Air box issues

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
quantum500

Air box issues

Post by quantum500 »

I'm having serious difficulty getting a satisfactory air box into my project. CR500 into 97 RM250 chassis. The stock airbox is complete dog shit. The air boot does not even bolt in. It slip fits!! The stock air boot is so far off I'm not even tempted. So the best solution that I have came up with is to cut the honda airbox in half and connect it with the suzuki box. My problem is how the suzuki air box is shaped. It is not flat on the front. Makes attaching anything air tight kind of challenging. Any ideas??

ellett

Re: Air box issues

Post by ellett »

quantum500 wrote:Any ideas?
Last resort, maybe.

quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

I really don't like that idea just because I don't want to be loser when it comes to crossing water. Those filters won't do squat in the middle of deep water. If I can keep the air box sort of in tact I would be much happier.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Fold a aluminum box to put the Uni-Filter into
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I say you make a little plate that the airboot will fit into with the filter on the otherend, then bund the plate around that air box and rivet it into place. kinda like what bob did for his gen-4 box, but with some heat to mold it.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Couldn't you do something like the pic below and then use a pre-2002 steel airbox base (the piece the filter sits on), etc?

If my memory serves me correctly, that was 3mm aluminum stock.

ou812

Post by ou812 »

contact S.O.F. he has some very Hi tech solutions :shock:
jfckelly

Post by jfckelly »

Bob's idea, is a sound one. I just bought a snowmobile with a bad reputation for sucking belt dust, and fibers into the engine via, a crappy air box design. Many owners, my self included, have gutted the baffles out of the air box, and put the uni filters in. They work really well, as they are very flexible. I would think a guy could Afro-engineer some sort of air box, and run the unis with good results.

Cheers
R.D.
dezertryno

Post by dezertryno »

I'm with Danny and G3. Make a .060 alum plate for the boot to mount to, and rivet the plate to the original airbox, with fender washers on the opposing side so the rivets can't pull through. I chose .060 because it was what I used for panels on my first sandrail, and it's easy to shape.

Using the UNI with all the garage engineering on this site would be like the supporting the Mexican Navy. Cardboard doesn't float.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I used lexan sheet from home depot at 1/8". it was like $8 for a 1x2 sheet that I am using for both gen-4 boxes and if you heat it, you could form it to contour around that weird airbox. I scuffed mine with some #400, then rattle canned it low gloss black and it matches up just fine :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
quantum500

Post by quantum500 »

I'm think I'm going with Bob's idea except I'm gonna make it so the stock 500 air boot and filter fit. I've got it rigged up right now so it will work and not leak any dirt. Its not a permanent fix though. Need some tires chain and sprocket and I'm doing some shake down runs. Should get everything together tonight. Started it this after noon and it sounds pretty potent. 87' ice racing motor. Hadn't ever started it and I had it for 3 years. Has a fresh top end with some porting work new clutch and basket and a moose fly wheel. I'm running the stock PJ but I have PWK AS off the RM that is eventually going in its place. Should be a pretty bitchen bike. Its pretty ugly right now but beauty is only skin deep?
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

some people care more about the way their shit "looks" then the way it actually ''rides''...good to hear you ain't one of them... :cool: