what are the easiest frames to convert to suit a 500 engine?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
mat93

what are the easiest frames to convert to suit a 500 engine?

Post by mat93 »

dunno what else to ask.. thatll about sum it up, ive got no welding experience at all, whats the easiest (looking around i think its the Gen 1 frames. my mate has one of these, now all i gotta do is convince him to run straight petrol thru his engine so hell sell it to me cheap :lol: ) to the hardest?
coley13

Post by coley13 »

i havnt done one myself but studied plenty of builds, Gen 1 250 seems alright. But i'd go out on a limb and say gen 3 250 would be easier of the two. And end up a better bike....

I guess it depends which way you tackle it, Paul Stoffers looks to have the method nailed perfectly on the gen 3
13 isnt unlucky i just keep falling off
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Gen1/2/3 CR250 based conversions are the most straightforward. Personally, I'd skip the G1 and do either a 2, preferably a 3.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

hoofarted wrote:Gen1/2/3 CR250 based conversions are the most straightforward. Personally, I'd skip the G1 and do either a 2, preferably a 3.

X2
especially if you want to ride it............
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

I think the gen 1 is the easiest conversion from what I've researched and the one I'm pursuing (mainly due to budget and availability). I'm an intermediate rider and have ridden many bikes and while one is nicer and might ride better than the rest, the bike is never the limiting factor for me!

Take for instance last weekend. I ride an '07 yz450f, factory edge suspension, some go fast mods, fat rear tire...great bike. A friend recently purchased an '11 yz450f fuel injected bike, brand new. I got to spend some quality time on it and while it was "better" in some sense, it rode worse than my "older" gen 450, at least to me. I'm sure it is a better handling bike but I am just not used to it and consequently I was slower and it beat the shit out of me when I tried to ride it as fast as I wanted. My bike is setup for me and my style, so it's the better handling bike for ME than an out of the box stock setup newer bike.

While I haven't ridden any A/F 500s, my point is that unless you are an advanced rider, I doubt you'll be disappointed with any of the conversions. Good luck!
Gabe

'98/'86 AF Project
'07 YZ450F
mat93

Post by mat93 »

what about 125 frames? are they more work? what are the tradeoffs?
maddog1927

Post by maddog1927 »

if you are doing a gen three go with the 250. I am doing a 125. they are alot more work.