Craigslist questions

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
HrcRacing

Craigslist questions

Post by HrcRacing »

I'm looking to sell my '03 CRF450 to buy a Gen 3 CR250 and was wondering if anyone has had any luck selling on Craigslist?

Also, is it free or, if it's not, what do they charge?

I started to place an add but got to the agreement thing and it had all of this pay this and that if you do something wrong stuff which scared me off. I figured I better ask some questions first.

Thanks.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I sold a set of mustang wheels on craigs list and didn't pay squat. Its a good place to sell and buy loaclly and get good deals, but you won't get the most you can for your bike off there. You usually get more for stuff off ebay just because it gets more exposure and the auction format. when you are in an asking price situation, either people will ignore it because its too high, or keep trying to haggle an already low price.
Why not just convert the 450? I know the 250s are supposed to handle a little better and a little easier conversion, but you already have the 450.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

dannygraves wrote:I sold a set of mustang wheels on craigs list and didn't pay squat. Its a good place to sell and buy loaclly and get good deals, but you won't get the most you can for your bike off there. You usually get more for stuff off ebay just because it gets more exposure and the auction format. when you are in an asking price situation, either people will ignore it because its too high, or keep trying to haggle an already low price.
Why not just convert the 450? I know the 250s are supposed to handle a little better and a little easier conversion, but you already have the 450.
On a '03 bike, do you think I should sell it outright on eBay or would I be better off parting it out?

As far as the 450 conversion goes, I prefer the 250 because of the handling, I'm assuming it would be a bit thinner, not as many conversion problems such as raising the Y, tank clearance, airboot fit, etc. Doesn't hurt that you can use the bottom mounts.

I also like that the plastic stayed almost the same from '02 to '07 so you have more options for graphics, etc. I just really think the 250 will be a cleaner conversion and, for me, this is most likely a one-time deal so I want the best end result possible.

Thanks for the help Danny. :cool:
tadiv

Post by tadiv »

What are you looking to get out of the CRF?
Go that way real fast, and if something gets in your way...............

Turn.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

tadiv wrote:What are you looking to get out of the CRF?
Well, I'd like to get as close to $3k as I can or trade it for a really clean '02 or newer CR250.

Here's a couple pics.

tadiv

Post by tadiv »

Don’t suppose you had any trips up north planned did ya :lol:
Go that way real fast, and if something gets in your way...............

Turn.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Actually, I do. A bud of mine and me are heading up to New York to visit his uncle, see the sites, etc, then we're heading over to Cincinnati (my home town).

Whatcha' thinkin?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Have you thought about buying just a gen-3 cr250 frame for like $200, and moving your suspension over, then only buying plastics and whatever doesn't fit (not sure about the subframe), then selling off your crf frame and motor. seems to me like you'd end up with a sweet bike at a minimal cost, probably make a ton back on the 450 motor, more than you would for a 250 motor.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I don't know, I just always hate getting used bikes because no matter what the previous owner was an idiot! Atleast you know the condition of your suspension, bearings, etc. etc.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
britincali

Post by britincali »

dannygraves wrote:I don't know, I just always hate getting used bikes because no matter what the previous owner was an idiot! Atleast you know the condition of your suspension, bearings, etc. etc.

Or do like I did and buy one from a respected moderator of a large board dedicated to the machine, especially one that is a self proclamed suspension guru. Then you guaranteed a winner :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rjerks

Dosent he still owe Dustin $50?
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

dannygraves wrote:Have you thought about buying just a gen-3 cr250 frame for like $200, and moving your suspension over, then only buying plastics and whatever doesn't fit (not sure about the subframe), then selling off your crf frame and motor. seems to me like you'd end up with a sweet bike at a minimal cost, probably make a ton back on the 450 motor, more than you would for a 250 motor.
I've looked for a frame for a while now and haven't had any luck. They seem to go for pretty good money on eBay. Also, I didn't know if the suspension would fit (would it?). I was thinking more like buying it, modding it then looking for a roller.

You guys are right though, it's always risky buying used if you can't see it in person ahead of time. My idea of "excellent condition" and some guy's I've dealt with have been way, way different.

I have had some good luck though.
britincali

Post by britincali »

The only used bike Ive bought that everything on it was fine and needed no work was the 2000 roller I got from iggy.

Nice one iggro :cool: :cool: :cool:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Iggy is a straight up dude....
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

I made the mistake of buying a used '84 CR500 from a local pro after he had raced it for the year. Wow, that was a POS! I learned a lot about what to look for after that deal.

The best we ever did was with my brother's '96 KX500. Absolutely like new. Deal of a lifetime.

Good deals are out there, they're just very few and far between.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

2004 CRF250X 40 hours on it, with rod hanging out... $1100
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

AlisoBob wrote:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=rjerks

Dosent he still owe Dustin $50?
Na, $20, I bought some front mounts off him before I had the kits made and he told me to give Justin the $30...But still hasn't taken care of the $20 remaining
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

britincali wrote:The only used bike Ive bought that everything on it was fine and needed no work was the 2000 roller I got from iggy.

AlisoBob wrote:Iggy is a straight up dude....
Thanks guys.

Ah G3; Pretty sure the trip clamps from the 450 with fit the 250. The spacers for the swing arm is a dif story or weither the arm with fit a 250.

Another thing. I found out that the 250AF's have/had the worst turning/cornering of the Jap bikes. I kept dumping mine in corners to the point of pissing me off. The biggest thing was adding the 20mm offset clamps (Ride Engineering had the best deal/price) to cure this prob. which It did. Tire pressure has to be constantly checked before each ride and on race day, checked again before the second moto as the air temp in the afternoon will add 2-3 lbs. Also added a 100 tire instead of the usual 90.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

AlisoBob wrote:
2004 CRF250X 40 hours on it, with rod hanging out... $1100
That's a perfect example. That's a great find. :cool:
iggys-amsoil wrote:Ah G3; Pretty sure the trip clamps from the 450 with fit the 250. The spacers for the swing arm is a dif story or weither the arm with fit a 250.

Another thing. I found out that the 250AF's have/had the worst turning/cornering of the Jap bikes. I kept dumping mine in corners to the point of pissing me off. The biggest thing was adding the 20mm offset clamps (Ride Engineering had the best deal/price) to cure this prob. which It did. Tire pressure has to be constantly checked before each ride and on race day, checked again before the second moto as the air temp in the afternoon will add 2-3 lbs. Also added a 100 tire instead of the usual 90.
I don't know how the 450 does as an AF but it would benefit from some 20-22mm offset clamps as a thumper. :ride: Raising the forks in the clamps helped some.

Thanks for the advice Iggy. :cool:
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

dannygraves wrote:I don't know, I just always hate getting used bikes because no matter what the previous owner was an idiot! Atleast you know the condition of your suspension, bearings, etc. etc.
I really agree with that Danny! I tore down that CR250 I bought yesterday and what a POS. The dude that owned it does not know the difference between a hammer and a wrench.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Mik329 wrote: The dude that owned it does not know the difference between a hammer and a wrench.

:rotfl:
britincali

Post by britincali »

AlisoBob wrote:
Mik329 wrote: The dude that owned it does not know the difference between a hammer and a wrench.

:rotfl:

In reality all you need is a hammer and chisel to remove any nut :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

britincali wrote:LOL that motor looks horrific in the pics :oops: :oops: :oops:

You can even see where I helicoiled the bottom exhaust bolt hole off center....

:oops:

:roll:

Brit schooled me today on the proper Queens pronouncation of "Jaguar...."

:roll: :roll: :roll:
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Yag-u-wa. :lol:
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

iggys-amsoil wrote:
britincali wrote:The only used bike Ive bought that everything on it was fine and needed no work was the 2000 roller I got from iggy.

AlisoBob wrote:Iggy is a straight up dude....
Thanks guys.

Not sure where you heard that, but thats total BS. There's only one bike that out handles the '02-'07 CR250 in turns. Thats the RM 250. The Gen. 3 chassis is an excellent handler, when set-up properly. Was your spring rates correct? Sag? Forks in the triple clamps right? Sag and fork height, can have the biggest effect on handling, yet not many set it properly.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net