Paddle tire fitment?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
smokindodge

Paddle tire fitment?

Post by smokindodge »

I have got a gen 1 I need to throw a paddle on. I bought an 18 inch rim to put it on and I want to know what will fit. I am going to pick up a 10 paddle for sure. The reason I ask is I had a 10 paddle on my old steelie and it seemed like it barely fit. Will it have the same clearance as my steelie? This is a little off topic but as long as I am at it here am I going to have any trouble wooping on my buddy with a 450 climbing at the dunes? In particular sand mountain at little sahara in Utah. My past experience tells me no, but this cocky bastard thinks his 450 is where it's at. My motor is basically stock with a PC pipe and flywheel weight. I mean I have no problem taking the old gal to get ported before our trip to the dunes just so I can woop his ass in style. Let me know what you think!!
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much"...... John Wayne
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

first off get a shock sock since the paddle will chew up the guard if you don't remove it. also try to get your wheel as far back in the swingarm as possible.

Its really tough to whoop on the fo fiddys in the sand, they launch much better, then you need a whole lot of hill to catch up. I have the best luck putting the smack down on really steep and really smooth hills where my torque can really shine. In the whoops all that torque tries to loop the bike and the hills that aren't really steep are a big advantage to the 12,000rpm clean broad HP producing 450. find a lot hill that sits as steep as sand will sit, like a hill where a small sand avalanch happens everytime you cross it and you will eat that 450 for lunch.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Re: Paddle tire fitment?

Post by 100hp honda »

smokindodge wrote:I have got a gen 1 I need to throw a paddle on. I bought an 18 inch rim to put it on and I want to know what will fit. I am going to pick up a 10 paddle for sure. The reason I ask is I had a 10 paddle on my old steelie and it seemed like it barely fit. Will it have the same clearance as my steelie? This is a little off topic but as long as I am at it here am I going to have any trouble wooping on my buddy with a 450 climbing at the dunes? In particular sand mountain at little sahara in Utah. My past experience tells me no, but this cocky bastard thinks his 450 is where it's at. My motor is basically stock with a PC pipe and flywheel weight. I mean I have no problem taking the old gal to get ported before our trip to the dunes just so I can woop his ass in style. Let me know what you think!!
i wouldnt tear it apart just to show your buddy whos faster but thats just me. do you meen the tire barely fit because it rubbed the mudflap ? honestly i would pass on the 10 cup and get 12 cup hooker, add 2-4 links in your chain so the tire can slide farther back, and only run 1/2-1 gallon of fuel at a time while racing, and make sure the carb is tuned in real good. gasoline is roughly 6lb per gallon and it adds alot of unnecessary weight if you have a full tank when racing up the hills, the less weight you have the better. what days you heading to sand mountain ? im not far from there and might go sometime soon

i wont contradict what danny says but if you remove the mudflap, it sand blasts everything in there including the back of the motor and carb.......just to give you fore warning
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I run 8 puck turbo paddles, I like them because they dig down and hookup instead of floating on top and just blowing sand everywhere. well, that and I get them for free :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

Well shit, I guess I'll go ahead and post my vote for full porting and some head work for compression boost. The difference between a stock 500 and a properly ported one is night and day in the dunes and a 12 paddle would be the call for certain. Then run some race gas and mix and jet everything spot on. That is if you really want to handle the 450 because anything thing less might not get it done.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

when I was young and lite I ran a 12, the last two bikes have neen 10's. I prefer the Skat Trak Viper on the smallest tire I can find. I run the wheel back as far as I can and have never had to take the mud flap off. This worked perfect on my gen 3 with an 18" rear.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

dannygraves wrote:I run 8 puck turbo paddles, I like them because they dig down and hookup instead of floating on top and just blowing sand everywhere. well, that and I get them for free :wink:
:shock: you been using 8 cup on your 500 ?? no wonder you get you doors blown off by a 450 :lol:
smokindodge

Post by smokindodge »

Thanks for the replies, I am really not all hung up on wooping him, I just get tired of hearing how bad ass his 450 is and his wifes 450 fourwheeler. I mainly ride my bike in the desert and single tracks in the mountains. I don't know if porting will make it less fun to ride in the mountains? If so I'd rather not. Here is a video of sand mountain where we are going, it is over 700 vertical feet I believe, it is a pretty steep SOB. I think the 500 will shine, what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCGMGGxXJos
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much"...... John Wayne
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

don't port dude, it starts a vicious cycle that results in a gnarly dunes machine that can't ride trails anymore. :lol: :wink:
I'm sure you'll take him, it looks long enough.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

i run a 10 cup its a happy medium between spin and hook.. I like it but i always want more.. so im going to try a 12 next :P
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC