Another Big Bore Guy

A quick "How ya'Do", and a photo would be nice.
Twist&SHOUT

Another Big Bore Guy

Post by Twist&SHOUT »

Well my wife says I'm a big bore! :D

Been riding for a little over 4 years after a 25 year layoff. Rode as a kid and loved it and figured I'd get back in again.

The bikes obviously are SSOOooo much better now. I started back up with a 250 KTM and went riding with a few chums with CR500s and knew right then and there I'd have one. I think it was the sound of it that hooked me. Nothing sounds better then a CR500!! :cool:

I finally rode one and found I wasn't the least bet scared of all that power in fact to me it was easier to ride then my 250.

I found a cherry 2003 Service Honda two years ago and had a devil of a time setting it up. So much so I was going to sell it and buy a new one. I finally came to terms (suspension and stalling) with it and even more so once I put in a Rekluse. I can't imagine being on anything else now. :cool:

I've been riding a local Hare Scramble/Qualifier series and have had some success using the 500 in the 40+A class. So those that say it has too much power to be raced competitively or even trail ridden really have know idea. There is NO other bike I'd rather be on.

The 500 isn't without some weakness (if that word can be used in the same sentence as a 500), it has a tall first gear which is cured with a Rekluse, and it will overheat quicker than some other bikes. I'm working on that issue as we speak.

Anyway glad there is one more site dedicated to the greatest bike ever produced. :cool:
Last edited by Twist&SHOUT on December 28th, 2007, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Hello and welcome! :clink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I've ridden with Bob, he's a great guy, and the real deal.

Tell us what you done on the overheating front, and what issues you have left...
Steiner 311

Post by Steiner 311 »

AlisoBob wrote:I've ridden with Bob, he's a great guy, and the real deal.

Tell us what you done on the overheating front, and what issues you have left...
I can picture you sitting in a big chair with a clipboard asking these questions, oh yea, and glasses holding on to the tip of your nose! LOL...

Welcome to the board man!

Jas......................................................................................................
"Practice does NOT make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect!"
britincali

Post by britincali »

Welcome :D
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
ou812

Post by ou812 »

Welcome
Twist&SHOUT

Post by Twist&SHOUT »

AlisoBob wrote:I've ridden with Bob, he's a great guy, and the real deal.

Kind works thanks and right back atchya!! :cool:

I fabbed up my own rad guards thinking the Devols I was using was blocking air flow.

My guards worked great for air flow but didn't guard very well :D I'm back to the Devols and I'm checking into the Moose guards since you can use the stock louvers which I'm of the opinion that they channel the air in better then anything else...at least for now I think that. :D

Also still thinking about a fan or trying the Evans coolant.

The best way not to overheat is just keep moving so it's incentive for me to be as fast as I can!!! :D
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Welcome aboard!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Twist&SHOUT wrote:[

Also still thinking about a fan or trying the Evans coolant.
"Overheating" and "Boiling Over" are two entirley different conditions.

Evans will stop the "Boiling Over" to be sure, but the engine may still overheat....

..to be continured in the Tech forum...
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Truth be known its was just the typical stuff that most 500 riders have gone through. Glad the learning curve is over aren't ya. :lol:

Welcome man.
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Welcome
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!