WTF

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
sugarshane

WTF

Post by sugarshane »

OK, so my ignition decided to crap out on me Wednesday night while trying to get the bike ready for hoonfest. :cussing: No spark! Last time I parked her she ran fine, now nothing. everything tested out fine individually, but when put together, nothing. Took it to a local shop and they said the same thing. They got it run once, shut it off to look at specs online and nothing again when they tried to fire it up again!! It has been at the shop since Thursday and they cant figure it out. Nothing is failing when each component is tested by itself, yet when fully assembled it wont spark at all! Has anyone ever had to deal with this before? I know the old analogue system sucks and I am debating on the 250 ignition but it seems to be debated if it really makes a difference. Definatley can't be any worse. I have a baby on the way in a few weeks and don't really want to spend extra money to expiriment with swapping the ignition unless its a definate improvement or my only alterantive.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Back in the day I had this problem that would come and go, for the life of me I could not work it out.

In the end my best mate found that the wires going to my coil were coming out, coil was bouncing on the wires as the bolt holding the coil had fallen out.
When the dealer put the bike together he hadn't tighten the bolt and I lost it and was riding with it hanging by the wires.

Check the wires are not pulling out of any of the connections, sounds dumb but could be the problem.
:wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

wires seemed to be tight, and she was dead all around when under ANY type of load. revved up fine otherwise (when it would start). I have tried 3 new plugs, new gas, spare plug wire.
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

ALL these hoons on here and CR500R7 is the only one to offer any thoughts?! I guess it's a good thing it broke when it did or I would have been effed out at hoonfest.... Well I guess I'll rely on the tech's to help me....
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Did you remove the kill switch from the equation? Just disconnect it.
tacogrande

Post by tacogrande »

Number one rule when dealing with electrical gremlins, check your connections. Pull them apart, scuff them up with emery cloth and reassemble. Sounds like a ground issue to me, that will commonly cause intermittent faults. Pull the coil off the frame and sand it shiny on both sides. Check the insulation on the wires too, might be exposed wire in there somewhere grounding out.
Socal Hoon
M.F.D.B.

Re: WTF

Post by M.F.D.B. »

sugarshane wrote: everything tested out fine individually, but when put together, nothing.
That I believe is the key...the only difference between the two scenarios is the contacts between the components.

As already stated, check you contacts, if the crimp connection of the plug/connector to the wire is the least bit loose and corroded it will cause intermittent failures.
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

sounds like you might have a broken wire along the loom some where, or a positive wire shorting out through a worn wire.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

had the boys at the shop try unhooking the kill switch and still nothing. I think I am just gonna pick it up and play with everything myself, one wire at a time. sounds like the cdi is the biggest culprit to these systems.
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

Thanks for all of you that have taken time give me advice
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

you can disconnect your kill switch by disconnecting the two wires that run from it under the tank,that is the surest way to check it. also make sure your earth wire is earthed out(the one bolted onto the coil/frame). if you have doen this and if all else fails, you can pick up a cr250 ignition if you got cash to splash.but with whatever ignition you buy, they have to come as a complete unit, you should never buy a different flywheel/stator combo.
good luck
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

what was the outcome
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
sugarshane

Post by sugarshane »

The shop didn't even get to it today. Gonna try to get it tomorrow but it's the old lady's b-day so she might not be too cool with me going to pick it up after work cuz tomorrow is my late night to work. Wed at the absolute latest unless they figure it out before I get to it.
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

I spent over a month trying to diagnose why my bike would die and not start until it felt like it....in the end it turned out that the little e-clip holding the plunger in the kill switch had come off and was bouncing around inside the kill switch causing it to shut the bike down on occasion........now I only use the flat square Yamaha YZ kill switches on my bike and my sons because those rubber Honda units get damaged too easy since they're so tall.
99 CR500R
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade

My Drinking team has a Racing problem !

thestuz

Post by thestuz »

i use a honda xr kill switch. put it on the rhs just like a xr set up.
love it :wink:

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.