Bike's done but won't start Suggestions?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
HrcRacing

Bike's done but won't start Suggestions?

Post by HrcRacing »

I got my bike done tonight but it's not getting any spark. I checked the plug gap, changed the plug, checked the ground, tried another CDI (new) and still no spark. The engine is new so the stator should be good.

I only have access to a coil from a '98 CR250, do you think that would work to confirm if the coil is bad?

Any suggestions on other things to check?

Thank you. :cool:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Unplug the kill switch.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

I just tried it Bob but still no spark. :( Any other suggestions?

Thank you.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Check all wiring and I mean ALL connectors, the chances are its something stupid but you need to start from the magneto and check (unplug and replug) every connector.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

britincali wrote:Check all wiring and I mean ALL connectors, the chances are its something stupid but you need to start from the magneto and check (unplug and replug) every connector.
I agree, it's gotta' be something stupid like that. I mean, everything on this friggin' thing is either new or like-new.

To top things off tonight, I accidentally hit the release on the FMF stand the bike was on with my foot and couldn't catch the bike in time. Put a small dent in the pipe, bent the brake lever and somehow managed to brake the clutch cable at the end by the perch.

I'm so pissed off right now I could piss fire! :cussing:

Thanks for the help guys! :cool:
Joshwfl

Post by Joshwfl »

How about unscrewing the plug cap and cutting 1/2" off the coil wire?
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

what was done to the bike?? if ya painted it did you sand off where the coil mounts to the frame??
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

The bike is an AF so no painting. I checked and re-checked all the connectors, cut off 1/2" from the coil wire and still nothing.

I'm turning the lights out in the garage just in case it's a weak spark but there's nothing. :(
britincali

Post by britincali »

is it a known good magneto?

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

I bought the engine new so I "guess" it's good. The only things I can think of now are ground or coil. I've loosened/tightened the ground several times and I can't recall ever having a coil go out so I'm a bit lost at the moment. :?

I did go ahead and pull the stator/magnetto out to make sure a wire wasn't cut, etc, and it all looks fine.

Thanks. :D
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

I've been trying to call you are you still up?
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

I bet it is because you did not post any pics of your build :lol:
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

eyesky2002 wrote:I bet it is because you did not post any pics of your build :lol:
That must be it. :wink: :D

I called it a day after that last post Mike.

Thanks! :cool:
Caseys500

Post by Caseys500 »

unless you have heart problems...grab onto the plug and kick it over (lightly at first)...that will tell you for sure if you have some spark... :)
Say hallo to my little friend, Mr. CR 500.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

You should never kick the bike over without have a "path to ground" for the spark.

Doing so can mess up the system, as the high voltage spark is trying to go somewhere, if there is no gap to jump at the plug.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

AlisoBob wrote:You should never kick the bike over without have a "path to ground" for the spark.

Doing so can mess up the system, as the high voltage spark is trying to go somewhere, if there is no gap to jump at the plug.
X2
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

The sparkplug wire going in to the coil was a little loose so I tightened that, no spark. I took a jumper and made sure that the coil/CDI was grounded, no spark. Checked all the connections again, nothing.

I checked the stator again for any clipped wires, etc, it all looks great. One good thing is that I can smell gas while I'm kicking it over so I know that part should be good.

I'm grounding the plug against the head and then giving it a quick push trough by hand, that is the right technique, isn't it? :? It's been a while since I've had a bike that wouldn't start.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

bust out the manual and check the resistance on the stator coil and ignition coil. I'd tell you what the resistance is supposed to be, but I've got an '86 ign, so mine has 2 stator coils.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
britincali

Post by britincali »

CR500R-G3 wrote:
I'm grounding the plug against the head and then giving it a quick push trough by hand, that is the right technique, isn't it? :? It's been a while since I've had a bike that wouldn't start.

I dont know if doing it by hand its gonna spint it fast enough to saprk, get a new plug and have someone else next to the the bike verify spark while you kick it.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Try some of Brits favorite " Huff- Juice".....
Last edited by AlisoBob on February 27th, 2008, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Ok, cool, I'm taking the bike over my buddy's tomorrow so I'll get him to check for spark while I kick it over.

Thank you! :cool:
pimp559

Post by pimp559 »

britincali wrote:
CR500R-G3 wrote:

I dont know if doing it by hand its gonna spint it fast enough to saprk, get a new plug and have someone else next to the the bike verify spark while you kick it.
I second what Brit said. This happenend to me on my last Af build and I figured out I just wasn't spinning the motor enough to make power. You also might have your throttle cable not just right and that's what's causing you to smell gas and it not start. Last time I went to Jawbone I installed a new cable the first morning I was there and it would not start. I even got pulled around by a half ton and still nothing. I finally figured out that the new cable wasn't ceated all the way and the slide was hung open just enough for it to flood out. Keep us posted.
Member #1 Obama haters club (join below)
http://www.bannedcr500riders.com/board/ ... highlight=

If it ain't a CR500, your not worthy!!!
Friends don't let friends ride steelies!

Parenthood is a controlled state of insanity!!!!
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

pimp559 wrote:
britincali wrote:
CR500R-G3 wrote:

I second what Brit said. This happenend to me on my last Af build and I figured out I just wasn't spinning the motor enough to make power. You also might have your throttle cable not just right and that's what's causing you to smell gas and it not start. Last time I went to Jawbone I installed a new cable the first morning I was there and it would not start. I even got pulled around by a half ton and still nothing. I finally figured out that the new cable wasn't ceated all the way and the slide was hung open just enough for it to flood out. Keep us posted.
Yeah, Brit was definitely right. I had my wife check for spark while I kicked it over and she said it was sparking. She said it looked weak but I'll have my buddy look tomorrow to make sure.

Thanks. :cool:
britincali

Post by britincali »

I have yet to see a CR with a spark that din't look weak, they definatly aint 'big fat blue' ignitions.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Mines pretty good, not great..... but good.