Radiator repair on Gen 1...

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Coasty

Radiator repair on Gen 1...

Post by Coasty »

I was riding all day through mud, slop, high speed and low speed stuff. I'm 1/4 mile away from the truck screwin off and clipped a tree and laid the bike down on the only rock within 20 feet and now my radiator is leaking. I've found the leak and it's at the bottom of the outer tube that runs from the top part of the radiator to the lower part. It's not a huge leak but it was big enough to dump all my antifreeze and make me push that cantankerous mule all the way back to the truck.

Last time I took a radiator to a regular repair shop, the guy handed me back a melted mess so, wanting to avoid that, what's the best way/technique to repair one of these costly gems? I have brazed plumbing hardware before and I've solderd miles of wire but I'm not sure if any of these skills are gonna help me with this. Oh yeah, I'm also and expert mason with JB Weld but I'm not sure if it's the ticket for this.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Patrick
1997 CR500AF
2004 KX100
2006 CRF100
2003 XR50
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

There is a radiator shop in utah that is really good and for some reason the name mylers pops into my head.. Ill see if i can find out if thats the proper name of the shop..
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
britincali

Post by britincali »

JB weld will work for a temp fix, long term I would take it to someone competant with a TIG welder.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

The last radiator I had fixed by a rad shop blew up TWICE before I just JB welded it.
Make sure it is cleaned with some brake cleaner before hand, and rough everything up with some emery cloth or sandpaper.
Lots of thin coats with drying time and a heat lamp is better than one big glob.

Mine has been holding for a year now.
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

do not use JB Weld. For a proper, permenant fix that you can do yourself, please check out this site:

http://www.muggyweld.com/index2.html

This stuff is the real deal and works on tons of stuff, including filling in guages, pits and deep scratches on those pesky beer can frames! :wink:
CR500AC widget maker
mxracr121

Post by mxracr121 »

Yup, Mylers. They are the real deal.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

agreed...Mylers does a great job, particularly if the rad is bent. If it's just a pin hole or a small tear, the Muggy weld works awesome due to the capillary action that you cannot get with JB Weld, plus it is aluminum filler on an aluminum part. In fact, it is likely what a radiator shop is going to use to plug-fill the hole...especially when TIG is a poor option. That was the point I was trying to make.
CR500AC widget maker
Coasty

Post by Coasty »

Mine has a small pinhole that wouldn't be too hard to repair, I just want to use the best stuff for the job. I've had great experience with JB Weld but it seems the Muggy Weld products are designed specifically for aluminum. I looked at the link Shaman posted and my only question is which product to buy?

Super Alloy 1 seems like the best choice since it's a low temp (350*) solder.

Super Alloy 5 has may do a better job but I'm sure it's harder to work with since it's melting point is much higher at 600*.

So which one should I go with?
1997 CR500AF
2004 KX100
2006 CRF100
2003 XR50
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Numero uno...