokets and a front brake system :)

First I off seeing many smaller MX bikes with only one silencer mount have lose or sloppy exhaust systems, I think having 2 is important for this application; one may work, but what is a few mintues to fab up a mount. Just my 2 cents :wink:

Here are my silencer mounts, pipe was a little long for my application. Had to trim almost a half inch off the front part of the pipe where it slides into the expansion chamber. The mounts themselves are from a 86-89 TRX250R, had one back in the day and just new the mounts would work for this; so I got me a set off the bay. Had to use the back fender hole as the silencer is just a tad bit too long. The front mount is a hole drilled in the subframe an nutted insert pressed in (the old fuel valve mount I wacked off the frame :shock: ) . I am going take the subframe down Monday to have the front mount welded in and the old exhaust mount band sawed off, leaving only the number plate part of the mount. Also got a blingy clamp to seal the junction of the pipes, should look sweet.

Front mount
Back mount
Last edited by eyesky2002 on December 3rd, 2008, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
atank

Post by atank »

Man thats a nice looking bike, I bet you can't wait to move some mountains with it :D
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Got the new right radiator yesterday, was not happy with the way the lower cross over fit between the engine and frame; much different then the old bent leaky one :roll: Decided to cut the cross over off and have it covered, chopped the top outlet off the old bent leaky rad and will have it welded on like in the pic. Hoped to have it running today, but this will make the whole build that much better. Time to search for a new cross over hose :?

Beast almost does not fit in the back of the Ranger :shock:

Last edited by eyesky2002 on December 3rd, 2008, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Man, that looks great! What kind of hubs are those? They look sa-weet! :cool:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

CR500R-G3 wrote:Man, that looks great! What kind of hubs are those? They look sa-weet! :cool:
Thanks Robert :D

They are DNA wheels with JT Braking rotors. We will see how they hold up; heard mixed reviews, but nothing too bad.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

eyesky2002 wrote:
CR500R-G3 wrote:Man, that looks great! What kind of hubs are those? They look sa-weet! :cool:
Thanks Robert :D

They are DNA wheels with JT Braking rotors. We will see how they hold up; heard mixed reviews, but nothing too bad.
They look awesome man. Looks like you're not lacking much to finish it now. Cool! :cool:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

CR500R-G3 wrote: They look awesome man. Looks like you're not lacking much to finish it now. Cool! :cool:
Everything accept for the plastic kit and number plate is here or on order. Should be 100% mechanicly by this weekend provided the machine work gets done in a timely manner.

Gonna work on the graphixs design tonight and get some pricing, hope to order them and the plastics at the same time.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Got the radiator and subframe back from the welder, dropped them off last night and he called me this morning. Put everything together, filled it up with water (just to flush) and fuel...... Gave it a kick and......

NOTHING :?

About 10 more and it came to life and ran for about a minute, died while I was jacking with the idle. Could not get more then a sputter from there, walked away and came back a little while later and it fired agian and ran for a little longer before dying once more. Sounds great while it was running had it a chian I would have took it down the road, or at least tried :roll:

My foot hurts and I am guessing carb issues as it has great compression and spark and is getting fuel in the bowl. Stock 39PJ part out internet special with a 170 and a 55, 2nd clip from the bottom and a turn and a half out on the idle mixture screw. I torn it down, cleaned and blew it out before I rejetted and reassembled. Thinking I should just get a new PWK and cut out the guess work :?

Did I mention my foot hurts :lol:

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Congrats man!
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
atank

Post by atank »

Trust me I know what you mean when you say my foot hurts :cry: :!:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Took a nice break and came back third time was the charm, fired right up stayed running thru the grease, paint , hand print burn off :roll: Cleaned out nice and crisp and now starts on one solid kick, even idles :shock: forgot what a bitch they were to kick!!!

My back expansion chamber frame mount bolt was the only one to fall out, I remembered I forgot to tighten it after I lined everything up this afternoon :oops:

Chain and sprokets should be here at the end of the week, gonna take it over to the buddies and give it a test ride. Then the only thing left is the plastics and a few little items like a rad overflow bottle, better levers and some BOOTS!!!

Here is a couple shots of my lower radiator cross over, was not going to pay big bucks for some special hose. Used a $1.00 piece of 5/8" heater hose, added a backwards bend and little heat... WooHoo custom hose :P

Left
Right

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

Very nice and congrats on a great build!!!! Can't wait to hear your ride report as I'm doing the same conversion. Just curious, why are you going to bother with a overflow bottle?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

KE 336 wrote: Just curious, why are you going to bother with a overflow bottle?
Just a little extra insurance in case it pushes a little coolant out. I am sure I will ride with it out, but it is one of those little things I see as needing to be done before I consider it truely complete.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

My bike was a real PITA to start the first time too. Not sure why.

Can't wait to see that thing with the new plastic and all.

Congratulations man!!!! :cool:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

New chain and sprokets are on, as are the Works Connection radiator braces. Took it to my buddies and went for a couple spins around the field, runs and rides great and nothing fell off or came loose :lol:

Still waiting on the complete front brake system and the plastics are ordered and will be here Tuesday.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
arvelok

Post by arvelok »

looks good :cool: