WTB Z-start pro Rekluse

Come on in, No registration needed.... Thinkin' about stepping up to the ultimate dirtbike? Ask any questions you need answered.

ALSO: Post anything your looking for, or that is taking up space and you want to get ride of.. ALL TRANSACTIONS ARE BETWEEN THE BUYER / SELLER!
other

WTB Z-start pro Rekluse

Post by other »

Hi all,
Just so it's out there, if anyone wants to move on a Rekluse for a '90 CR500, I'm looking for one. Model no for the correct wedges/spring weights etc is RMS-817.
I'm expecting to get deluged with hundreds of offers on this one ! ! :shock: :roll:
freeride588

Re: WTB Z-start pro Rekluse

Post by freeride588 »

other wrote: I'm expecting to get deluged with hundreds of offers on this one ! ! :shock: :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kevin
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

When you get one get some extra TC balls, they are the heavy ones. I hated mine until I went up to 12. The snow bike will run even more, 15 or 18. Now I won't ride a CR5 without it, unless I want to work harder, go slower and have less fun :roll:

I have an extra pro with almost no time on it that I've been sitting on for a while. I'm trying to find some time to build my woods bike. Too many bills to pay for much play lately. If I decide to let it go I'll get with you if you are still looking.
other

Post by other »

@seanmx57, Thanx man, I definately need one mate ! Don't want to sway ya one way or the other, but I am prepared to beg . . . .
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

seanmx57 wrote:When you get one get some extra TC balls, they are the heavy ones. I hated mine until I went up to 12. The snow bike will run even more, 15 or 18. Now I won't ride a CR5 without it, unless I want to work harder, go slower and have less fun :roll:

I have an extra pro with almost no time on it that I've been sitting on for a while. I'm trying to find some time to build my woods bike. Too many bills to pay for much play lately. If I decide to let it go I'll get with you if you are still looking.
Come on 2stokes it's an open invitation
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

yup he'll be bad mouthing them in short order even though he's never ridden a CR5 with one.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

Ive never ridden anything with one, but would love to try, just to try it!

In my mind it'll be like riding with a clutch that is just slightly starting to slip. I rode the second day of a two day endure with a weak clutch on my 250... Since it would slip when revved I didn't have to touch the lever and found it made me less tired... The clutch held together despite this abuse for the whole day too!
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

gregrobo wrote:
seanmx57 wrote:When you get one get some extra TC balls, they are the heavy ones. I hated mine until I went up to 12. The snow bike will run even more, 15 or 18. Now I won't ride a CR5 without it, unless I want to work harder, go slower and have less fun :roll:

Come on 2stokes it's an open invitation
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was waiting for the dumb arse comment as well
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
other

Post by other »

Gravel Scratcher, didn't you got the last one I tried for ? How do you like it ? I'm worried that after 40 years riding conventionally clutched dirt bikes, I may not be able to adapt to it ? Also, as I have quite a few dirt bikes, and the CR500 will be the only one with a Rekluse, I'm concerned about swapping between bikes being a problem. Are they easy to get used to ? Is it going to fuck up the enjoyment of all the others ? What's the general consensus of opinion ?
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

problem is outfitting a fleet of bikes with auto clutches is expensive.

You can swap back and forth. You can still clutch the pro like a regular clutch, Bump starting and the bike wanting to roll when the motor is off are the main bitches folks have. Both of witch are generally created by rider error which is lessened quite a bit with the auto.

The worst that could happen is you don't wanna ride the other bikes as much anymore. How bad could that be if your CR5 is in good order?
Gravel Scratcher

Yep i like it, its just a different way of riding. Putting a rekluse on a bike that is used in wide open areas / desert style country is IMO a bit of a waste. I believe it comes into its own in single track and bush trails especially when you start to become a tired. Parts wise there unique to more conventional clutches but you can easily get parts (Suttos in Penrith are the Aussie distributor or of course buy it online direct if you need)
I'm just about to take the rekluse out of the steely for the above reasons and put it in a spare motor, no its not for sale :) . Roosty looks to have a good conventional clutch set up using cr250 parts that i'm getting together slowly for the desert bike (steely)
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

other wrote:Gravel Scratcher, didn't you got the last one I tried for ? How do you like it ? I'm worried that after 40 years riding conventionally clutched dirt bikes, I may not be able to adapt to it ? Also, as I have quite a few dirt bikes, and the CR500 will be the only one with a Rekluse, I'm concerned about swapping between bikes being a problem. Are they easy to get used to ? Is it going to fuck up the enjoyment of all the others ? What's the general consensus of opinion ?
From a singletracker's point of view:

My father is in a similar boat. Being 63, he's concerned about injury as it takes a looong time to heal. It kinda cuts into his activities. He had been riding his 93 WR500 up until last year when he picked up a 300EXC. It now has a Rekluse. He was concerned about being able to adapt after having ridden since the 60's. He couldn't be happier. Neither could I. He has a dual sport KLX300 as well without the autoclutch. He switches back and forth regularly. It's not like you'll forget how to ride with a conventional.

My major beef with autocrutch's is that they tend to let lesser riders get away with things they really shouldn't be able to. They then tend to get an overinflated sense of confidence in their riding ability and when they find themselves in a situation that requires actual skills, they're without those skills and the people they are with suffer for it. This is not theory or speculation, I have witnessed it on several occasions. I no longer ride with those people, or if I do, it's not through the tough stuff.

I would say, if you've been riding for 40 years, do it. You'll have a brief period of adjustment, but it will likely be worth it to you.

Me, I've been riding for 36 of my 42 years. I'm not quite ready for one. I've spent a few hours on a couple bikes with them. Not my cup of tea.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MojoScojo wrote:My father is in a similar boat. Being 63, had been riding his 93 WR500 up until last year .
Thats so bad ass......

other

Post by other »

Me, I've been riding for 36 of my 42 years. I'm not quite ready for one. I've spent a few hours on a couple bikes with them. Not my cup of tea.[/quote]

Jeez, makes it sound like the offroader's version of adult diapers and a walking-frame ! ! Should I be insulted ? The main reason I wanted to try one was that almost all my bikes now are 1 finger operated hydraulic clutches, and with the rocky single track we ride mostly, that's virtually a necessity ! With the best will in the world, (and yes, with a Magura Hydraulic conversion), the CR will never have a 1 finger clutch. This means that it is left in the shed when we're single tracking, and will only ever come out for playing in the dunes or desert. I simply wanted to make it more versatile for this old codger to ride more often . . . . . and sadly, the truth is it's more like 43 out of my 51 years . . . . sigh.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

I did not mean it to be an insult. It is simply not my thing. I don't like the loss of fine control on the very bottom. When I get into the situation my dad is in where I don't take the risky trails for fear of getting injured, I may get one. Likely not until then.

My point was simply this: I don't believe in autoclutch's for beginner or rookie riders. Too many pertinent skills get bypassed by running one. You'll be fine. You may like it. I don't. I'm not going to ridicule anyone for choosing to run one if they have the skills to make that decision.

The Magura is not one finger'ish enough? Mine is pretty easy. Not one finger easy, but easy enough that hand fatigue is not an issue. I'm not gonna say I ride the nastiest of the nasty, but I certainly know what it's like to spend all day on the clutch. Thing is, that's what I loved about the 500. I could adapt my riding style to bog the snot out of it and stay OFF the clutch and keep driving forward. That actually improved the HELL out of my riding ability. My son is learning that now.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

MojoScojo wrote:... Not my cup of tea.
:33

:lol:
you just don't hear that phrase anymore
other

Post by other »

MojoScojo wrote:I did not mean it to be an insult. It is simply not my thing. I don't like the loss of fine control on the very bottom. When I get into the situation my dad is in where I don't take the risky trails for fear of getting injured, I may get one. Likely not until then.

My point was simply this: I don't believe in autoclutch's for beginner or rookie riders. Too many pertinent skills get bypassed by running one. You'll be fine. You may like it. I don't. I'm not going to ridicule anyone for choosing to run one if they have the skills to make that decision.

The Magura is not one finger'ish enough? Mine is pretty easy. Not one finger easy, but easy enough that hand fatigue is not an issue. I'm not gonna say I ride the nastiest of the nasty, but I certainly know what it's like to spend all day on the clutch. Thing is, that's what I loved about the 500. I could adapt my riding style to bog the snot out of it and stay OFF the clutch and keep driving forward. That actually improved the HELL out of my riding ability. My son is learning that now.
Hey Mojo, I wasn't being all that serious with the "diapers and walking frame" type comments, just havin' a laugh (mostly at my own expense for being soft enough to consider this), but I absolutely 100% agree with your comment about learning the skills first, and only then start looking to 'cut corners' for your own comfort. I AM going to give it a try now, but if the general consensus was "once you've had one, you'll keep planting your face if you try to ride a standard bike again" I wouldn't chance it. I still love riding too much to risk it over a 'fad' item like a Rekluse. It's just a fair bit of coin just to experiment, so I was trying to draw on you guys experience. It does seem to be a subject that divides hoons, no-one seems ambivalent about 'em, do they.
Thanks to all for their opinions and input.
Greg
Gravel Scratcher

based on the riding you said you want to do with the 500 i would give the rekluse a go, remember you still have full manual control over the cluth but like Sean said get some extra TC balls. I found it lets me ride for longer in the tight stuff and i agree with Mojo about having good skill before bolting one in, it allows you to make a decision in a situation to suit your personal set up without thinking the clutch will save you.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

My experience is MX based only thus far. Having perfectly smooth and progressive engagement in MX is like a dream come true. I would think set up for nasty off road riding would be even more critical due to the low rpm riding.

I really like being able to bomb into corners waaaay to fast and not have to pull in the clutch. Going at insane speed on corner entrance for me requires more concentration on hitting my line perfectly. Also very nice bringing up the rpm a touch with one finger with no effort if I need some extra pull. Running a gear high and corner exits in this manner are very smooth, less stepping out and blistering fast. Makes it a hard rocking ride not for the tame if you are going balls to the wall.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Auto clutches are for girls :D Just kidding I've never ridden one but I will say that I have never seen one used up for sale....that says to me people who have tried them like them.
O.ne B.ig A.ss M.istake A.merica