2008 Service Honda AF

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
belandbroc

2008 Service Honda AF

Post by belandbroc »

Just got mine, the shifter that comes on the bike does not go level with the peg, so it slopes up, way too far to shift. I called Service Honda, they are helping to exchange for ???? This is where i need help, an RM250 2007 shifter looks like it has the perfect bend I need, only it's splines do not work on the honda shaft.

Does anyone know of a shifter the will work for this issue, I have a stock CR 500 shifter that I used for the week end ride, it does not come out enough, but it did work better than what SH sends on the units.. Too bad you have to pull the engine to get it on though.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I never had to pull my engine to get my shifter on.? That's kind of strange...i would smack those guys for sending you a lame shifter, I used a cr500 engine shifter on my 450 conversion and i really liked the position of the lever...kind of weird that you would have problems with your shifter on a service honda bike though.
belandbroc

stock shifter

Post by belandbroc »

The stock shifter bolt enters from the bottom, right where the SH frame rail is, there is no way to slide the shifter on and then shove in the bolt. Another good reason to find a RM250 type shifter as it's bolt enters from the rear side.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

pull the motor to change the shifter ? S/H should of had this kink worked out years ago :shock:. i wont even ask what you payed for the bike :lol:
kkvslayer

Post by kkvslayer »

You have to pull your engine to remove your shifter :?: :shock: ,I'm just gonna go stuff a sock in my mouth and tape my fingers together now so I can't reply to this anymore
1994 Heartless CR500R
1986 KX500
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I don't believe the '07 and '08 frames are fundamentally different - leaving aside the steering damper. You can get the shifter on and off without doing anything other than clicking down to give yourself and little more room to get the pinch bolt in and out...
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

oh theres a secret to getting shifter off on the '05-'08 ? :lol: i couldnt see s/h sending out bikes that require motor removal just to get shifter off....but then again you never know
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lmao:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

on the gen-4s the frame doesn't leave any room to get the upward facing shifter bolt out. on mine, I driled through the thread, grinded it down so I could fit a nut on and use a nut on the bottom and drive the bolt down.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
belandbroc

Confusion

Post by belandbroc »

The SH shifter DOES NOT require any removal of the engine to adjust the shifter, it simply does not adjust to a level position. It is the substitute I used off of a stock cR500 that required the engine to be pulled. (it is all about where the cinch bolt enters the lever)

Either way, SH is working on a solution today. I was only looking for anyone who had picked up a off the shelf item that would work as I may need a back up at some point in time. Thanks for the responses, especially the funny one and I will follow up with SH's customer service as it has been very good so far.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ya, on my gen-4 the shifter would go on, but 2 splines lower that I like (might have been higher, can't remember, but it was 2 off. Thats why I took the shifter, drilled out the threaded top half and grinded the end of the threaded side flat for the bolt head to sit flet, then used a longer bolt and put a nut on the end. took all of 5 mintes and a $.20 nut and bolt. plus its actually easier to remove and reinstall that it was stock in a steel frame because you loosen it, then take the nut off anf the bolt just slides out. I'll see if I can snap a pic for you.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
belandbroc

I got it dude

Post by belandbroc »

Pic not necessary and idea very helpful. But it looks like SH is going to modify what I need and mail out today. Your idea is simple and helpful, now a joke as I sincerely appreciate your input, here it is: But that would be like putting an odd bolt in my clutch cover that would have a 10mm head where all the stock bolts are 8mm, kind of hillbilly. Again, I couldn't help myself, I really do appreciate your idea.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

hey, its all good, I know, I'm a redneck :wink: Then again, I'd never mix clutch bolts since it is a rotating peice which would then be thrown out of balance :wink: Now, any other bolt on the other hand... :lol:
The only reason I did what I did with the gen-4 was a combination of lazyness not to hunt down a shifter which had a different bolt location and wanting to ride the next morning. I was under the impression you were in a similar situation which is the only reason I made the recomendation. good luck :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Oh, and I don't have the pockets to own a new SH bike, so I can't really call AJ and have him haul ass and overnight me a shifter :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

dannygraves wrote:Oh, and I don't have the pockets to own a new SH bike, so I can't really call AJ and have him haul ass and overnight me a shifter :wink:
STFU! If you had the money you'd buy a service honda?
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

nnnaaa, your right, I'd just buy a brand new chassis and completely rebuild the 500 motor... actually, now that I think about it, if I had more money, I wouldn't have newer more expensive bikes, I'd just have more bikes :wink: :lol: Cuz I'm hungarian so I'm a tight-wad and cr500 riding descentent of nomadic horse men! WOOT! :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

teemtrubble wrote:STFU! If you had the money you'd buy a service honda?
:rotfl: you could build two or possibly three bikes for the price of one service honda... :idea:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

my point exactly :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

but you already have 3 god damn af's!!! i'm close i got two! one doesn't have an engine yet...haha
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ya, but my gen-4 is gonna be up for sale next week... need some $$$ and I need to finish the gen-3. Plus I really just don't like the gen-4 for my syle of riding...
but... I also have 3 more non 500 bikes that I havn't added to my sig.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

teemtrubble wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lmao:
Why did I know this was coming. :lol:
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

dannygraves wrote:ya, but my gen-4 is gonna be up for sale next week... need some $$$ and I need to finish the gen-3. Plus I really just don't like the gen-4 for my syle of riding...
but... I also have 3 more non 500 bikes that I havn't added to my sig.
What are you going to be selling the gen 4 for?
juddy

Post by juddy »

Mine is a gen 4 frame.Buggered if I can see what the problem is removing the shifter or getting it level with the peg.Am I missing something ??

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

good to know the sunline shifter fixes the prob. :D
the stock shifter has a bolt that goes strait up and there isn;'t enough room to get the bolt in if you put the shifer where its supposed to be.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

what application was that sunline shifetr for? they only list a crf450 and crf250 application.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80