Rad valve

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Ported&Polished

Rad valve

Post by Ported&Polished »

I got a rad valve from Clyde, it looks cool cause it's all polished and stuff. I stuck it on there and spent a while dialing in the carb. Now the bike has a sweet snappy feeling. Hits quick off the bottom, and any time I touch the throttle, the bike rips. So fun, and fast, I can't say anything bad about the rad valve. I was running a stock reed setup. I don't know if the money for a new one is worth spending, but for cheap, it is.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
ou812

Post by ou812 »

most people say you lose a little on top, true or false? what was your before jetting and what did you end up with after? what pipe you using?
Ported&Polished

I don't know about loss on top, hard o tell, because the bike feels so fast now. I do have th PC pipe, which folks say gives good top end. As far as jetting, it works well, but might still be off, again hard to tell. I was using a 170 main and a 42 slow, stock pwk with needle in the middle. Now I'm at 160 main, 42 slow, needle in middle. I am at 6000 feet around 80 degrees, and running straight c12 with 32 to 1 Maxima Caster. It rips anyway you look at it. So even though things might be off still(the 170 main was wrong for up here for sure), I am very pleased with the way it runs right now. Amazing how many factors go into getting these bikes spot on. And what works one day or place, can change dramatically on another day. Very happy Hoon for now. On to the next issue, rear suspension. :shock:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Sounds good. I've had one sitting on the work bench for some time, just haven't got around to trying it.
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

I liked mine so much I sold it. The reeds just didn't seem to last long, and at 60 bones a pop(Ya, Boyesens proud of em), I could get 4 sets of stockers. Dunno, the ported cylinder likes the stock cage and reeds for my riding style.
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
Ported&Polished

Well, for around here the thing seems great. I will bring my stock setup with me when I run it hard in Glamis. I would hate for that reed dealio to be the reason my bike was down for a weekend.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
97af

Post by 97af »

bigpower wrote: The reeds just didn't seem to last long, and at 60 bones a pop(Ya, Boyesens proud of em), I could get 4 sets of stockers.
Boyesen promptly sent me a new set out no charge after I bitched how long mine lasted. Mine didnt wear out,the laminate seperated.They just asked me to drop the old ones in the mail to them after I received the new ones so they could look at them.The new ones have been in quite some time now. Boyesen and the reeds get a 4 star out of me.
Still.... there isnt a replacement for the Dukas reeds I use to use religiously.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I was thinking about getting one for the gen 1 project that would help with the air box boot being short thing wouldent it?
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

97af wrote: Still.... there isnt a replacement for the Dukas reeds I use to use religiously.
If yer a real good boy and eat yer wheaties, I just happen to know a guy that has a few sets.

Honestly fellas, those are the best reeds, PERIOD!
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

Ported&Polished wrote:Well, for around here the thing seems great. I will bring my stock setup with me when I run it hard in Glamis. I would hate for that reed dealio to be the reason my bike was down for a weekend.
that thing is brandnew and the screws are loctited in. but do as you wish :eatdrink:
ou812

Post by ou812 »

on a stock cage I've had great results with TDR reeeds. When I talked to Glen at GSS he said they were good also.
Ported&Polished

100hp honda wrote:
Ported&Polished wrote:Well, for around here the thing seems great. I will bring my stock setup with me when I run it hard in Glamis. I would hate for that reed dealio to be the reason my bike was down for a weekend.
that thing is brandnew and the screws are loctited in. but do as you wish :eatdrink:
I like it, and don't expect any problems, but why not bring the stock reed cage assembly with, that way if there is a problem, I will be ok. Likewise, I have nice ASV levers, but I will be bringing the stockers just in case also. :wink:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

Dennis Kirk wants $171 for the Boyesen and $142 for the V-Force Delta 2. I DK is usually a little more expensive than other places but when they say it's in stock, I get it within 3 - 4 days with no problems. Has anyone tried the V-Force D2?
coley13

Post by coley13 »

i'm about to put the standard reeds back in mine, i think the lack of top end could be due to a misconception of the rear wheel breaking traction. i found with the rad valve even though it pulls harder off the bottom the wheel is breaking traction more readily giving the feeling the bike is signing off up top quicker.

i found the jetting never needed changing by putting the rad valve in.
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
LOVEMYCR500

Rad Valve

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

Personally I prefer the V-Force cage. Only complaint on these, sometimes you must use sealer on the gaskets to get it air tight. I think they perform better all around than Rad Valve, plus I haven't ever replaced a reed petal with a V-Force. I like the fact you can use the stock intake manifold as well and it doesn't mess the length up from the back of the carb to the air boot. Just personal preference.