Piston and Cyl pics...

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Clyde I thought you had all the software to calculate this and more?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:Clyde I thought you had all the software to calculate this and more?
Clydes "Calculator"....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FfeijZ ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

britincali wrote:I just bolt my shit together and kick it.....
This is how Brit counts to ten.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QLp9Wx ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

2strokeforever wrote:
Reason for tear down is a shifting issue
if it was put together and it didnt shift i would wonder if whoever put it together knew what they were doing
maybe he assembled it dry, without oil and the first time it ran it scored a little?
maybe crooked bore and/or tight piston
Steely bought on CL, motor removed for conversion, top end done at that time. Shifting issue presumably preexisting, maybe even reason for bike being on CL.

Top end done at time of conversion. Good thought on pre lube. I will have to ask if he prelubed well, he is sharp I doubt he forgot.

Scoring is only in that one spot, near the postioning pin, but maybe that has nothing to do with it. Maybe a metal filing left in reed area?

Would you guys reuse this piston? What would the effects be?
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

AlisoBob wrote:Throttle was hammered on without the engine being brought up to temp.
He said he was brought up to temp well
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

maddog1927 wrote: Would you guys reuse this piston?
Yea, LIGHTLY dress up the area.. run it.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I think we've just got a misunderstanding / failure to clarify, between Bob and Clive.

I watched my dad in the sixties, put heads on glass, and pipette fill them, to get the combustion chamber volume.

Just as my brother and I did to his Keith Black drag engine over the weekend, to each and every combustion chamber, a Whole bunch of times, till we had them Exactly as they should be. The same sort of thing was done to each and every piston, with a oiled o'ring in the top ring landing, and the piston in a lexan tube, I made up. And the rods have all been checked for the same length, as were the piston pin / deck heights. Checked and adjusted weight, on all, as well. Bloody tedious.

I hate working on cars , even fun things like both my brothers ones. We've got to the point that I 'll never need to buy any alcohol, when they are around, for the rest of my life - both my brothers owe me, the bastards. I think I'll have to start up a 'chocolate owed', tally, now. :wink:

As the Hippies would say, "Why can't we all love each other?" :oops:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

cant figure out jack sqaut without head volume. to do it bobs way with pencil and paper would be painfull on the brain. best way and only logical way is with liquid just like i did. bob still dont get it :roll: . figured roostious would understand all this but im not so sure :D
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Yea, at Millar Racing Engines, they slather everything in wheelbearing grease, and fill it full of 10w/30 pennzoil... yea... thats exactly what they do.

:roll: x 491
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

would imagine they use some type of grease probly wheel bearing kind but maybe some other kind but it dont matter because its still grease, some plexi glass and a liquid. possibly oil or something else with dye or food coloring. that seems to be a common routine for v8 engines according to the intanet but im not a v8 guru so i dont know or care. for simple 1 cylinder its less "math" and work involved to pour it down the plug hole at tdc :lol: . dont need to know gasket thickness, deck height, piston dome volume, port hight or anything else. can get the comp ratio easy with basic math of the cylinder volume divided by qauntity of oil poured in. for argument sake we know presumably a stock engine is 491cc and hypothetical if you used 35cc oil you got 14:1. and BTW i dont care about the ratio above the exh port.