Pinging Problem

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
HrcRacing

Pinging Problem

Post by HrcRacing »

Got my bike dirty last Saturday but had a bit of an issue with pinging if I revved the bike out a bit. If I short shifted it, it was fine.

It was, for us, a cold day with the low that morning around 30 degrees but this continued even when it warmed up to the 60's.

Any suggestions (jetting) or should I just leave it alone and short shift it?

Thank you. :cool:

Uzi

Post by Uzi »

Are you running the PWK? What needle? Also is your bike all stock? What octane are you running?

I've had it on mine in the cold before too but it was much colder (10-20* F when ice racing) but it was also an 85' with lots of compression. I just raised the needle and ran higher octane.

Your bike looks awesome glad to see it out gettin used and abused :cool:
1982 XR200
1985 CR500 86' Motor
1990 CR500 85' Motor
2000 CR250
MICK

Post by MICK »

Robert my bike was doing a little of that too the weekend before last. I guess the weather decided to go winter on us all of a sudden? I've made jetting changes the last three rides this month. Should be good now. If you're pinging on top you'll need to go a couple sizes up on the main. If it was just surging a bit you could get away with just raising the needle, but sounds like you're pretty far off at the moment...

Our bikes and elevation are pretty similar I think: I've settled on a 62 pilot, a/s 1.25 turns out, needle in the middle position and a 175 main.

You still up for riding this weekend?
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Yes, it's a 39mm PWK with a 1368 needle (3rd clip) and 93 octane premix. Stock bike with just the FMF Gnarly pipe/silencer.

Mick, the last change I did was to go to a 50 pilot (or was it 52?) so we're way different there. Other than that, we're basically the same.

I have to help a buddy with a pole barn this weekend but the following one should be wide open. You may want to Mapquest it though as it looks like PaxTrax is a very long trip for you.

Their address is: 2529 North State Street, Bunnell, Florida 32110.

Let me know what you think and maybe we can meet somewhere more central to both of us?
MICK

riding areas

Post by MICK »

There's Southern Raceway just South of Bainbridge, GA. It's 150 miles for me and 200 miles coming from Jacksonville. Raced there a couple times, awsome track and facility.
http://www.southernracewaymx.com

DirtFarm is just north of St. George, GA. Bout 55 miles North of Jacksonville. Never been there but wanting to go.
http://www.powersportz.com/index.html

AMX Park is due North of Tallahassee. Never been here either but it's dead center for both of us. About 180 miles respectfully for each (I'm assuming your coming from Jacksonville).
http://amxpark.com/index.htm

These are the three I know of located between the two of us. Maybe you know a couple others? Check 'em out and let me know what you think :D

Didn't mean to :hijacked: this post was supposed to be a PM. My bad...
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

My daughter goes to FSU and has an apartment off of 27 so the Bainbridge track might be the hot ticket since I could visit her and spend the night (if I can get my bike in her kitchen :wink: ).

Is it a pretty technical track or can an old slow guy like me do alright on it? Also, is there any elevation changes?

All of the tracks close to here are flat as a board with jumps built on them. They're good but some rolling terrain would be nice.
MICK

Post by MICK »

Yes Southern Raceway has some rolly polies. Track has good rythm. Good speed, big jumps...not alot of stop and go crap. You can fart along pretty slow if you wanted to. No SX influence there. I liken it to Monster Mountain. But the Monster has much larger climbs, longer + wider track and good trails.

...How old is the daughter? :devious: ...just goof'n
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

MICK wrote:...How old is the daughter? :devious: ...just goof'n
that's the first thing that came to mind when he said that. too bad i'm a couple states away, lol
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

1468 or DGJ needle. :wink:
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

MICK wrote:Yes Southern Raceway has some rolly polies. Track has good rythm. Good speed, big jumps...not alot of stop and go crap. You can fart along pretty slow if you wanted to. No SX influence there. I liken it to Monster Mountain. But the Monster has much larger climbs, longer + wider track and good trails.
Shit, Monster sounds better. Where's it at?
MICK

Post by MICK »

Well Monster would be a haul for you...It's just outside of Montgomery, AL. It's worth every bit of the drive for me, I'd go there everyweekend if I could.
www.MonsterMX.com
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

MICK wrote:Well Monster would be a haul for you...It's just outside of Montgomery, AL. It's worth every bit of the drive for me, I'd go there everyweekend if I could.
www.MonsterMX.com
Yeah, I checked it on Mapquest and it's a 6.5 hour drive. :cry:

I'm going to check with a buddy of mine to see if he's interested in going to the Bainbridge track. :cool:
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Mick, what do you think about Saturday, 2/21? I talked with my friend and he reminded me that next Saturday is Valentine's Day. Gotta' spoil the wifes that day. :)

Let me know man. :cool: