02' CRF 450 Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i'm not really stuck on it...well i guess, it's more that i'm just waiting for my BOOT! i ordered a 02 250 boot, but it doesn't work...i don't know why but i figured they'd be mighter similar...but i've read that the 99 boot is quite a bit longer, which is what i need...i'll get back to you...
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Balaclava wrote:but i've read that the 99 boot is quite a bit longer, which is what i need
That is what I used 7 1/4" total length vs the 6 3/4" length of the 01.
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ya that half inch is what i need to pull it off...all you did was bolt the boot and the outter ring into the aluminum sheet?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Alum plate attached with two bolts high out of the way to airbox, then bolt box to subframe. Attach boot to carb and then put subframe/airbox on. Top back of boot will hit the plate, but you will have a 1/4" or so gap on the bottom at the plate. Apply heat to upper outside corner of boot where it hits the top side of the frame, you need to dent the boot in enough to allow it to slide up higher in the shock tower around the shock. This also brings up the bottom back side flush to the plate. Once all that is in place and looking how you want it, mark the outside edge and bolt holes with a sharpie. Take it all back apart and just follow the rest of the steps listed in my build.

Cake!!!!

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

mint man...i love it...

I appreciate the tip, she'll go together nicely once i get the part...

All i need is my 450 airbox, 450 internal ring. 250 airboot, and 250 outter ring?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Balaclava wrote:
All i need is my 450 airbox, 450 internal ring. 250 airboot, and 250 outter ring?
Yep and....
3oz of permitex, a jig saw to cut the plate and a hole in theplate and a nice assortment of hardware store bolts and lock nuts to adapt the stuff. Some can standard bolts, but some need to perfectly flat countersunk type.

Just remember basiclly the plate becomes part of the boot once you mount the boot in it. Once you hit that point your should be able to see the final picture and assemble it no problem. This is how Bob did his only he used a thinker piece of acrylic material.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Wicked dude...i'll get it to go next week...

any idea if a 99 cr 125 boot is the same thing as a 99 250 boot? do they have the same size carb?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-CR ... 0229019701

would this work??^^
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Not sure if they fit, but they show as different part numbers. You can get a new boot and metal ring for cheaper then that old stuff!!!

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fiche_ ... &fveh=3269

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ya i know i got it on order already...just wondering cause a buddy of mine has a 99 cr 125 and i was going to take off his subframe and check out the situation...won't have to worry about it thuogh...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

well i got the 98 250 boot and what a difference between the 02 and 98...the 98 is MINT!!! should work no problem...that is deffinately the boot to get...airbox is last thing on my list...but i have a new problem...bike is only testing 95 PSI!!!!!! i think i got fucked crank seals...to get all this way and my top end rebuild doesn't do shit!!! i'm choked...we'll see what happens...
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Crank seals are not that bad, hopefully its just the stator side.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ended up being Fuk all...i didn't properly torque my head nuts...i like freaked out when it only hit 95, all to remember that i never torque'd em'...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

check out the gold threaded headstay bolts...no nuts to F' around with...Rads, Exhaust mount, and chain alignment...

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

check out the gold threaded headstay bolts...no nuts to F' around with...Rads, Exhaust mount, and chain alignment...

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Airbox is done...Sealed up nicely...thanx for all the ideas...honestly if i had to i would NEVER do it this way again...it must have taken 4-5 hours of fukkin grinding and cutting and measuring and drilling, and mocking up, and then more grinding and more drilling...seriously was the most annoying and painful part of this build...but it's DONE!...enjoy...my bike IS FINISHEDDDDD!!!!!!!!

britincali

Post by britincali »

Dont look finished.......
      Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
      Cepek = cool
      Solidbro = cool
      Brit = loser
      Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
      MFDB = cool
      Danny = ok
      Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

haha...i got some shit to deal with...but nothing to do with making a 500 fit inside a 450...i got my grips, my plastics, and brakes to bleed...and i screwed up the subframe silencer mounts...that has to be fixed...but it's minor...but ya i'm still waiting to ride it...
      Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ok...it's finished...Started up in 5 kicks, and runs like a DREAM!...starts up first kick every time now...couldn't be more blown away...i know it doesnt' look as pretty as some of the bikes on here, but that will come in the winter...i only have a month or maybe 2 to ride this thing...the torque is amazing and the bike is so nimble...vibes are next to none...

by the way bannedcr500riders.com, made me one happy mother fucker, and i wish i could buy you all a 12 pack for helping me out...cheers boys...
      DPinDet

80cc

Post by DPinDet »

That is a cool little 80 you have in the background. . .Oh yeah, good job too!

DpinDet
      "Trees are for traction"
      eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Now go pound that thing hard and hope it stays together, got to tell you the first few jumps on mine I was a bit concerned on the strength of the welds. But so far so good , no cracks and no loose bolts!!!

Got mine somewhat jetted, loading it up now to see how it does WOT!

MXMotoworx.com
      2003 Honda CR500AF
      Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ya i just have to wait for my rear brake allan bolt and my air filter cage to get here and it's complete and ready to tear...i ripped it down the back lane for a couple minutes and i was very impressed...and when i came back i was shaking...the engine has such an amazing sound and power to it...considering i've never ridden a 500 before, i had never heard a dirt bike sound like that...it has the most serious rumble to it...and so far nothing has vibrated off or broke...so we'll see this week...
      Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

first ride out in the sand pits was pretty good...no cracks in any welds and i only lost 1 shroud bolt...the thing vibrates pretty hard on the back throttle, basically i think that is the only vibrations i can notice...the way it lugs when it's slowing down...other then that...the bike is SICK...and exactly what i wanted if not more...
      Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

alright i was killin it on my 500 lately...i got really nice n' used to the bike...hitting some like 50-60 ft long sand hits, but no ramps...got the courage to hit a ramp...went a little too fast in 2nd gear, bike shot up unlike any other bike i ever rode...wayyyyyy past the landing had to ditch the bike, about 30-40 feet in the air...ended up shattering my left ankle, tib fib and all the joints...and earlier that day my little cousin ended up having the bike take off right from underneath him, and tore a massive gash in his thigh, he went to the hospital about 2 hours before i broke my ankle...4 internal stitches and 10 external...

the cr500 is a psyyyyycho bike....mine is running so intensely that no body wants to even try it...

when i heal up it will remain my bike, even though everyone wants me to get rid of it...hope no one goes through this type of ankle smashing...it's a 6 month couch trip...not to mind a career killer!!! shit happens though....but the bike is unbelievablly powerful...and luckily i only lost a seat bolt and broke my inner exhaust mount...the bike landed on it's wheels...
      eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Wow... Glad to hear your still breathing!! I know my bike is insane, I am sticking with mellow til (if ever) I master it!!!

MXMotoworx.com
      2003 Honda CR500AF
      AlisoBob
      "Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Owning a CR500 requires respect, and good gear.

Sorry to hear of your crash....