Radiator converting

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
AUSSIECR500AF

Post by AUSSIECR500AF »

Its amazing how a little logic and commonsense goes along way into realising that no other bike can compare to a 500cc 2S. Why on earth anyone would want to ride a 4 is beyond my logical understanding and reasoning.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

AUSSIECR500AF wrote:Its amazing how a little logic and commonsense goes along way into realising that no other bike can compare to a 500cc 2S. Why on earth anyone would want to ride a 4 is beyond my logical understanding and reasoning.
Marketing perhaps - some people are like sheep? The lure of not having to mix oil/gas was too great? The assumed reliability? -- These are all things told to me when I asked others...none of which are good enough reasons for me to abandon any of my 2-strokes!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

The mixing gas thing is cool, but I like smell. The 450 is a fun machine, but the cr500 spins the fun meter as well or better for alot less dough initialy and long term. You certainly get more attention these days on a cr500 than ever because folks trip out on how they are fast and sound different. If a 450 was super reliable and low cost of ownership, I would love to have one, but not instead of a cr500.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

AlisoBob wrote:Visually, and logically....
I thought it was "Crunchy, Salty and Chocolaty" :rotfl:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I love the 500s but also like the 650s
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Here is what I came up for my rad setup for my 03 CRF450 conversion, left rad is stock 450 and the right is a 02 CR250. Both rads are identical in size and mounting locations; the right already has the outlets in place and for me the left only needs the outlet rotated 90 degrees up. I did however have to relocate both the right mounts down about an inch for the rads to sit even and shrouds mounts to line up. Had I not already had the new 450 rad I would have went with both 250's and needed no mods to the rads themselves.
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
2weelz

Post by 2weelz »

That's great! Thanks for the pics. I'll be tackling a street legal '04 450 frame soon and was looking for something like this. Thanks for posting. -Clay
2weelz

Post by 2weelz »

Any chance you could send me some pics of your converted frame...the Y section and bottom mounts? I can do it several different ways and I can't make up my mind on how to build it. It would be much appreciated. twoweelz@yahoo.com
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1170

I took a little bit of my case mounting bosses and just put plates inside the rails. The frame is at the welders getting finished, word is he will be done Sat :roll: Oh well he is a busy man and one should not be complaing about free labor :D

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Bob, you don't have a cross over tube on the bottom?

If not, wouldn't the left rad be more like a holding tank? Well some cooling would occur, but no top to bottom circulation.

From the J Bone ride, I guess it works. *Shurgs*
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

I think Bob has a crossover on the top and bottom just like the original CR500, it allows for the most water flow between rads; where mine just has the small hose on top for equalization (is that a word :lol: ) between the tanks. The 05 and up CRF's already have the top cross over just need to add the bottom to the right rad.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF