ktm cylinder question

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
100hp honda

ktm cylinder question

Post by 100hp honda »

anybody know if the 550 2stroke in '95-'96 used a steel sleeve like cr500 or was it aluminum sleeve with nikasil plating ? it seems the pistons have went extinct, im trying to find out why. wiseco, pro x and vertex doesnt make one either
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

I think that it used aluminium,but not sure,i have a 98 EXC 250 with a broken piston and the cylinder have nikasil there's no problem for find a new piston,sorry i can't help too much but i do my best, by the way do you have a 550 MXC?
CR500R
V-MAX 1200
yota

Post by yota »

ask these guys, they know all about the old KTM big bores
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showforum=154
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i found out ktm plates the cylinders and its aluminum sleeve. so if i ever need a top end ill probly just slap in new rings and put it back together. makes it real easy
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

in my 360sx I bored the plated liner out and put an LA sleeve in there. :D
JR650

Post by JR650 »

If worst comes to worst for pistons, I believe Arias will do 2 stroke pistons, they can build anything. I run them in a nasty a-headed 521 ford, absolute top quality work, beautiful stuff. good guys to deal with too. Might be worth a call.
00 XR650R street legal SM
02 250/500
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i found some stock cast pistons, only problem is their real expensive. i dont mind using a cast piston, but im going to search other avenues before forking out the cash. ive been told that wiseco is supposedly in the process of making a run of pistons for my bike, im trying to contact the other company to see if this information is true and when they might have a date theyll be available.
JR650

Post by JR650 »

guess i could have left the website hey. http://www.ariaspistons.com
00 XR650R street legal SM
02 250/500
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

I have conversed a little with the sales manager for Wossner pistons USA. Nice guy. He says they will make any custom piston as long as you buy 4 like pistons. There manufacturing plant is in Germany where the pistons are made then shipped here to a warehouse in LA somewhere. He told me if I sent him a piston, they would make it. With your aluminum bore, as long as you keep it the stock bore size, 4 pistons would be a lifetime supply but you would have pistons.

Most of their pistons are single ring, and do make them for CR 500's. I have seen one of these pistons (for a 250r) but they are very lightweight like the old Wiesco's used to be and have a antiscuff material applied to the piston skirts. Real nice looking piece.

John Noonan 714-369-8879. john@wossner-usa.com

I see on their website all makes and models of KTM pistons both 2 and 4 stroke but the old 440-550 cc machines aren't listed. It would be worth a try for sure.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

LOVEMYCR500 wrote:I have conversed a little with the sales manager for Wossner pistons USA. Nice guy. He says they will make any custom piston as long as you buy 4 like pistons. There manufacturing plant is in Germany where the pistons are made then shipped here to a warehouse in LA somewhere. He told me if I sent him a piston, they would make it. With your aluminum bore, as long as you keep it the stock bore size, 4 pistons would be a lifetime supply but you would have pistons.

Most of their pistons are single ring, and do make them for CR 500's. I have seen one of these pistons (for a 250r) but they are very lightweight like the old Wiesco's used to be and have a antiscuff material applied to the piston skirts. Real nice looking piece.

John Noonan 714-369-8879. john@wossner-usa.com

I see on their website all makes and models of KTM pistons both 2 and 4 stroke but the old 440-550 cc machines aren't listed. It would be worth a try for sure.
its something ill keep in mind. i did find some pistons at a ktm shop in claifornia. i think they are mahle pistons. i have no experience with mahle, but everyone i talked to said they are top qaulity. also, i heard wiseco supposedly has some 550 pistons in the works, i havent been able to confirm it but thats what i heard. the problem with wiseco is they have a 12 order minimum on 2stroke pistons. one way or another ill get a piston :lol:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Or 4 or 12 :lol: :lol: :lol: