another frame question

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
atf8611

another frame question

Post by atf8611 »

so heres my situation. i currently have an 03 cr250 that i want to convert, but i dont have a title. i bought an 03 cr250 frame on ebay, becuase it has a title (supposed to at least). i won the auction last night, and tonight the seller sends me a message saying that he had just looked the frame over and noticed a crack. I have no idea where the crack is, and he is supposed to be sending me a picture. depending on where it is, i might still want it.
now to my question: the seller says that he also has a 125 frame (i would assume same year/generation) in perfect shape that i can have if i want. will the components from my 03 250 fit a 125? things like swingarm, shock, forks, airbox, subframe, plastic..... will all that crap work?
no money has been sent yet, and i won the original auction for $100.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

you probably don't want to do the 125, its A LOT more work. If I were you, I'd get pics of the cracks and if they are bad either get your money back or make some sort of arrangement. I have a buddy who was in a similar stuation on a sportbike with am aluminum frame and he got a beat up fram with a clear title and very carefully ground down the old vin and used a # stamp kit from harbor freight and stamped in the good #. of coarse if the crack isn't bad and you could get him to knock a few bucks off, you're gonna have to do some welding anyway...
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

dannygraves wrote:you probably don't want to do the 125, its A LOT more work. If I were you, I'd get pics of the cracks and if they are bad either get your money back or make some sort of arrangement. I have a buddy who was in a similar stuation on a sportbike with am aluminum frame and he got a beat up fram with a clear title and very carefully ground down the old vin and used a # stamp kit from harbor freight and stamped in the good #. of coarse if the crack isn't bad and you could get him to knock a few bucks off, you're gonna have to do some welding anyway...
not that I doubt you, i just want to be clear. the guy is telling me that the frames are the same. you say they are not? are certain parts different, or is it just completly different? i will take your word over his considering you have nothing to gain. thanks!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The frames ARE way different.

You have to replace the entire cradle, nothing is reusable.

The frame is smaller, and the steering angle steeper... so much so that you need to double check that the front tire doesnt bash into the pipe at full travel.

The trade off is that when your done, you have one hell of a handling bike.

I have a CR125 frame, with the cradle cut off.... PM me for more details...
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

AlisoBob wrote:The frames ARE way different.

You have to replace the entire cradle, nothing is reusable.

The frame is smaller, and the steering angle steeper... so much so that you need to double check that the front tire doesnt bash into the pipe at full travel.

The trade off is that when your done, you have one hell of a handling bike.

I have a CR125 frame, with the cradle cut off.... PM me for more details...
last question before the final nail is in the coffin: do the parts from my bike (03 250) work on the 125? its sounding like a no, but just to be sure. if the frame is smaller, im going to assume that the plastics, tank, airbox, seat and all that dont fit. maybe forks and swingarm do?
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

dannygraves wrote:you probably don't want to do the 125, its A LOT more work. If I were you, I'd get pics of the cracks and if they are bad either get your money back or make some sort of arrangement. I have a buddy who was in a similar stuation on a sportbike with am aluminum frame and he got a beat up fram with a clear title and very carefully ground down the old vin and used a # stamp kit from harbor freight and stamped in the good #. of coarse if the crack isn't bad and you could get him to knock a few bucks off, you're gonna have to do some welding anyway...
where would i buy that number stamp thing? how hard is that to do? thats not the worst idea in the world, considering the guy's 125 frame also has a title.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

you can buy them all over, but I know harbor freight has them for cheep. harborfreight.com
heres an example
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=90125
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

Why not just pass on those and find a titled, uncracked, CR250 frame? Just keep looking on eBay.

Personally, I wouldn't put false VIN numbers on a frame. Maybe that's just me. :roll:
britincali

Post by britincali »

CR500R-G3 wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't put false VIN numbers on a frame. Maybe that's just me. :roll:

+1
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
atf8611

Post by atf8611 »

CR500R-G3 wrote:Why not just pass on those and find a titled, uncracked, CR250 frame? Just keep looking on eBay.

yeah im wondering about the legality of that too. i guess it will just depend on where the one cracked. im really in no special hurry with this project, so im not going to buy anything unless its a really good deal.
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

If it were me, and I wasn't in any particular hurry, that would make me even more picky about what frame I bought. In other words, I wouldn't buy a cracked frame, regardless of where it was cracked. Well, actually, even if I was in a hurry, I wouldn't buy it.

It's easy to get excited about getting a project going and make mistakes. Trust me, I did just that with my donor bike. Bought a POS thinking that the engine would have a lot of usable parts. New cases later, both were cracked and the mounts were shot from the idiot running it with loose mount bolts, and I'm still writing up parts lists for shit I shouldn't have to replace but will.

Just be patient bro. :cool:
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Hmmm...Change the serial number? Then when you go to register it or get a ticket and if they think it has been tampered with they will impound the vehicle IMMEADIATELY!!!!!! Until they figure it out then you have to explain why you put a serial number on a frame... Bad idea. but, that's just my opinion, Oh yeah one more thing before you commit a FELONY DON'T POST IT ON ANY FORUM ON THE INTERNET :shock:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I have seen a proceedure when the CHP can grind off the serial number YOU stamped, apply some kind of solution to the metal the responds to metal density, and see the original serial number with a black light...

Trippy stuff!

I too strongly suggest not to restamp the frame..
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I was just sharing what a friend of mine has done a bunch of times. If you buy a new oem frame it comes w/o any numbers on it and ,I know for a fact yamaha, but maybe honda suggest you stamp the old number in yourself. Of coarse here in Nevada they don't title or register offroad vehicles any more. My friend was doing this with sport bikes to avoid having a savlage title on a recovered stolen bike, or a wrecked bike that was fixed.
Personally, if it were me, I'd hold off for a nice frame... "do it once, do it right"
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80