CR250 ignition for the 500 question (pic)

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on October 28th, 2009, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gas is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking,nitro is for racing
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

nice
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob wrote:
britincali wrote::?:

From all that neck snapping power......
brit thats some awesome power you have :lol:

ss1

Post by ss1 »

its hard to tell in the slo-mo version if the 'crack' noise was the fender or her cooch..hahaha..
but you can see her pants get split wide open..hahaha
glen howell

PISTON MARKINGS

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on October 28th, 2009, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gas is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking,nitro is for racing
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

lewisclan you bought Rpetersen AF with glens engine? just curious if it 80hp ? if it is ill shutup :lol:
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

after working on drag cars for years, $3800 for a full race motor seems really really cheap.
i have owned heads that cost more then that.... and thats without valvesprings.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

ya, thats cheap. The titanium valves, locks, and retainers i use in my dirt-track late model engines are $3600us

For pro stock drag racing the hemi heads from Sonny Leonard sell race-ready fully assembled for $14,900!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

MrDude_1 wrote:after working on drag cars for years, $3800 for a full race motor seems really really cheap.
i have owned heads that cost more then that.... and thats without valvesprings.
3800 is good price :roll: ??? you dont get a complete motor ready to drop in for that price. you send him your motor and he does the work, i think you get a couple new parts like piston and pipe but where the rest of the money going ???... to labor charges ????? :roll: . im not hammering on glen intentionaly per say, but i will say this.... i had the FULL FUCKING RACE MOTOR because the reciept he sent me said so...i had HIS supposedly full race cylinder (which by the way looks identical to his "trail port cylinder" but he will say its different :roll: , i had HIS supposedly full race piston with a million holes in it, i had HIS supposedly full race head (which was nearly stock dimentions with a very slight amount shaved off :roll: ), i had HIS supposedly big hp pipe, i had HIS supposedly badass cdi with no revlimiter :roll: , i had HIS supposedly modified stator, i had HIS k&n ram filter that was supposed to be badass :roll:, i had a carb that was polished by HIM that was supposed the be badass, and i removed the stoppers on reed cage cuz he said it would help also. now brit has the cylinder and piston. ill tell you it didnt make no where near 80hp......thats why i got rid of it within a few hours of firing it up and seeing it wasnt what it should have been. END OF STORY

and to top it off, he tried to tell me the cylinder/head jerry hall did for me was a piece of shit... according to his flow bench :roll: :roll: . thats funny becasue the seat of the pants flow bench said other wise :wink:
Last edited by 100hp honda on January 22nd, 2009, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sorry guys i didnt meen to seem like a asshole but its a touchy subject for me. ive kept most the details to myself because it was hard learning lesson and water under the bridge few years ago. sorry for the rant
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

100hp honda wrote:didnt meen to seem like a asshole
Coulda fooled me.
100hp honda wrote: water under the bridge
:bsmeter: "water under the bridge" means that it's something from that past that has been forgiven/forgotten about. You sound far from it.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

fastkart wrote:
100hp honda wrote:didnt meen to seem like a asshole
Coulda fooled me.
must be a dedicated gss follower ? :lol: i can only feel sorry for you and ill leave it at that
fastkart wrote:
100hp honda wrote: water under the bridge
:bsmeter: "water under the bridge" means that it's something from that past that has been forgiven/forgotten about. You sound far from it.
let it be known my incident happened several years ago. have you ever heard my story posted on any forum ?....nope, not until today :wink: . call it what you want :?

anyway, lets look at a few things. "aparently" the FULL RACE setup today, differs from what it was couple years ago :roll: , now it includes 6mm crank, powerjet in 39pwk, and some other nonsense that has nothing to do with making 80hp...like a hinson clutch basket :roll: :roll: . when i heard glen say brits cylinder wasnt the full race it irritated me and showed he was back pedaling on what he once claimed it was. that jug came from me, which came from glen, which sent me a reciept and told me it was full race. now its not full race ?????? WTF. if my motors were pumping out 80hp, and i had a shop, with dyno and every porting tool imaginable like he claims he has, i would have dyno sheets or eye witnesses or something to coroborate my claims, not some smoke and mirros bullshit. probly under the impression yours gss is 80hp too huh fastkart ?? ......keep dreaming brotha :lol: . i guess there might be a mystical fuuuull race motor, but only Rpetersen got one. i just got the 1/2 race port, even though reciept said full race and i payed $2000 for the total package. maybe i got defrauded out of my money, sure sounds like it.......but its ok, it happened years ago when i didnt know shit about bikes. fuck that FULL RACE PORT nonsense, i seen first hand what it could do, i wasnt impressed, dissappointed actually. have a nice day
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Mine might only be a glorified 5hp briggs and scrap iron for all I know powerwise. What I care about is that it gets me around the track faster than the competition... and it does. Could it be better? I'm sure it could be, but I don't have a ton of money to pour into things. Might I try Loomis or someone else? Its a possibility, but I'm happy with the service and work Glen did. I'll go back for more too (actually my cylinder is in Palmdale right now, along with a friends). When/if I feel I get hosed, that will change.
CR480R

Post by CR480R »

100hp honda wrote: according to his flow bench :roll: :roll:
that would probably be useful on on 4-stroke...lol..
Current bikes- 1983 CR480
Former bike- 1990 CR500
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

flowbench works to tell you the flow. I however only use a wet flow bench which prints on the port where the fuel is getting knocked out of the air, pooling behind valves. The neatest thing was when john, (the big ford guru some of you will know) sent my customer the biggest best 460 style heads he had. dude ran it, and it was shit. I checked the heads, and the flowed like a MF, BUT what they didnt check was that the air/fuel mixture would blow up to 40% out the exhasut port because of the shape of the combustion chamber. These werent just modded heads, thses were CUSTOM castings of his own.
MrDude_1

Post by MrDude_1 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:flowbench works to tell you the flow. I however only use a wet flow bench which prints on the port where the fuel is getting knocked out of the air, pooling behind valves. The neatest thing was when john, (the big ford guru some of you will know) sent my customer the biggest best 460 style heads he had. dude ran it, and it was shit. I checked the heads, and the flowed like a MF, BUT what they didnt check was that the air/fuel mixture would blow up to 40% out the exhasut port because of the shape of the combustion chamber. These werent just modded heads, thses were CUSTOM castings of his own.
AHHHH. you just made this lightbulb go off in my head!
theres these heads ive worked on for a few years.. after porting, they used to work like crap.. so everyone dropped them... they were considered crappy for the flow levels we needed.

well, on one set, a friend welded up the chambers... i matched up and made a chamber that mimmicked a set of vortec fastburn heads.... including this little nub that made the chamber heart shaped.... it worked.. EXTREMELY well.
im willing to bet that little nub isnt for the "fastburn"... its to keep the charge from blowing out the exhaust!! bingo. :shock:

the heads flowed great, but made crap power.. i bet thats why.. they had rounder tub-ish chambers......
now i have to go mess around with some stuff...
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

you're on it!
It also makes the plug read like the fuel is right, but the exhasut temp will be really high as if the cyl was lean, but its the extra fuel burning in the header.
the vortec head is only solving it by accident, that square nub is adding quench to the cyl, allowing more timing with less fuel, hotter burn. GM learned that in the lt1 and had to reverse cool the engine to keep the head temp down.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

So, back on topic....

I havent got anything as good as mick's research into this,

I had the opportunity to measure a felow members 250 stator plate, it didnt require any machine work to fit.

We tried it in an 86, 88, 89, and 94 to see if there were interference troubles, fit perfect.

Measured it against an 86 stator I had loose, exact same pilot hole size.
It was deffinately a small rotor setup, i think he said it was a '96.

I was planning on running an '86 500 cdi and stator, but

I have an '88 250 system on its way. It still uses the 500 sized flywheel (not sure of its weight yet) with a 5 wire stator so i can try it with a weighted 500 flywheel, or my 86 500 stator.

I have an 86 125 system that will need trimming of the disk shaped plate to fit, but the holes do line up. Its a 4 wire with a single piece 6 pole stator. The other 85 125 flywheel i have matches this system and will get weighted to try as an alternate aswell. Only drawback is having to fab a rest for the clutch lifter that doesnt exist on this one, and bore the plate to fit the case.

I'm considering making the stators retaing bolts float the plate so it can be adjusted externally of the ignition housing with a lock screw. So during a ride i can reach down and click up or down to change timing position.
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

i read all this thread last night :shock: , very impressive input .... i remember dannygraves mentioning a cr125 ignition ... has anyone every tried this set up ? i have '91 and '93 in the shed , otherwise i will look for a 250 set up and go with whats been tried , tested and proven :cool:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

My '88 250 ignition showed up today, heres pics compared to a 500 flywheel with a weight.

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I think the stock 500 one weighed 564 grams
the 13oz weight got this one to 932 grams
the '88 250 flysheel is 485 grams

When aligned at the keyway the 250 trigger starts later, but stops at the same position. I havent degreed the trigger to spec it on the engine. If i get time the degree wheel is going on one today

does anyone here have the specs of the 1984 or 1985 cr500 flywheels?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

oggo69 wrote:i read all this thread last night :shock: , very impressive input .... i remember dannygraves mentioning a cr125 ignition ... has anyone every tried this set up ? i have '91 and '93 in the shed , otherwise i will look for a 250 set up and go with whats been tried , tested and proven :cool:
i havent read much into the 125 setup but i was under the impression the crank is smaller size then 500 so the flywheel wouldnt be a direct bolt on deal. is this true ?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:I think the stock 500 one weighed 564 grams
the 13oz weight got this one to 932 grams
the '88 250 flysheel is 485 grams

When aligned at the keyway the 250 trigger starts later, but stops at the same position. I havent degreed the trigger to spec it on the engine. If i get time the degree wheel is going on one today

does anyone here have the specs of the 1984 or 1985 cr500 flywheels?
just curious why you went with '88 250 ? ive talked to alot of people on this site and couple other sites and nearly every person said the later years is definatly the way to go, specifically '01. if i remeber correct, atleast 2 of the people i spoke with dyno tested the motor and '01 was top dog
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

I have a question, why does anyone want to use all the old analog 250 and 500 ignitions when you can buy a brand new Digital ignition system with the 2000-2001 CR250 setup. Seems like everyone is getting hung up on the size of the flywheel also and I just don't see it making much difference on a big 500 with a ton of inertia in the piston, rod, and crank. I have a 250r quad with the 250 in it, the stock flywheel is much larger than any 500 flywheel due to weight of the quad. I can't tell a bit of difference with the CR 250 flywheel on it and honestly it's actually better because it spools up so much quicker. I guess maybe in real tight woods it might make a difference but anywhere else, I just can't see it.
oggo69

Post by oggo69 »

100hp honda wrote:
oggo69 wrote:i read all this thread last night :shock: , very impressive input .... i remember dannygraves mentioning a cr125 ignition ... has anyone every tried this set up ? i have '91 and '93 in the shed , otherwise i will look for a 250 set up and go with whats been tried , tested and proven :cool:
i havent read much into the 125 setup but i was under the impression the crank is smaller size then 500 so the flywheel wouldnt be a direct bolt on deal. is this true ?
i can answer this near the end of next week when my 500 motor arrives , ur prolly right tho ...