well shit new clutch

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
aloha450x

well shit new clutch

Post by aloha450x »

havent even ridden the damm thing. haha i pulled the clutch apart today. i thought i did it already but nope. the plates have grooves worn in them. not good at all. the question is are the oem clutches good enough for what i need them for? and where is the cheapest place to get them. im about to get married so im hurting for cash. lol damm it started already. not even married and broke. anybody got a clutch laying around. lol
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

maybe but, you need a slipper :wink:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

i had one in my 450 but from what i understand the 2strokes dont have enough engine braking to warrent one. however i remember seeing a pic of someone who did it to a cr500 supermoto. btw you better take some pepto to work with ya tomorrow.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

fix the clutch while you still have your own bank account :wink:
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Thanks! To late! I got it in the mail today and went home for dinner and ate like one pork chop and a roll and my wife said "Honey are you okay?" hahahaha... Now I'm back at work and I'm screwed I can't tell her! It's all good I remembered to get the website off the back of the package's this time. Thanks bruddah!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Chocalate Mikadamia nuts are soooooo good, why don't you just send me a box while your in the giving mood. I also want some big breadfruits, some boiled bananas, a big chunk of corned beef, some zippy's chile, and a nice sack of Muai wowii, or Hilo bud. I'll trade you a few cans of spam and a 2lb bag of Arizonas' finest. :D
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

pm me your addy port. I send a little island love your way. no bud though been to jail not a place I wanta be with bike almost done. haha on another note where can I get moderatly priced clutch
Ported&Polished

There is a guy on the cr500riders.com site right now with a barnett clutch new for 80. http://cr500riders.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1211759200
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

is that a good price?
Ported&Polished

try to find one cheaper, they are the best imo.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

ok well took it back out while smoking (a cig stoners) and the basket looks awesome the outer part looks awesome its just the pressure plactes have groves in them. they look like shit. i think i will just replace the plates with oem for now.
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

or can I use ebc or barnett plates to keep the oil clean
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

got a clutch pack for 30 bucks. steel plates and standard frictions. I wanta say its barnett.
britincali

Post by britincali »

The EBCs are junk stay far far away, Ive got 3 toasted ones hung in my garage.

Go with OEM or barnett carbon dirt digger.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I don't know what you do to them Brit, I've got an EBC in mine and have hammered it for 1 1/2 years and its still holding up well! I put some tighter springs on it though, which could be why.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
britincali

Post by britincali »

I ran all 3 with the heavy springs and cooked every single one. The barnett ones holding up good so far tho :)

I dont think the friction or the steels are an issue with them I think its the springs, when new they are shorter than the barnetts and eventually they sag causing sudden death.

Heres a comparison of length, EBC heavy springs in front barnett in the back....

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

So I just smoked a brand new OEM clutch (fibers and steels, they are steel not aluminum) but I think where I went wrong is using the stock (new) springs. Probably should have used heavy duty. I didn't make it one ride in the dunes and it was slipping bad. New Hinson basket as well. I will have to try something else I guess. I have always had good luck with stock Honda stuff. I have a stock porting, cut head with rechambered dome, V Force 2 reeds, PC pipe, 40.5 mm carb so it's by no means a radical setup.
britincali

Post by britincali »

LOVEMYCR500 wrote:So I just smoked a brand new OEM clutch (fibers and steels, they are steel not aluminum) .

They aint OEM then.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

britincali wrote: Heres a comparison of length, EBC heavy springs in front barnett in the back....
Also measure the wire thickness, aftermarkets are a few thou thicker.
:wink:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

LOVEMYCR500 wrote:So I just smoked a brand new OEM clutch (fibers and steels, they are steel not aluminum) but I think where I went wrong is using the stock (new) springs. Probably should have used heavy duty. I didn't make it one ride in the dunes and it was slipping bad
i use heavy duty springs but stockers work fine for stock bike. if you have a tendency to "ride" the clutch like alot of guys, the sand adds a ton more resistance than dirt- you can burn a new clutch in 30min if you not careful.
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

what causes all the grooves in the stock plates? they look like car rotors with no pads left. haha I can only assume the the cause is from dirty oil and debris getting I there
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

them grooves is sposed to be there brudda :wink: . unless your talking the metal plates, then you might have sand in the oil :shock:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

he is talking about the plates
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

yeah the plates. I could have been like that a while cause I haven't even started my motor yet. haha. I flushed the motor out several times.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

LOVEMYCR500 wrote:So I just smoked a brand new OEM clutch (fibers and steels, they are steel not aluminum) but I think where I went wrong is using the stock (new) springs. Probably should have used heavy duty. I didn't make it one ride in the dunes and it was slipping bad. New Hinson basket as well. I will have to try something else I guess. I have always had good luck with stock Honda stuff. I have a stock porting, cut head with rechambered dome, V Force 2 reeds, PC pipe, 40.5 mm carb so it's by no means a radical setup.
Did you also install a new pressure plate and the inner hub? These are often overlooked when people put in a new clutch.