ANOTHER DAMN GEAR OIL QUESTION! "WITH A DIFFERENCE"

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
thestuz

ANOTHER DAMN GEAR OIL QUESTION! "WITH A DIFFERENCE"

Post by thestuz »

yeah,yeah i know. i should go read through the search forums but i wanted some up to date ideas anyhow. i pulled the clutch out today to file down the notches in the basket. i noticed that the drive gear had signs of pitting(wear) on it. this is a bad sign. but this is usually the first gear to wear so i hope my gbox hasnt done the same thing since ive only been using 10-40 cheap motor oil and changing after 4-5 hrs. im starting to think i should use a thicker gear oil, maybe 80-90 gear oil to look after the box/gears. would a oil this thick cause problems? or would it be a good idea for an older worn transmission? every time i change my oil, it comes out with a lot of micro alloy particles through it. it looks like graphite oil. grey and sparkley. ive used a magnet on the plug and only getting a little bit of metal dust but shit loads of the alloy stuff. will a thicker oil stop more wear?
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: ANOTHER DAMN GEAR OIL QUESTION! "WITH A DIFFERENCE&

Post by AlisoBob »

thestuz wrote: will a thicker oil stop more wear?
No, but swapping out the alloy drive plates for steel ones will keep allot of trash out of the oil, and the trash is whats causing most of the wear... especially on the drive gear oil seal collar.
yota

Post by yota »

I got a 5 gallon pail of Rotella T40, works good on all my bikes. ends up being like $2.80 qt. I like the clutch action better than the 10-40 I was running before, not as grabby.
09 TTM CR500AF
08 KTM 200 XC
08 Ducati Hypermotard
03 CR125
95 CR250
83 Husqvarna 125 XC
73 Maico MX250
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

type F tranny fluid
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
thestuz

Re: ANOTHER DAMN GEAR OIL QUESTION! "WITH A DIFFERENCE&

Post by thestuz »

AlisoBob wrote:
thestuz wrote: will a thicker oil stop more wear?
No, but swapping out the alloy drive plates for steel ones will keep allot of trash out of the oil, and the trash is whats causing most of the wear... especially on the drive gear oil seal collar.
its got steel plates in it but the oil still gets that metalic look after 2 rides. after 4 rides it is shocking.you can barely see through it. i think its coming from the deep notches in the clutch basket. ive just filed it down and drilled the holes in the fingers for more oil flow.... we dont have that rotella oil here in aus but i have been using cheap motor oil of 15-40 grade. maybe ill try the tranny oil. they are specifically designed for gears... has anyone here used those stainless steel clutch inserts people are talking about?? do you know who still does them?? thanks
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If you have the steel plates, and the oil still looks like Turkey Gravy..... You might have a bearing spinning in its bore.

The oil should look pretty clean if you change it often..

Stop dicking with the clutch basket.... if its junk .... its junk.

Replace it.
britincali

Post by britincali »

lewisclan wrote:type F tranny fluid

The only way to roll! Its dirt cheap, makes the tranny shift like butter and definatly helps with clutch slip.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i put some rotella in the ktm and it worked pretty good, almost shifts as nice as a honda :lol: . i got some type F im going to try this weekend to see if it works even better.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I run rotella, but DeWayne had me running the type F for a long time.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Might pay to go inside the gearbox for a gander, you never know what you might find.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong but if there is and you don't know it, there will be more damage than you need.
( more expense )
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:I run rotella, but DeWayne had me running the type F for a long time.
I like Rotella, or Delo
4Z

Post by 4Z »

Question, by cleaning up the basket, does that change anything? As far as how much slop there is between towers I mean. Don't these baskets have the elastomer (sp?) between the basket and gear that breaks down and allows the basket to bang against the plates?
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

4Z wrote:Question, by cleaning up the basket, does that change anything? As far as how much slop there is between towers I mean. Don't these baskets have the elastomer (sp?) between the basket and gear that breaks down and allows the basket to bang against the plates?
i was getting alot of clutch drag so i wanted to file down the ridges on the basket fingers. hopefully it will help.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

CR500R7 wrote:Might pay to go inside the gearbox for a gander, you never know what you might find.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong but if there is and you don't know it, there will be more damage than you need.
( more expense )
no i did a complete rebuild in the box 4 months ago( 40 hours use on build) so i think its ok. im definatly not splitting the cases for another 300 hrs or more. i dont know how i didnt pick up the drive gear before and was thinking it night of just started happening from using shit oil. i went through the box last tear down and it was all looking pretty healthy. having said that, i think the drive gear is usually the first gear to wear out. was thinking of using some "slick 50" gear box treatment. think ill put up a new post on that one.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

well i tried type F in the ktm and things didnt go so well. shifting gears was alittle clanky and it was hard to find nuetral. seems the plates were sticking together too much. i put 10-40 back in, so far it seems to work as good as rotella but it was $1 cheaper. i wanted to try some other oils but they were all energy conserving. the only regular oil i seen that wasnt energy conserving was 10-40 and rotella.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

thestuz wrote: i was getting alot of clutch drag so i wanted to file down the ridges on the basket fingers. hopefully it will help.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:lol: :lol:

You must need 10 hard drives to store all that shit on. :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

ive just filled it up with some thicker oil. gonna wait for the weather to dry up then give it 5 hours of riding and see how it goes :wink: got a feeling ill end up back on the 10-/40 but ya never know if ya never go!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.

Post by 484 »

I used to use the rotella but then figured out the cheapy oil from autozone has the same additives package( read: SJ, SH, all that crap) and is a couple bux cheaper. It has to be the deisel fleet stuff, like the rotella is spec'd for, appareently it is exempt from all that mileage enhancing crap that the clutches and gears don't like. No issues with clutch so far and shifts fine, just stay on top of your changes when using the cheap stuff.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

well i took it out for a 5 hour ride and when i got back home i dumped the oil. as usual, it came out looking like silver gravy so i pulled out the clutch plates for an inspection. there was not much wear on the clutch basket fingers but the clutch hub and preassure plate look to be wearing down pretty fast. im betting this is where all the alloy in my oil is coming from! i meassured the plates and they all measured undersize(2.89mm) i also noticed that the previous owner has thrown in an extra steel clutch plate to counter act this which seems like a cheap and easy way out. i checked my clutch plates for warpage but they were fine so i cant understand why im still getting clutch drag. but ive put it all back together (in order) and am just gonna run it and change the gbox oil every ride. i hope bob was wrong about it being a gbox bearing spinning in the cases but i guess well find out in a year or so :wink:

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

barnett carbon! DO IT!
that sounds like a real nigyver clutch setup you have there, ditch it before all the material coming off it starts damaging bearings and seals.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

even the nicest clutches are pretty inexpensive, replace the clutch with something with steel plates (even EBCs work well) and put some fresh 10w40 or 15w40 oil in there and ride the shit out of the bike!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

[quote="thestuz"]thrown in an extra steel clutch plate/[quote] :shock: :shock: :shock:
I had to re-read this 3 times! SERIOUS! and you put it back together like this!!!!????!?!?!?
I think your tool box needs to be welded shut! no oil in the world is going to couter act an "extra steel plate"!!!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

replace your clutch, get fresh steels and oem fibers (last longer) you can get both of these for about $130
-Jake

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

thestuz wrote:well i took it out for a 5 hour ride and when i got back home i dumped the oil. as usual, it came out looking like silver gravy so i pulled out the clutch plates for an inspection. there was not much wear on the clutch basket fingers but the clutch hub and preassure plate look to be wearing down pretty fast. im betting this is where all the alloy in my oil is coming from! i meassured the plates and they all measured undersize(2.89mm) i also noticed that the previous owner has thrown in an extra steel clutch plate to counter act this which seems like a cheap and easy way out. i checked my clutch plates for warpage but they were fine so i cant understand why im still getting clutch drag. but ive put it all back together (in order) and am just gonna run it and change the gbox oil every ride. i hope bob was wrong about it being a gbox bearing spinning in the cases but i guess well find out in a year or so :wink:
some retard put a extra plate in there ? 2 pages of rubbish just to find out some corn hole put a extra p[late in there ???????? what kind of nitwit would do something like that ????????. i thought you had already inspected all the obvious stuff.......... obviously i was wrong :?

so you put it back together like that :shock: ???????????? BOB cant you make some type of filter system. seems like alot of hacks up in this mofo , granted not as many as the other site but still :lol: