RM500

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
quantum500

RM500

Post by quantum500 »

My version of a conversion. First test run ran tonight in twilight seemed to work good. I have a few details to clean up. Ported '87 motor hauls the mail.

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

What year is that Zuchini? It doesn't look to be a aluminum frame or a twin spar frame for that matter. I know the new ones are, only Yamaha still makes their bikes the old fashioned way, wonder why? Anyway glad to see your conversion is working, even if I don't think it looks very good.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Skidmark

Re: RM500

Post by Skidmark »

[quote="quantum500"]My version of a conversion. I have a few details to clean up.

Time for FrankenZuki to get a clean shave and some new clothes!!! YEOWCH!

Otherwise.... Good On Ya Brother !!!! Ride the piss out of her.

At least you don't have to worry about scratching her.

Skiddy
:shark:
I'd rather be riding right now!!!

1982 CBX six, 04 XB12S Lightning, 91 XR100R, 03 Yosh DRZ450S, 74 DT250A, 80 CR125R, 79 Husky CR390, 02 RM250, 07 LTZ90, 75 914 2.0, 08 Tundra5.74x4
quantum500

Re: RM500

Post by quantum500 »

Skidmark wrote: Time for FrankenZuki to get a clean shave and some new clothes!!! YEOWCH!

Skiddy
:shark:
Yeah thats in the works. I was more concerned with the mechanics of it. Appearance has never made any of my bikes last longer, go faster......you get the idea.
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Nice! How hard was it to get the motor in that frame?
MICK

Post by MICK »

Looks sweet, minus the roached appearence. But I love RM's. Probably get a lot of flake for saying this, but I think Suzuki chassis kick ass! I love the suspension, brakes and just the overall feel of them. There wouldn't happen to be a chance I can ride that sucker is there? :cool:
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

No problem Mick, any time your in colorado your welcome to. I like that chassis too. Its actually a pretty low hour bike it just sat out side too much. Nothing a little grease didn't cure. The only think I had to buy to get it done was a copper tee and a rear sprocket. I'm going to need some aluminum sheet to finish up the air box. Pretty low buck. It wasn't too hard to get the motor in there. Had to move the bottom motor mounts shim the swing arm very little re-drill the front motor mounts hack just a little bit of the y out weld a tab for the coil lengthen the ignition wires. Pipe mounts actually lined up with a steely mount in the front. I'm not quite happy with my cable/wire routing yet but I'll get that figured out. Took it out for a little spin this morning, man it sure sets into a corner nice.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I dunno..... seems like a whole lot of work, for not much in return.

Cut off the steering stem tube off a CR500 steelie, reweld it at the same angle as the RM... .done.
quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

AlisoBob wrote:I dunno..... seems like a whole lot of work, for not much in return.

Cut off the steering stem tube off a CR500 steelie, reweld it at the same angle as the RM... .done.
You jig it up Bob, figure out how to get it as slim as the RM and I want those big standard forks too. Figure out how much work that would be and what kind of odds it would turn out to be something worth a shit? I'll be the first to admit it wasn't the best choice, but shit I had all the parts. I had been wanting to do it for years and in the whole scope of the projects that I normally do it was very small. I had a good time doing it, it turned out well and I learned somethings getting it done. Probably have a few more things to learn getting a aluminum air box in it. Even if the bling kings don't like it I'm pretty happy.
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

I say 2 thumbs up for doing something outside the box :D
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
Ported&Polished

This is the A/F's only forum, to me that bike isn't an A/F. Shouldn't it be in the off topic section? :lol:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

Ported&Polished wrote:This is the A/F's only forum, to me that bike isn't an A/F. Shouldn't it be in the off topic section? :lol:
This topic seemed to live a happy life here http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/view ... 79c08638de
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

quantum500 wrote: I had a good time doing it,and I learned somethings getting it done.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh................ Thats the meaning of life right there.....

:wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Ported&Polished wrote:This is the A/F's only forum, to me that bike isn't an A/F. Shouldn't it be in the off topic section? :lol:
A/SF
Ported&Polished

I'm just busting his balls because he posted it in the off topic section on the other board. :lol: Kinda curious why he felt safe to post here but not there. :lol: Either way I'm over it, just felt like being a dick today and having a laugh at someone elses expense. Where is SOF when you need a whipping boy?
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
4Z

Post by 4Z »

geezus fellas.........

big thumbs up for your mod!!!!
quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

Did a real shake down run on it tonight performed flawlessly. I need to adjust the rear brake maybe even put little air in it, its awfully touchy, and I need to do some suspension work. I felt like a wookie on a minnie bike. Part of its getting acclimated part of it is bad setup. I'm pretty particular about setup looks is a whole other subject. Next project gen2 CR500AF. Just got a fresh motor from haulinarse. Looks to be close to immaculate.
So kudos to haulinarse for being a stand up hoon. One thing I'm really surprised with the RM is the lack of vibration. It has solid mounted handle bars and vibs are less than a steely through the bars and at the pegs. I'm very happy with that. I'm stoked on the motor too. It is very ridable and has major cajones. Tried a roughed up hill climb and the first run I almost looped out and had to let off. Letting off the throttle equals not making it. Second run I was ready and made it with not problem. Here is a pic for the bling kings fresh wash no graphics. Next time you see it, it will not be yellow.

atank

Post by atank »

Looks good, now take it to the Suzuki shop and tell them you want an oil change.......think they will notice?
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Get them to check the power valve
Ported&Polished

ou812 wrote:Get them to check the power valve
Hehehehehehe! :lol:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

A little update. I've done a ton to it and thought I needed to update whats going on. Had a great ride today on it. Handles unbelievably well. Hooks up and turns better than anything I have ridden. My next project is to revalve and respring.

racein01

Post by racein01 »

well done mate...top job ...great to see a bit of something different .... I actually liked it better in the first pic.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

i would have left it yellow. dont see too may rm500's, and even less conversions.

speaking of the RM500's, i saw one in the local craigslist a few weeks ago
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

My favorite part about this build is that you can tell that bike is getting ridden! good for you! roost on hoon.