forged vs cast

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

MICK wrote:
ellett wrote: The Z06, while capable of very high performance, was also designed to be a low maintenance, daily driver.

Sounds a lot like a CR500.
The C-130J Super Hercules was also designed as high performance medium lift cargo air frame with a reduced flight crew and maintenance cost...Also sounds shockingly similar to a CR500.

I don't see that applications other than single cylinder two strokes apply here :itsok:
im helo guy but th c130 s my favorite aircraft. safest flight record of all time I believe. watching fat albert take off with jato is a sight to see.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

4Z wrote:Great thread!!! you guys are killing me! LOL..... some folks pay for this quality of entertainment.

I have no CR500 piston experience to pass on other than stock. But I do with sleds. That is another application so I won't go there. (I use cast in all my sled motors ;) )

Danny, have you ever run a Clippard power jet? I have run them for years in sleds and they are a godsend. If you are not familiar with them, they operate like the Mikuni power jet but are a valve that is adjustable with fingers. Dennis Packard uses them on all the Lectrons I get from him. If you want to try one, I can hook you up as I have a few whipped up.
BTW I saw a prox piston go real cheap on ebay this week ;)
I've been thinking about trying one of those on my old PWK and compare it to the mikuni setup.
Ya, George from MPS bought it! :D $20 for a .25 over cast piston minus rings, he got a good deal and I got that cast junk off my shelf :wink: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MICK wrote: I was wrong. Bob was right.
This isnt about who's right or wrong.. its about getting to the answer.

Your a smart guy Mick, it easily could have been you that had the correct information.

:wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

M.F.D.B. wrote: A forged piston is lighter and stronger, lighter means more power period...
No,it dosent.

At the hillclimbs, you generally LOSE rpm as you go up the hill. Engine acceleration has ZERO impact on performance in this case, as in most others.

In a V-12 engine, 1.5oz. extra per piston = more than a pound added to the recipicating weight...

In a CR500, 1.5 oz = 1.5oz.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Cast is OEM in just about every two stroke application.. and they go through much more abuse in a 250 or 125.

Cast!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i know the new wiseco is a boat anchor but anybody checked the weight difference from the old wiseco and proX??
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

im about to order a wiseco and this boat anchor thing has me slightly nervous, i dont want a piece of crap in there as i plan to run n20 this summer ( ill need nitrous to keep up with the "standard" size individuals on their stock bikes at the hoontatstic pismo ride) did their short changing on the machining process effect any areas that would compromise reliability? or is it just a heavier piston and i dont need to worry about strength bieng an issue?
Jay

I break stuff
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

the boat anchor is a new design and only been around about 1 year from what i understand, i bought a boat anchor also but havent ran it yet. slomas is the only dude im aware of using the "new boat anchor" wiseco, and he said it was working good if i remeber right. but either way, cast piston+ NO2 is a bad combination :lol: . if theres a weak link in the "new" wiseco, its not from the forging process, but rather from wisecos engineering design
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I just bought a new Wiseco, which was ordered by the local Parts Unlimited dealer, and the sides are machined out like they used to be again.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

whats still unclear to me and just speculation at this point, is WHY wiseco ditched the old design :cry: . but at any rate, you can cleary see what they did: did away with the wrist pin cut outs, and in turn had to thin the skirt area to shed some of the added weight....which still weighs a ton more than the old wisecos. at one time i had a "new" wiseco and the "old wiseco side by side, and you can feel the weight difference just from holding them in your hand
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

fastkart wrote:I just bought a new Wiseco, which was ordered by the local Parts Unlimited dealer, and the sides are machined out like they used to be again.
cr500 had low production number compared to cr250 or cr125, there for theres probly alot of the old wisecos still in circulation in various parts houses around the country
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

The 2 I bought last summer were without the cutouts. The price also went up about $30 from last year too.
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

I have a brand new installed but never ran Wiseco sitting here. It was bought by Billy a few years ago for the cr500 A/F. It's a stock bore unit, but not sure if it is the cutout tye or not, how do I tell? Anyone want it if it is?
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

I have had 2 stock honda's crack at the wristpin area. i have had one cast come apart in a engine.

I have had a Wiseco come apart at the ring holder pin area but never crack
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

Ported&Polished wrote:I have a brand new installed but never ran Wiseco sitting here. It was bought by Billy a few years ago for the cr500 A/F. It's a stock bore unit, but not sure if it is the cutout tye or not, how do I tell? Anyone want it if it is?
does it look like this one? standard bore? im assuming the rings and wrist pin are there still in package? if so, i might be interested

Ported&Polished

It looks eggsactely like that. It says 0246F and 636M08900 on top and has a new in the bag Wiseco bearing, a new wrist pin, and a couple clips. I was in my motor when I bought the bike, but it was never run. It comes in a box that says Vertex, which is the piston I used instead. :o
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

AlisoBob wrote: 1.5 oz = 1.5oz. of MORE Hp
Fixed it for ya... :wink:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

M.F.D.B. wrote:
AlisoBob wrote: 1.5 oz = 1.5oz. of MORE Hp
Fixed it for ya... :wink:
Your nutz ....
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Ported&Polished wrote:I have a brand new installed but never ran Wiseco sitting here. It was bought by Billy a few years ago for the cr500 A/F. It's a stock bore unit, but not sure if it is the cutout tye or not, how do I tell? Anyone want it if it is?
what do you want for it
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
ellett

Post by ellett »

MICK wrote: The C-130J Super Hercules was also designed as high performance medium lift cargo air frame with a reduced flight crew and maintenance cost...
Yeah, maybe, but the real question is, does Rolls-Royce use cast or forged turbine blades in those things?
Ported&Polished

lewisclan wrote:
what do you want for it
You can have it for say, 65 bucks shipped?
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
bigjay

Post by bigjay »

ellett wrote: Yeah, maybe, but the real question is, does Rolls-Royce use cast or forged turbine blades in those things?

:twisted: :stir:
Jay

I break stuff
MICK

Post by MICK »

ellett wrote: Yeah, maybe, but the real question is, does Rolls-Royce use cast or forged turbine blades in those things?
Well actually Goodrich supplies the forged turbine blades for the four AE2100 Rolls-Royce engines used by the J model.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Ported&Polished wrote:
lewisclan wrote:
what do you want for it
You can have it for say, 65 bucks shipped?
what P # is it.
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Slow old Fart wrote:what P # is it.
Ported&Polished wrote:It looks eggsactely like that. It says 0246F and 636M08900 on top and has a new in the bag Wiseco bearing, a new wrist pin, and a couple clips. I was in my motor when I bought the bike, but it was never run. It comes in a box that says Vertex, which is the piston I used instead. :o