I want to make my street legal 04 crf450r a cr500r. Help

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
mikeinsanfran

I want to make my street legal 04 crf450r a cr500r. Help

Post by mikeinsanfran »

The only thing cooler than a street legal crf540r is a street legal cr500af. I just want to find out what the conversion process entails. I have a ton of questions too. If you can answer any of them, or you live in the San Francisco Bay area and can help, please write me back.

1) Am I better off trying to locate just a good motor and trans with electricals, or should I be looking for an entire donor bike instead?

2) What are the differences in the 500 motors by year? What should I be looking for?

3) Does anyone sell a kit to avoid all of the fab work?

4) Is there anyone that I can have do the conversion for me? What would it cost?

5) How difficult is my particular bike to convert?

6) What generation is the 04crf?

7) I know this is a dumb one, but what kind of gas mileage do you guys get out of your bikes. I am curious about what my range will be with a 4 gallon tank.
Thanks a lot. Any help will be appreciated.
britincali

Post by britincali »

You are gonna get TONS of help here, you have come to the right place my friend :D
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Look around at the builds and your questions will be answered and as far as engine years go.......get the newest you can find whether it is in an existing 500 or not.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
aloha450x

Post by aloha450x »

yeah boooooooooy another cr500 supermoto. im having my 05 crf450x frame converted right now. pimp shit. glad to have ya aboard. these guys here are the bomb and have crazy knowledge about the 5hundy and conversions.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Hey Mike! Welcome!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

teemtrubble wrote:Hey Mike! Welcome!
Teemtroubble is the man you want to talk to on building your AF
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Hmmm.... before you get into all that, The DMV didn't send a recall notice for the street legal plate?

Some years were grandfathered but I don't thing 04 was one of them.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
Caseys500

Post by Caseys500 »

What if you went to all the trouble of getting the 450 legalized...then did the conversion? Would that work? I might be moving to Cali and I will leave my bike registered in Idaho when I move there for school. If I get in that is!
Say hallo to my little friend, Mr. CR 500.
mikeinsanfran

Post by mikeinsanfran »

No, no recall notice on the plate. I paid a guy to do it. It was expensive, but it beats the fuck out of riding a drz. I have looked around the site and have gotten a much clearer idea of what the whole process entails. I think that the best thing for me to do is going to be to find a clean enough cr500 and just hire someone to it. If that someone is you then send me a message. I need a street legal 2stroke. All of these yuppie creeps around here ride these 16,000 dollar ducati hyper-motards on the street here and I cant wait to smoke one of them.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: I want to make my street legal 04 crf450r a cr500r. Hel

Post by AlisoBob »

mikeinsanfran wrote: 1) Am I better off trying to locate just a good motor and trans with electricals, or should I be looking for an entire donor bike instead?

Loose motors sell for 65% of a whole bike. When buying a whole bike you can really test out the motor first, and sell what you dont need...recouping some of your $$$.. Its the only way to go. A 1994 should be about $1700 or so.

2) What are the differences in the 500 motors by year? What should I be looking for?

90' and newer have a better clutch

No, but there are many home conversions. Do you have any fab skills?

4) Is there anyone that I can have do the conversion for me? What would it cost?

Teem Trubble. Mike cant spell for shit, but builds a hell of a good bike. Blows Service honda away..

Not hard, but it is time consuming if you want a professional looking product

Gen 4

7) I know this is a dumb one, but what kind of gas mileage do you guys get out of your bikes. I am curious about what my range will be with a 4 gallon tank.

( 4 x 30 mpg = roughly 120 miles) This is riding it like a Johnny Law is on your 6. Riding like you stole it will lower the mileage.
mikeinsanfran

Post by mikeinsanfran »

Thank you much Bob. This site is awesome.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

You better be careful Bob I'll tell the Clan I won't cook for them cause your picking on me :wink:

Oh and Jay the next meal is Prime Rib and Lobster!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
mikeinsanfran

Hit me back trubble

Post by mikeinsanfran »

Hey trubble, give me a ring man, 415 235 8154, my name is mike too(my mom didn't like me either). A little bird told me that you were the man to help me out on the fab work. I saw the bike that you did too, so I really don't give a shite if you can spell. Just a guy who needs a hand, and what I lack in alum fabrication skills I recoup in pizza and beer buying.
Slow old Fart

Re: I want to make my street legal 04 crf450r a cr500r. Hel

Post by Slow old Fart »

mikeinsanfran wrote:The only thing cooler than a street legal crf540r is a street legal cr500af. I just want to find out what the conversion process entails. I have a ton of questions too. If you can answer any of them, or you live in the San Francisco Bay area and can help, please write me back.

1) Am I better off trying to locate just a good motor and trans with electricals, or should I be looking for an entire donor bike instead?

Thanks a lot. Any help will be appreciated.