Case Guard

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
bearorso

Case Guard

Post by bearorso »

Here's a picture of a 1st , rough effort @ a case saver for my CRE.

It takes the std sprocket cover, it keys onto the 2 case stubs & then mounts to the chain roller bolt.

The other picture has it fitted - If you're observant, you could count up to 15 different things I've made to fit my CRE in this view alone.

The CF clutch cover guard is a KTM one I found on the trail - got to love expensive things that seem to be fitted on a bike by what appeared to only be silastic :roll: .

Just required a little dremel work , and I used both industrial Velcro plus 3 stainless brackets, under case bolts, riveted to the guard itself. This CF guard is the closest I think I'll ever come to any sort of "bling", & it cost me nothing :cool: .

Crappy mobile 'phone pics.......
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:cool: You are one of those people, who can't help but make or modify things aren't you. :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Yup,

Mad modifier. Keeps me sane. :roll:

That Devol pipe guard is actually from a WR200, just required a 2" section added after the header & a bit of tweaking to fit. It is , however, the strangest stuff to weld. Left over , "free" stock from a shop . It works well as it sits 1/2" off pipe. Makes you realize how low the state of tune is with a 500 is when a 200 had a bigger belly to the pipe. I just keep panel beating it out & re-skinning the header section that gets worn away by the ruts & rocks here.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

bearorso wrote:Yup,

Mad modifier. Keeps me sane. :roll:

That Devol pipe guard is actually from a WR200, just required a 2" section added after the header & a bit of tweaking to fit. It is , however, the strangest stuff to weld. Left over , "free" stock from a shop . It works well as it sits 1/2" off pipe. Makes you realize how low the state of tune is with a 500 is when a 200 had a bigger belly to the pipe. I just keep panel beating it out & re-skinning the header section that gets worn away by the ruts & rocks here.
you aussie?
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Yes, Australian,

By the way Stuz , I had a loosing battle with a tree today on my special test course & tweaked my subframe - I've a healthy steel spare, but , as I've got 19.05mm 6061 that I use on my DH frame swingarm stays, I will probably be making an alloy subframe over the Xmas break. It will be cross braced near the front mount, gusseted @ the cross brace that the fender attaches to ( near the back of the airbox ) & the tube joints, plus have mounts for a KDX200 coolant tank on the LH side. For my own use I will be adding an under rear guard cross plate, that will allow me to retain the seat with a single, through the seat Dzus fastener, so the seat can be removed in seconds. It will go well with the alloy drop tank (on the LH side, going down to within 1/2" of the ignition cover) that is held on by a single bolt that I've been developing for a while.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:shock: You are addicted to making shit. :cool:

You will have to post pics of that one for sure. :wink:
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

had a hunch you were aussie cos we seem obsessed about creativity and diy projects.
what state are you from?
yeah i wanna see pics of that too
tell me, are you going alloy for the bling, or for weight reduction?
most of the mods i do to mine are for weight reduction. i was looking into the "ac alloy subframe"but i had too many warnings about how flimsy it was.shame that.
19mm sounds plenty heavy duty. you gonna use tubular or square alloy?
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

I think he said from New South Wales.
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

Just using the 19.05 mm (3/4") as that is the std size of the steel sub frame, so clearance will be no issue. Plus , I have that size in 6061T6 , 2.55mm wall round tube that I use in the DH frames I make. I have bugger all 3/4 Cr Mo , so I'll use what I have,

I doubt there would be a weight difference. Here's the thing ( that I guess some AF devotees - I have an 97 & an 07 CR250 AF, covering the 2t era by the way, so I'm not anti AF - will get their knickers in a twist over ) , as far as I'm concerned, the only reason an AF can/may end up lighter than a similar spec. steel frame bike is the ancillaries, as that is where the main weight savings have been made , with the constant quest to make 4ts light. A good example is the weight difference between a 500 KS lever & that of a CRF450. A steel frame is far from a boat anchor. And the geometry is far from being antiquated. In my preferred riding , my steel bike is much better than my AFs. But of course, a Late model AF has the great advantage of parts & accessories availability , and , potentially, not having been hammered to death. And in the US, they can get rollers for absolutely bugger all - a bit different to us over here!

You put a big tank on a steel bike, and run only a few litres for a local ride, as I do, and the fuel is carried much lower than that of an AF, which carries the fuel above the level of the steel bike, with an IMS filled to the same amount as the AFs tank. And I'm sure that a AF tank that matched the 13.5 litre capacity of the IMS would carry all the fuel load higher. I'm always a bit non plussed by the claims about AFs advantages. Especially when it comes to earlier AFs..........

The alloy drop tank, allows me to carry, so far, as much as 8 litres of fuel below the cylinder/ head junction. It makes the bike feel like a 200 - a fellow I know who bought a 09 'Berg was almost inconsolable after riding my steel bike with the first of my drop tanks - even more so when he rode it with the IMS with 9 litres compared to his 7.5litres. So his "game changer", was still more ponderous than a bike developed in the early 90's. Reality inevitably defeats hype.

I've been using YZF shrouds on prototypes, but will make them to take CR250 07 shrouds. I can get about 12 litres with a flat top of the tank, with the seat flat and the same top & shroud width as an 07 CR250. I may make them with a slight bulge at the top for more capacity, but mainly so it can take quick fill spouts / inserts.

I'll only post pictures when it's all finalized - I doubt that will be till Feb. next year, as I have so much on with some frame building that I'm committed to, kid herding to do & knee/ shoulder operations pending.
tgarden

Post by tgarden »

Goddamn - wish I was down your way Bear so I could bring some beer over, oggle at your fab work and learn off you!

Sounds fantastic and the welding looks spot on so far! Keep it up, and don't be afraid to keep us up to date ;)
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

bearorso wrote:Just using the 19.05 mm (3/4") as that is the std size of the steel sub frame, so clearance will be no issue. Plus , I have that size in 6061T6 , 2.55mm wall round tube that I use in the DH frames I make. I have bugger all 3/4 Cr Mo , so I'll use what I have,

I doubt there would be a weight difference. Here's the thing ( that I guess some AF devotees - I have an 97 & an 07 CR250 AF, covering the 2t era by the way, so I'm not anti AF - will get their knickers in a twist over ) , as far as I'm concerned, the only reason an AF can/may end up lighter than a similar spec. steel frame bike is the ancillaries, as that is where the main weight savings have been made , with the constant quest to make 4ts light. A good example is the weight difference between a 500 KS lever & that of a CRF450. A steel frame is far from a boat anchor. And the geometry is far from being antiquated. In my preferred riding , my steel bike is much better than my AFs. But of course, a Late model AF has the great advantage of parts & accessories availability , and , potentially, not having been hammered to death. And in the US, they can get rollers for absolutely bugger all - a bit different to us over here!

You put a big tank on a steel bike, and run only a few litres for a local ride, as I do, and the fuel is carried much lower than that of an AF, which carries the fuel above the level of the steel bike, with an IMS filled to the same amount as the AFs tank. And I'm sure that a AF tank that matched the 13.5 litre capacity of the IMS would carry all the fuel load higher. I'm always a bit non plussed by the claims about AFs advantages. Especially when it comes to earlier AFs..........

The alloy drop tank, allows me to carry, so far, as much as 8 litres of fuel below the cylinder/ head junction. It makes the bike feel like a 200 - a fellow I know who bought a 09 'Berg was almost inconsolable after riding my steel bike with the first of my drop tanks - even more so when he rode it with the IMS with 9 litres compared to his 7.5litres. So his "game changer", was still more ponderous than a bike developed in the early 90's. Reality inevitably defeats hype.

I've been using YZF shrouds on prototypes, but will make them to take CR250 07 shrouds. I can get about 12 litres with a flat top of the tank, with the seat flat and the same top & shroud width as an 07 CR250. I may make them with a slight bulge at the top for more capacity, but mainly so it can take quick fill spouts / inserts.

I'll only post pictures when it's all finalized - I doubt that will be till Feb. next year, as I have so much on with some frame building that I'm committed to, kid herding to do & knee/ shoulder operations pending.
thats my trick too. i never have more than 4 litres in my tank. with a pj carb i get 3 soild hours of track riding out of it with a few breaks.
my mates all fill there 450s to the brim and still cant work out how my bike is so light.if i run out, i poor another litre in cos the car aint far away.but thats never happened yet. i also ditch the heavy duty tubes and chuck in the lightest ones i can find. some heavy duty tubes weigh in at 1.7kg as opposed to 500g to a light duty one. i really noticed the difference.
your not in s.a. are you? if so, we should catch up. im mad keen on seeing your work.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

just meassured the sub frame. my bad, 19mm is standard thickness

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

tgarden wrote:Goddamn - wish I was down your way Bear so I could bring some beer over, oggle at your fab work and learn off you!

Sounds fantastic and the welding looks spot on so far! Keep it up, and don't be afraid to keep us up to date ;)

I think we should have a monthly get together at bearorso place to check out what the hell he is working on next and drink some beer as well. :lol:
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD