rattling kicker

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
seanmx57

rattling kicker

Post by seanmx57 »

I've worn out my first kicker. It has become loose at the pivot. Is there any point in trying to rebuild it or just buy a new one? SH wants $85 for one. I'd run it but the noise is driving me nuts while riding. I keep thinking some thing is wrong. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep them from wearing out?
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

pull it apart and grease it
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

After every wash I WD-40ed it. R U saying greese the new one or old one? It's rattling against the frame. SH machined it so it would just clear the frame on the gen 2.

I guess I could put some bubble gum on the frame so it would dampen the rattling.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I'd say both. :lol: To bad the screw in mine is striped so I'll have to drill it out to grease it. :? But also the spline inside the case can be offset so the kicker clears the frame.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I have a service honda gen-2 so I just went and looked at it it is close no doubt
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

yup, not sure about the re-spline trick. Why couldn't you do it on the outside where the kicker goes on? Is the inside got more splines, therefore more adjustment? I'm gonna give the grease a go plus maybe some self adhesive foam or something less conspicuous on the frame.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I put a piece of radiator hose on it
03 CRF450/85 500
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

mine will actually rotate out to the side in the kicking position when i take hard rights. now i have to keep my right foot on the pegs when coming into right turns real hard... looks like i'll have to order a new one since i tried extra o-rings and everything else i could think of.
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

you can place a washer inbetween to take up some slack (i did that on a xr once, think it will work on crs) and stetch your spring so it applies more preassure to the little bearing. that with a good dose of grease should help.... or you can just buy a new one (keep them greased)
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
4Z

Post by 4Z »

I bought a new one from SH, clocked internal spline. Problem solved.
MICK

Post by MICK »

I'd just let it rattle. Before too long it'll form it's very own custom pocket to rest in your frame. That's what every damn thing else does on these beer can bikes...
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
seanmx57

Re: rattling kicker

Post by seanmx57 »

seanmx57 wrote: I'd run it but the noise is driving me nuts while riding. I keep thinking some thing is wrong.
MICK

Post by MICK »

Like a Harley...just another way the bike lets you know it hasn't quite yet.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

seanmx57 wrote:yup, not sure about the re-spline trick. Why couldn't you do it on the outside where the kicker goes on? Is the inside got more splines, therefore more adjustment? I'm gonna give the grease a go plus maybe some self adhesive foam or something less conspicuous on the frame.
The splines on the outside are to much, the inside is like half as much. Way more work to change though, but I was really glad after words.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

turns out the majority of the noise is the chain not the kicker. I ziptied a piece of an inner tube to it where it's contacting the frame and went up and down the driveway (3/4 of a mile, nice for testing stuff). At a certain fairly low rpm it shakes the chain back and forth. I assume this is a commonality with 500's that can't be fixed without keeping the RR's up. Running a TM designs buffer.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

seanmx57 wrote: I assume this is a commonality with 500's that can't be fixed without keeping the RR's up. Running a TM designs buffer.
Actually with any bike. Just means your in to high of a gear.

"Chain Slapper" :lol:
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Since I've gotten a bit outta shape and a few years older I'm using the torque a lot more than I used to. The my motor is set up with a FMF pipe I don't need to be in the meat to keep myself entertained about 1/2 the time. I gotta find a good stock pipe and reweld the bracket for a gen 2. I like the PC pipe revs but I like the low end of the FMF.

That chain sure don't look happy when it's making that noise. :roll: