FWW removal

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.

FWW removal

Post by 484 »

OK time to take off the FWW from my 96, or should I say FFWW, F***ing flywheel weight.
How does it come off? It has 4 set screws around perimeter. Allen head snapped in one so out come the easy outs. Dont know whose idea it was to put these little setscrews so that centrifugal force always works them out( except ones that get stuck and break tools), but that's another story. There are two threaded holes on either side of the crank opening for a puller or it looks like I can just thread bolts in them and drive off the FWW. But the crank opening is threaded, it looks like the FWW is threaded onto the end of crank, is this correct? It is a stealthy products FWW. The threads look left handed. I still have to go out there and remove the stuck setscrew so I haven't messed with actual removal yet. Any tips?
thanks
j

Post by 484 »

oh I think I understand. FWW acts like a flywheel nut? The 2 holes are there so I can make some bracket to turn FWW? This begs the question-what will hold on flywheel once this POS is off? I don't have nut that size laying around, am I correct that it is left handed as well? So I need to turn FWW clockwise to loosen it?
those set screws seem kinda extraneous to me. whole thing sux as I wanna ride tomorrow and now I guess I gotta leave it on while my nut arrives. Jokes about waiting a week for a nut welcome.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

The two threaded holes are for a installation/removal tool that is supplied with the FWW. It is basically a flat bar about 1"x3"x1/4". It has two holes that are used to screw to the two holes in the FWW. In the middle, it has a 1/2" square hole for a rachet or breaker bar. The FWW acts as the nut that holds the FW on. The tool is what lets you turn it. As for the set screws, if one seems overly tight, go to the next one and try it. If you can get one or two loose it takes some tension off the ones that are too tight.
If I can find my tool, i'll try and get a picture up this evening.

Post by 484 »

thanks. Look like someone forgot to include the tool and nut when they sold it to me. That's the problem with so much aftermarket goo-gaws. I may take some angle iron and bolt it on the FWW. Then I can give it a good whack.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

Here is the tool. What you talked about doing will probably work. You might even be able to just put some longer bolts in the two holes and use a bar between the bolts.
yaya

Post by yaya »

What ever you use, make sure the two bolts are tight. I half ass tightened mine and snapped a bolt. I got it out but wasted 30 min.
BBB!
Bikes, Broads, Beer.
Who gives a crap what order it's in...