Radiator selection for Gen3 CR250 conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
cr_denny

Radiator selection for Gen3 CR250 conversion

Post by cr_denny »

Just got my roller undressed and have lined up a local welder. Both aluminum frame and CR500 motor are laying around the garage eyeing each other as if they're getting ready to fornicate. I'm off to see the welder on Friday.

I'm wondering if there is an ideal radiator set to use for a Gen3 conversion? It seems like I've seen a few posts of folks using CRF250 rads. Any help would be great.

Thanks
robertg

Post by robertg »

I used my 125 rads, and I just had to make the bottom spout bigger. I think if you use the 250 rads you have to relocate it to the back of the rad to the bottom.

I'm pretty sure there isn't any rad that is just a bolt on. Use what you have if they are in good shape.
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

there is nothing wrong with modifying your gen. three rads. Using gen. two rads also works well, becuase only one of the rads needs to be modified at the bottom for the cross-over tube whereas the gen. three rads both need to be modified.
CR500AC widget maker
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Im completly convinced that the CRF250F rads cool better than the stock 500 rads.

I think the CRF rads are what TTM uses as well, he could comment on shroud allignment and other issues when using them.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

they wont fit your gen 3 tho
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

I really like the CRF250 rads with minimum coaxing the bolt up to your shrouds you have to relocate the mounting tabs and cut off one spout plug it and add one to the bottom of the right side Rad preferably a CR500 lower spout to maintain the same hose size and the angle is already correct :wink:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
chachi243

the stockers for the 2 stroke platform

Post by chachi243 »

i have always used the stock 250R 2 stroke rads in my CR250R builds...... just relocate a spigot on the right side and tweak the center ports at the bottom with a socket and an extension
Balaclava

Re: the stockers for the 2 stroke platform

Post by Balaclava »

chachi243 wrote:i have always used the stock 250R 2 stroke rads in my CR250R builds...... just relocate a spigot on the right side and tweak the center ports at the bottom with a socket and an extension
Exactly...such an easy mod it took me two seconds to bend those spigots inwards away from the cylinder...and that's exactly what i used a socket extension...and if you use your stock 250 rads then you don't need to chop and relocate your rad mounts...be careful about raising your Y so that it doesn't interfere with the radiators...it's very very close.
tracetrimble

Post by tracetrimble »

AlisoBob wrote:Im completly convinced that the CRF250F rads cool better than the stock 500 rads.
They should; 4t's generate a lot more heat than 2t's.
Trace
'00 KTM 380EXC, and looking for the right AF project.
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

I used my cr250 gen 3 rads. Right side got the spigot removed from the side and put on the bottom. The 250 hose was a whore to heat up and stretch over the cr500 engine side spigot, but I got it on there. Mylers did all the mods for me, straightened them, and sent them back in one day.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!