Oversize Radiator

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
DieHard2Smoke

Oversize Radiator

Post by DieHard2Smoke »

My '85 500 is boiling coolant quite often on this trip to the dunes. Ive rigged a temporary overflow bottle setup that is working pretty good right now but would rather have a permanent solution, and not have to stop and wait for motor and coolant to cool down every so often. I did use a coolant flush and got some corroded stuff came out, but still boiled coolant. I think these radiators are junk, and yes im running a cold plug, and my jetting is on.

Have any of you ran a oversized radiators and have any suggestions on brands?

Also do any year 125 or 250 fit the 500?

Id rather get a new set of radiators to eliminate any possibility of corrosion, but if i can get a set cheap, ill run them.
thinking of jumping over to the AF side of things
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

water + water wetter and 1.6 cap
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
DieHard2Smoke

Post by DieHard2Smoke »

ive looked at converting to waterless coolant... but these radiators are 26 years old and i think its time for these to go. you should of seen the amount of crap that came out, 2 of the internal fins were almost clogged with corroded stuff.

tho i will be converting my n2o skidoo to evans waterless npg r
britincali

Post by britincali »

Rads are blocked.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

britincali wrote:Rads are blocked.

X491
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
DieHard2Smoke

Post by DieHard2Smoke »

Rads are blocked.
agreed, trying to get some heavy duty aluminum cleaner in st anthony or rexburg area. so far no one carries any. looks like ill be riding the yz250 today.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

CLR works good
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
DieHard2Smoke

Post by DieHard2Smoke »

well got rads clean, started pouring some water wetter equivalent in... and coolant started dripping, thought it was a loose hose clamp at first but they were all tight. come to find a crack in my right hand side case cover right above the water pump between to hose outlets..

so if anyone has a spare cover laying around, ill gladly buy it from you. couldnt find any on fleabay. atleast now i have the excuse to fully tear down this bike and give it a full restore, pics later tonight, going to ride the yz 250 for awhile.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

220* is common in sand on a hot day. can be even higher if you aint moving. i dont use any snake oil, just regular stuff. not sure evens will make the temp any lower but rather not let it boil out, never tried it so i could be wrong. a fan will be my solution and the only correct answer imo
DieHard2Smoke

Post by DieHard2Smoke »

well the drtbiking gods wanted me to stay in the hotel today. got a couple of hours of riding in, and once i got to the other side of the sand dunes the clutch cable broke on my yz250...

not a huge set back but i had to jam it in gear and ride back to the truck, hopefully the local dealer here has a cable, because im all out of back up bikes.