Back home again

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
towman910

Back home again

Post by towman910 »

I doubt anybody noticed, but I've been off the board for awhile. I've been in the hospital since 7/17 with a completely busted pelvis from falling off the damn bike. I was going over some small whoops, gave a little too much throttle and got the bike vertical and waited too long to bail out, and I ended up landing directly on my left buttcheek on the upslope of a whoop, completely destroying my pelvis and causing massive internal bleeding which almost killed me.

It's a long story, involving a medevac helicopter ride to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, twenty units of blood, coding twice during my trauma surgery, medically induced coma, an infection of the pelvic cavity, which infected the hardware in my first fixation, requiring that all the screws be removed and my pelvic cavity to be physically washed and debrided with three different operations over a week's time, along with my being filled to the gills with IV Antibiotics, then a new set of hardware was installed that ties my pelvis into my L4 vertebrae with about eight screws and a couple rods, bone grafts, and a tensioner. I saw the X-ray, I look like goddamn Frankenstein's monster down there.

I got discharged home a week or so ago, I'm getting around okay with crutches, although I'm still in a buttload of pain. (hooray for Hydromorphone!) I'm probably going to have to sell the bike, along with my other toys, (jetskis, boat, quad), to pay some bills since I haven't and won't be able to work for about another 2-3 months. If anyone's interested in a '90 steelie in great condition, (new Vertex this spring, susp sprung for a 275lb rider, starts first kick hot or cold) let me know. For that matter, if anyone's interested in a '97 Seadoo XP and a '98 Seadoo XP Limited on a double trailer, or a 22' Crestliner cuddy cabin boat, get at me. :)

It's good to be back home, even though my legs are atrophied to about half their normal size from five weeks in a hospital bed and I need constant care from my wife, mother, or mother-in-law to get by. :x Luckily, on this board, I'll still be allowed to hang with you misfits if I sell my bike. :lol:

Here's a pic of my original fixation, the one that was removed due to infection:
And a pic of one of my surgeons just after he drilled a bolt through my left tibia so they could hang 40lbs of traction for a week to pull my pelvis back into place. They did this in my bed while I was awake! Bad-ass.

I'll try to get a pic of the final fixation at my next followup appointment next Tuesday. It's nuts. It's great to be home and it's great to be posting on the board. Unfortunately, I still have about half of the red blood cells I'm supposed to have and sitting up this long in a chair has made me really tired, so I'm going to have to go get back in bed now. Thanks for all the comeraderie, and I'm sure I'm going to hear it if I sell the bike, but the damn thing almost killed me, I don't mind selling it. :oops:
Last edited by towman910 on September 2nd, 2010, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey Sugar-Tits, I'm going out riding for a few hours...

...but you will blow me first."
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

DAMN..............DUUUUUUDE...............Glad to see that you survived.

Hope you heal well

Oh and you should change your screen name from towman to lotsofsteelinmyassman.................. :lol:
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dear titanium-ass-man:

nasty wreck, had a buddy that did a similar landing but his was on the boards of an indoor arena, broke the leg the pelvis and the socket off the pelvis. he healed up and was back on a 500 in about a year. dont push it tho or you'll walk gimp. same guys bro had a quad land on him and took out the same left leg and pelvis, that kid did the therapy and everything and you wouldnt know anything had happened 3 yrs ago now.

hope you heal well!
britincali

Post by britincali »

sabreguy wrote:DAMN..............DUUUUUUDE...............Glad to see that you survived.

Hope you heal well

:

x2!
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

I think I can relate.
I had a major accident back in 1990 and sold all my stuff and I understand the financial thing too.
I kept my boat though, hard to live on the water without one!
I got back into bikes with a vengeance this past december, sorta like I was deprived.
The thing is, I'm quite aware of what can happen.
Massive doubles, whoops and TREES give me cold sweats now.
I'm old enough to resist the temptation to see how long and how fast I can ride wheelies or if I can make that double.
Hopefully you'll get through this and be back in the saddle.
One more thing.
If you're like me, you'll never sit in the house when there's daylight.
Months of being restricted to a bed or in the house will do that to you.
Good luck to you.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

...damn... :shock:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Holy shit man! thats one nasty wreck that probably didnt look too horrible from the sidelines. Hope you heal up good, and i hope you dont hang up the reins for the bikes forever. i know i wouldnt.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

"titanium-ass-man" - :lmao:

Get well dude!!!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

holy shit man, that sounds horrible. I think it's time to invest in a proper bong and get off the meds... :cool:
plynn41

Post by plynn41 »

Best wishes for recovery. Modern medicine is amazing! I've survived a broken neck, pelvis, humerous, crushed radial head, 4 ribs, left ankle (twice), and other junk that is tedious to tell about. I move a lot slower than I used to and I hurt all the time--but thank God I can still move and ride. You might feel different about the bike a year from now.
'88 PW50 - Connor
'03 YZ85 - Zach
'88 CR500R
'05 CRF250R (to get a heart transplant soon)
'10 Hot Rod Go Kart
towman910

Post by towman910 »

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. I actually thought when I was sitting in the hospital staring at ceiling tiles for five weeks that I never wanted to ride again, and I KNOW that's what my wife wants, but as I've been recovering I feel like I'm definitely going to miss it more than I thought. I think in a few years I might be looking for a dual-sport or something to run around town and ride trails with. I feel like I'll leave the motocross to the people who are better at it than I am. Knowing me, however, I'll end up missing the power and lightness of a moto bike and be right back here again. :)

AlisoBob wrote:Image

"Don't mess with the Jesus" and "Stay thirsty my friends" :?: :?:

I don't get it... :miss:
"Hey Sugar-Tits, I'm going out riding for a few hours...

...but you will blow me first."