good start or keep looking?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
inoculation

good start or keep looking?

Post by inoculation »

My buddy has an 06 crf250r complete roller. Is that a good place to start? I am concerned with the size of the cradle and I believe it has smaller radiators. I'm not worried about the suspension due to the fact that I am large to begin with and re valving/springs are a must on anything I buy.

How much more fab work am I looking at if I go this route instead of my 450 R if any?
Life is about choices. The choices you make, and the choices you allow others to make for you.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

I am 6'3" and 225-230 on the scale, 245 geared up. The 450R fits me very well with high bend bars. Seems to be more roomy around the engine then most builds I see... Even with my size its a huge beast under me :shock: Nothing like stalling it on a trail and having to stand on your tip toe and jump on the starter (being 6'3") or find a tree to lean on to start the beast.

As for the 250R, that's the Service Honda platform. Is your 450R a complete roller?

Good luck either way!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

my buddy Nick that just did an 06 250f had to seoften the suspension from stock cuz it was stiff like unreal, he's at 210 before gear and says it feels really good
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

02-07 CR250 would be the easiest. Least amount of fab work required.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I did a '04 crf250r (same conversion) and it was a lot of work compared to earlier 2 stroke platforms, but from what I have seen about the same work as a 450, maybe even less since the tubing is square. I did a build thread on my gen-4 but it never got added to the finished build thread.

I liked my gen-4 for MX style riding and trails, but in the sand I hated it. too steep of a head angle, so it feels shakey and unstable in the soft stuff. but for everything else the bike freaken rocked.

BTW, the ergos are pretty much the same unless to look at a gen-3 450. I'm 6'1" and 190lbs and the gen-4 was perfect for me. spriung a little stiff, but I left the springs alone.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:.... but in the sand I hated it. ...it feels shakey and unstable in the soft stuff.
Thats cuz the front wheel was touching the ground....

:nyah:

:whoop:
yota

Post by yota »

I love riding in sand...of course that's all we have here.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

AlisoBob wrote:
dannygraves wrote:.... but in the sand I hated it. ...it feels shakey and unstable in the soft stuff.
Thats cuz the front wheel was touching the ground....

:nyah:

:whoop:
:lol:
except when I was having my wheelie "oh shit" moments! :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

yota wrote:I love riding in sand...of course that's all we have here.
is this florida? where do you find good trails? my folks on the treasure coast...anything worth riding around there?
yota

Post by yota »

we ride 90% of the time at Croom, where this pic was taken. its about 1 1/2 hr west of orlando, is a 2800 acre state park for off road freaks. mostly forested, with a few sand pits and an old quarry with some climbs and drops (not the big climbs you western guys have). there are several riding areas for kids also. its a pretty fun place though. miles of whoops (: and lots of logs.
yota

Post by yota »

oops, sorry about your thread man... :oops:
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

Yota thanks! looks pretty good actually.

sorry for the thread hi-jack....
inoculation

Post by inoculation »

No worries about the thread. It was just a simple question. My 450 is a complete bike with a motor that is soon to be toast. I usually go through a 450 every 6 to 9 months. I am large at 6'3" 250 nude. Geared up I suppose I am close to 260-265. I am a solid A level off road rider when I'm in shape. and I carry the speed of a vet int. at mx, but my stamina is lacking.

I ride everything. I use to race worcs, big6, d37desert, ama enduro, and local motocross. But I really enjoy riding off road nowadays and I ride sand every chance I get. But not beach sand like glamis or dumont. I ride wash areas mostly.

I will build an AF this season. I just need to go through this site and pick out what I like and what I need to get. And thank you all for all the info on this site!
Life is about choices. The choices you make, and the choices you allow others to make for you.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I love my 250X based bike

I'm 6'6" , 275

I raised the bars, lowered the pegs.....

Its sweet.

Lets hook up for a ride. You can flog it and see if its your cup of tea.
inoculation

Post by inoculation »

I would love to go out and try your bike. I also like the x model idea for the green sticker here in Kalifornia.

Let me know when and where and I will be there. Weekends or a Friday or Monday work best for me. I will need a heads up on the weekdays though. My guys at work will need to be lined out before I go play :lol: