More cooling after engine mods

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
RedtillIdie

More cooling after engine mods

Post by RedtillIdie »

Hey guys,

I am getting my 1991 CR500 bored out to a 91mm with a wiseco piston as well as decking the head and port and polish. I was wondering what you guys would recommend as far as cooling the bike more. I ride in tight woods usually and it has been around 95-107 degrees here lately and I've overheated the bike a few times even without these up coming mods. I am running the Gnarly pipe and silencer and running engine ice in it. Do you guys just think it might not be jetted right, the bike runs great and is snappy it just overheats sometimes.

Any recommendations would be great on what to do to increase cooling.

The mods I plan on doing in the next month are -
- Bored to 91mm
- Decked Head
- Boyesen Rad Valve
- Port and Polish

What else would you guys recommend doing to it? Airstriker carb? Cool Head? CR250 ignition? What is the whole scoop on changing over to that? My gearing is 14/48

Thanks
Bryan
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The only way to cool it better, is to ride faster....

You can increase boil over protection by doing a few things...

1. Soak rads in CLR over the weekend, and re-install.

2. Add a KX500 radiator cap. Its increased pressure will raise coolant boiling point.

3. Dont run too much coolant!! 75% water, 25% coolant works best.

4. Add some kind of coolant recovery set-up

5. If all else fails, ride faster.

Some of those chinese aftermarket rads look bigger, and may offer increased cooling...
johnnytheswede

Post by johnnytheswede »

Just a thought: Has anyone tried to fit cooling fan on one ofthe radiators, just like KTM has? Wouldn't that be good for you guys who lives in those warm areas?

Johnny
RedtillIdie

Post by RedtillIdie »

AlisoBob wrote:The only way to cool it better, is to ride faster....

You can increase boil over protection by doing a few things...

1. Soak rads in CLR over the weekend, and re-install.

2. Add a KX500 radiator cap. Its increased pressure will raise coolant boiling point.

3. Dont run too much coolant!! 75% water, 25% coolant works best.

4. Add some kind of coolant recovery set-up

5. If all else fails, ride faster.

Some of those chinese aftermarket rads look bigger, and may offer increased cooling...
very true, what do you think of the list of mods that I will be doing? Would the Airstriker carb and cool head really make that much difference considering the price of the two?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Dont run too much coolant!! 75% water, 25% coolant works best.

that will run the coolest, but in the slow trails i suspect the weak link is the radiators ability to transfer heat to the air.... so you want 60 antifreeze/ 40 water, it will run hotter but it wont boil quite as fast

2.0 bar CV4 cap makes a big diffrence, but your hoses better be in good shape

engine ice boils easier than EGW, but it stops boiling quicker once it is boiling

bobs nailed it with the ride faster comment, my bike runs hot, and without the fans i am either the last one to boil, or the only one that dosent boil

ktm fan takes a ton of power and dosent move much air (for how much power it takes) its also heavy
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

ANY mod should be the answer to a question....

"The mods I plan on doing in the next month are -
- Bored to 91mm
- Decked Head
- Boyesen Rad Valve
- Port and Polish"

Why are you boring it?

What do you think your going to get out of a shaved head?

Why do you think you need a Rad Valve?

Same for the port work.....

If the answer to any of these questions is "I want to ride faster, for longer periods"...... Join a Gym.

(No, I'm not kidding.)

Conditioning and Boingers do more than EVERY other mod put together, times 10.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

seat time, conditioning and Boingers do more than EVERY other mod put together, times 10.
just finished the first day of the CEC enduro, 100 miles 6 hours , and got to do it all over again tomorrow (but on a blown out course)

a revalve and better endurance would put me on the podium.... i like my porting, but its not changing race results
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
RedtillIdie

Post by RedtillIdie »

AlisoBob wrote:ANY mod should be the answer to a question....

"The mods I plan on doing in the next month are -
- Bored to 91mm
- Decked Head
- Boyesen Rad Valve
- Port and Polish"

Why are you boring it?

What do you think your going to get out of a shaved head?

Why do you think you need a Rad Valve?

Same for the port work.....

If the answer to any of these questions is "I want to ride faster, for longer periods"...... Join a Gym.

(No, I'm not kidding.)

Conditioning and Boingers do more than EVERY other mod put together, times 10.
In short I want more power. I will occasionally be taking it to the drag strip and riding it on more open trails as well as very sandy open areas in Louisiana. I do not seem to have a problem with endurance at this time however it always helps to train. I am trying to get as much power as I can get from it.
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Sorry guys! You can call me a wuss. I want my 500 to be slower. The smoother and slower it is, the faster I can ride it and longer. A 500 only gets so slow though.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

cmotodad wrote:Sorry guys! You can call me a wuss. I want my 500 to be slower. The smoother and slower it is, the faster I can ride it and longer.
:whoop:

:wink:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

RedtillIdie wrote:
In short I want more power...
RedtillIdie wrote:I ride in tight woods usually and I've overheated the bike a few times even without these up coming mods.

Learn to ride better.... till' it doesnt overheat. Then ( if you still think you need it) add the power.
RedtillIdie

Post by RedtillIdie »

AlisoBob wrote:
RedtillIdie wrote:
In short I want more power...
RedtillIdie wrote:I ride in tight woods usually and I've overheated the bike a few times even without these up coming mods.

Learn to ride better.... till' it doesnt overheat. Then ( if you still think you need it) add the power.[/quote

I have no problem riding fast, That is not the problem. I sometimes ride with guys that have smaller bikes and if I try to ride at their pace then thats when the bike overheats. It never overheats when im riding with faster riders or riding by myself. Learning to ride is not the issue.
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

Either let the slow guys ride ahead or go first ride 20 minutes, take a 20 minute break, otherwise, like bob mentioned, bigger rads and over flow tank to take care of the hot sections.
Gen 2 AF, yes it's a SH, so I can call it an AF Damm it!
RedtillIdie

Post by RedtillIdie »

Kuma wrote:Either let the slow guys ride ahead or go first ride 20 minutes, take a 20 minute break, otherwise, like bob mentioned, bigger rads and over flow tank to take care of the hot sections.
Thank you kuma, I will most likely be doing that, the only problem is that most places I go with my slower riding buddies are places that they've never been to so they tend to get lost if I am not right there even though I try to dig a trench everywhere I turn off. I appreciate your help.