Tranny Noises?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
DesertCR

Tranny Noises?

Post by DesertCR »

Well I've been riding the bike down the street to make sure everthing is ok after the rebuild. And it seems alright except that I'm hearing some tranny noises when the bike is idling and especially when I pull the clutch in. Any idea of what it can be? I used same clutch and basket, it seemed fine before. I'm trying to get this thing dialed in before I head out in a week or two to the desert.
MICK

Post by MICK »

Did you have the cases split and or the kick starter assembly apart? If yes take the right side crank case cover off and turn the idler gear around. The collar on the gear should face out, not in towards the center cases. The clutch has a little play in and out. When the idler gear is installed incorrectly it eats the basket's rivets off when the clutch is engaged. You can check your oil as well to convirm shavings from the rivets heads.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Thanks for the advice. I did split the cases and I do remember the idle gear, but I remeber if the collar was installed the wrong way it wouldnt turn correctly. I will take the cover of and recheck before I take it out, thanks.
supermotoflunkie

Post by supermotoflunkie »

I dont mean to be a dick here, no disrespect intended...

...but it will make noise if it does not have tranny fluid in it...Often enough Iv been in a hurry to get something finished/started up and forgot one fluid or another...enough to remember it now, every time I service something.

Also FWIW my (YZ) 450 has an audible change in pitch whether the clutch is in our out. I split cases to inspect and found nothing plausible to cause the noise.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

if you can stop the noise by pulling the start lever forward of the natural stop position, you don't have the dots lined up right on the back cog.
03 CRF450/85 500
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Are you referring to me? What is a start lever.
I'm just confused because when I put the bike into first gear, it sounds perfect except for pulling in the clutch. But it also sounds a little funny when in neutral. I'm going to check my tranny fluid and go from there. I just havent had a chance because I'm really busy with school.
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

I think he's referring to the kick starter.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

87CR500Rider wrote:I think he's referring to the kick starter.
That is correct. "Start Lever" threw me for a sec. But the dots on the gear have to be lined up.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Id be checking the t/o bearing and associated parts. If the kicker was not clocked right the noise would not change when actuating the clutch. I would focus on what "changes" when pullng the clutch lever... :wink:

Kinda like "when im driving my pick-up down the street, and press the brakes, I here a squeel, should I check the battery??" Just messin with you guys dont get all butt hurt... :wink: :lol:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Mines always done the same thing. makes less noise when the clutch lever is pulled in. My 3 wheeler was even worse, there's nothing wrong with either of them.

Also the dots on the back of the starter gear do not have to line up. I preposly offset mine one dot so the kicker won't touch the frame.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Its normal to hear clutch basket rattle when in neutral and the clutch is not being pulled (this is why many bikes have conical spring washers added to the clutch pack to combat that rattle). This guy is saying its LOUDER when you pull the clutch in.

Misclocking the kicker by a notch or 2 shouldnt cause problems but if its to far of you wil have issues...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I'd check out the t/o bearing and that big needle bearing on the main shaft. if you think about it, that bearing sits still while the clutch is engaged, but when you pull the lever it starts to spin.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

I'll have to dig into it next weekend and start with the t/o bearing. Its just weird because when I put it into first gear, everything is quite and tits. But even idling in neutral I hear a little bit of noise from the tranny and when pulling in the clutch it also sounds a little funny and more distinct, like a bearing is bad, but I've replaced every bearing except a main shaft bearing which I forgot to order but it seemed good to go. I'll see what I can figure out here soon.