I don't understand.....

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
JBaze

I don't understand.....

Post by JBaze »

I will probably get alot of flak for this, but here goes anyway, I don't get the whole thing with turning CR500's into street bikes. I like the explosive power and all, but I don't get the hype with riding street with them. I have an 07 XR650L that I cruise around town and everything, but going down I-90 for short bits or riding the country roads around here, that thing is all over the place if you get any wind, and that bike weighs 2 times as much as my 500. I am not knocking at all, I just don't really understand. My bad I guess. :cool:
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

You're not alone.

I get it for asphalt racing (supermoto), but as a bike to just ride around the street... I don't get it.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

It depends on the streets you ride. If you live where I did, in the big city, it will dominate the traffic and be nimble as hell around block. If you live in the hills with tight twisties, it's great. But, if you ride the freeways and long straightaways, forget it.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I wouldnt ride it far, but the after wash blast around the block, or the "I just serviced my boingers and want to test them out without the Po-Po puttin' the cuffs on " test ride are appealing...
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Supermoto on the street is not practical and any logical argument on the subject is redundant. However consider for a moment all the acceleration of your CR500R (and better because you have more grip), maybe 2/3 the weight of a street bike, more brake than you know what to do with, and a top speed around 100. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I use to think how cool it would be to ride a street legal dirt bike in my 20's. But once you get to speed now what? I gets boring after that. Oh sure you could brake harder do a few wheelies, cut across a park, through a field, but then you would be a revenue magnet for the man. That's why to this day I don't ride a street bike. I'd get caught doing stupid shit.
ou812

Post by ou812 »

I does have one good purpose should you care to do it. Hooligan rides in the downtown area up and down parkcades, stairs and general hell raising . BTW not that I would do that, so don't beat me up.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

Just wait till his melon slams the street.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

TYSTYX wrote:Just wait till his melon slams the street.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

AlisoBob wrote:
Ummmm.... Wow!!!! Was he chasing a basket ball?
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
MrDude_1

Re: I don't understand.....

Post by MrDude_1 »

JBaze wrote:I will probably get alot of flak for this, but here goes anyway, I don't get the whole thing with turning CR500's into street bikes. I like the explosive power and all, but I don't get the hype with riding street with them. I have an 07 XR650L that I cruise around town and everything, but going down I-90 for short bits or riding the country roads around here, that thing is all over the place if you get any wind, and that bike weighs 2 times as much as my 500. I am not knocking at all, I just don't really understand. My bad I guess. :cool:
well its simple, if you have nothing to gain, its stupid.

I did it because i have something to gain. I dont own a car, truck or other 4 wheeled vehicle. just a few bikes.
so if i want to go ride my CR, i have to hit up a few streets to get to the trail.
also, i wanted to go supermoto racing.
i can toss my CR in the race truck with my friends when we go out, but what if i just want to go pratice. or ride a parkinglot course? or as mentioned above, go raise hell...

just get on and ride. its there as an additional option. not a replacement for off-road riding.
then again, it was easy for me. i require no mods to register, SAVED money by insuring it, and dont HAVE to make it a real street bike.

yesterday evening tropical storm hanna rained here... got off work early, and spent the day bombing around puddles and parks, backroads, etc.. it was a blast.. and i couldnt really do it on any other bike. what else clears 2' of water and has the power to wheelie across it? lol
JBaze

Re: I don't understand.....

Post by JBaze »

MrDude_1 wrote:
JBaze wrote:I will probably get alot of flak for this, but here goes anyway, I don't get the whole thing with turning CR500's into street bikes. I like the explosive power and all, but I don't get the hype with riding street with them. I have an 07 XR650L that I cruise around town and everything, but going down I-90 for short bits or riding the country roads around here, that thing is all over the place if you get any wind, and that bike weighs 2 times as much as my 500. I am not knocking at all, I just don't really understand. My bad I guess. :cool:
well its simple, if you have nothing to gain, its stupid.

I did it because i have something to gain. I dont own a car, truck or other 4 wheeled vehicle. just a few bikes.
so if i want to go ride my CR, i have to hit up a few streets to get to the trail.
also, i wanted to go supermoto racing.
i can toss my CR in the race truck with my friends when we go out, but what if i just want to go pratice. or ride a parkinglot course? or as mentioned above, go raise hell...

just get on and ride. its there as an additional option. not a replacement for off-road riding.
then again, it was easy for me. i require no mods to register, SAVED money by insuring it, and dont HAVE to make it a real street bike.

yesterday evening tropical storm hanna rained here... got off work early, and spent the day bombing around puddles and parks, backroads, etc.. it was a blast.. and i couldnt really do it on any other bike. what else clears 2' of water and has the power to wheelie across it? lol
Thats cool. Like I said I'm not knocking, I was just curious. I bought my 650L last year for similar reasons. If I want to ride I just go get on it and bomb around town and then hit a couple of gravel roads or what ever,. But after a while it gets a little old having speed limits and laws. Like in the video that Bob posted, all those guys are doing is giving more ammo to the people trying to do away with off road sport. As far as Supermoto goes, it hasn't caught on real big here yet, because we live in the middle of a desert! How ever, if given the chance I would try it in a heartbeat.
roost251

Post by roost251 »

because it is not supposed to be done, the first time I saw a street legal cr 500 with a plate on it at a stop light and smelled that premix I almost shot a load in my pants.
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

roost251 wrote:because it is not supposed to be done, the first time I saw a street legal cr 500 with a plate on it at a stop light and smelled that premix I almost shot a load in my pants.
you do get that 'ha! im getting away with something!' feeling.. and i love that "OMG thats LEGAL?!" reaction.

when you kickstart a bike somewhere.. people just look.
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

I came across this on another board, and it reminded me of this thread...

The best thing about motards is being able to live the childhood dream of following the ups and downs next to the highway.

honestly.. that has ALOT to do with why i have a street legal dirtbike at all.
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

The only thing that bike needs is a orange drink dispenser.

More Mayonaise please!!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

[quote=""SOLID", Bro!"]The only thing that bike needs is a orange drink dispenser.

More Mayonaise please!!!![/quote]

:lmao: :rotfl: :lmao:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

teamdns

Post by teamdns »

damn and i was hoping for this one! :lol:

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

Now thats funny s#!t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!