CR500 Timing

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
CR500PHIL

CR500 Timing

Post by CR500PHIL »

I have never did anything with the timing on the CR500. Are they difficult to time once the stator is changed? If I replace the ingition with a 1996 CR250 one, how difficult is it to get the timing on? Are there any stickies on here about the timing process - I have not found one although my wife says I couldn't track an elephant in four feet of snow. :D
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
Tharrell

Re: CR500 Timing

Post by Tharrell »

CR500PHIL wrote:......although my wife says I couldn't track an elephant in four feet of snow. :D
She's not talking about the little man in the boat is she? :lol:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!
CR500PHIL

Re: CR500 Timing

Post by CR500PHIL »

Tharrell wrote:
CR500PHIL wrote:......although my wife says I couldn't track an elephant in four feet of snow. :D
She's not talking about the little man in the boat is she? :lol:
She probably wishes she was at times. I am suspecting a stator issue with an intermittant weak / non-existant spark issue. I have a new coil / cap on the way. If the coil does not fix the problem, I am thinking it is the stator or pulser coils. I am trying to decide if I should replace the coils on the stock stator (cannot find a good used one) or get a 93-96 CR250 stator and CDI and wire the new coil for it. It would only cost the price of the CDI to go the CR250 route in this case since the stator costs are about the same. I am wondering if the CR250 stator will bolt right on and what kind of problems I may have timing the bike once I have it on. Does anyone have any insight?
Steelie Build Done
Gen 1 CR500 AF Complete - SOLD
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

bolt it on and run the crap out of it
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
cmotodad

Post by cmotodad »

Does anyone know the timing BTDC for a CR500? Thanks