ill be the guinee pig

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

or coem out to dumont for new years... if you come out, I'll even bring the gen-1 :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on December 24th, 2009, 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
gas is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking,nitro is for racing
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

pstoffers wrote::roll: Are you serious......
no shit. what's up with the short shifiting? does this guy have a clue what he's doing? riding or wrenching?

how can you determine it's over-rev potential when YOU DONT REV IT? :roll:
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

glen howell wrote:The thing about my pipes is I make serveral .The ones I make that have that big of a defuser is mostly for go cart and drag racing only, The pipe I sold 100 4 years ago was the pipe I sell for more bottom end ,more mid range ,And just enough over rev to let the engine rev to about 7000 .With that big of a defuser and that long of a stinger that pipe won't have very little bottom end ,a little mid range,and a whole lot of over rev if he has the porting it could rev as much as 8000 or 9000 RPM but for normal riding its not good ,But for drag racing an low gears 13 -53 it should rev to the moon

how much do your pipes run?
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Ill take the FMF for $5 since Paul dident pick it up :cool:
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Clyde runs his shit so fat, its a wonder it revs at all.....
yota

Post by yota »

I finally tried Bobs magic needle yesterday, much more crisp and cleaner revving but I think I'll try position 4 next sunday, was just a little lean on a long high speed run thru the woods with a couple of fast guys trying to run me down.
09 TTM CR500AF
08 KTM 200 XC
08 Ducati Hypermotard
03 CR125
95 CR250
83 Husqvarna 125 XC
73 Maico MX250
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

lewisclan wrote:Ill take the FMF for $5 since Paul dident pick it up :cool:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Jake

glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on December 24th, 2009, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

100hp honda wrote:i got a topend drag port cylinder ill be testing the pipe on next weekend, i expect even bigger gains on that motor.... stay tuned for that test :lol:
Lets see how that goes. But you do need a hill or at least rev the hell out of it for us. :wink:
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

you sukkas can go do your own pipe testing from now on :lol:

glen, im sure cpi would be glad to put ANY of your pipes on the dyno and see how it compares to theres :D . call and talk to chase or mike, both nice guys.
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

LOL!!!!! dont get so butt HURT there just trying to help????

your not hitting the power band and you shift like your driving MISS DAISY :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on December 24th, 2009, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

glen your a nice guy. this topic is about pipes and is nothing personal against anybody. so your not confident enough in your product to have it tested against someone elses product ? glen, the truth should be known about your stuff, lets throw a few of your products up on a dyno and see how well they do, just for fun :lol: . after all, everyone thinks your THE MAN and you wouldnt want to dissapoint them :D . ive posted several videos of how my bikes run, i have no shame in my stuff.

ANYBODY got a gss pipe they could borrow for a weeke or two ? ill gladly pay the roundtrip freight charges to have it tested.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Dude if those videos are of your big hp engine, and not just posted to be sarchastic :roll:

for the first 3, click on the video and turn off your monitor with the speakers cranked

500 with "porting"

nitrous 500 (same pipe)

Stock 500 with gnarly

This was the scene against 3 other 500s, one on a pc/pj,ct reed+stock porting one on a pj/gnarly/stock reed= stock porting, and one pwk/gnarly/vf2+some "porting" (the slow one in the vid, he has 2" of extention on the swingarm so it comes out easy, dont have the power for a 4th gear clutch dump like my gen3 thats not extended here {the overall fastest by far one} )
Ported&Polished

Hey guys Clyde didn't have a camera crew for the two short vids, he took those two vids and that was that, but he did ride for alot more testing, including reving it out. He told me the bike felt like a whole new motor, and this was on his mostly stock engine. The drag race engine will be tested with the pipe this weekend baring 4 feet of new snow today!
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

understandable, i dont get why that vid would need to represent the pipe or anything other than it was a nice day out :lol:
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

100hp honda wrote:glen your a nice guy. this topic is about pipes and is nothing personal against anybody. so your not confident enough in your product to have it tested against someone elses product ? glen, the truth should be known about your stuff, lets throw a few of your products up on a dyno and see how well they do, just for fun :lol: . after all, everyone thinks your THE MAN and you wouldnt want to dissapoint them :D . ive posted several videos of how my bikes run, i have no shame in my stuff.

ANYBODY got a gss pipe they could borrow for a weeke or two ? ill gladly pay the roundtrip freight charges to have it tested.
I would like to know if glen has ever tested a CPI pipe on one of his builds..... MAYBE it would out perform his... MAYBE it wouldnt.... theres only one way to find out and that is on the DYNO!

i say put up or shut up.
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

seems like everyone is getting bent out of shape over this which is kind of funny. CPI builds drag pipes, this pipe is really no different. It appears they offer two pipes, one that has no bottom end at all probably, a true drag pipe and the one 100HP has with slightly less top end, and a little more bottom and more midrange hit.

Just looking at the pipe it doesn't suprise me it's got 8-9 more hp on top vs a gnarly or pc pipe, these pipes sign off real early and the FMF pipe sooner than the PC. All CPI does is ride the dunes all over the west and where they are at in Utah there are some massive dune hills both there and Idaho so my guess this pipe will perform well in the wide open dune areas. If I were riding the dunes and was going to line it up for some drag racing, I would take this CPI pipe over a FMF Garly any day of the week, I don't care what kind of porting you have. I'm sure Glen has pipes that when matched with porting give the 500 a 1,000 rpm boost minimum and you need RPMs to be fast. Yes you can gear up with a torquey motor but I will take the RPM's and a bit less gear in a straight line anyday and you will be faster.
Ported&Polished

LOVEMYCR500 wrote:vs a gnarly or pc pipe, these pipes sign off real early and the FMF pipe sooner than the PC.
You know that, and I know that, but people that don't drag race their bikes never experience that. People that say things like "your bike is fast enough stock, you need better suspension to go faster" or "I want a trail port job" don't drag race the dunes. They don't understand that at that point you could be riding a rigid frame, you just need more top end power to go faster. And a trail port doesn't exsist, it's either ported full out race or it's not ported at all. A good port job makes a big difference, a REAL big difference if done right, but these off the shelf pipes don't allow for much over rev. A guy I know with a cr500 engine in his quad has a custom pipe, and that engine revs very high. The cr500 mil is a potent one and can be a drag motor when everything is built right, and that means getting a drag pipe. My Banshee is ported and has some good pipes, it revs beyond the moon with them. :)
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
britincali

Post by britincali »

Banshees are twins and thus way more balanced than a cr5 motor, I dont think a 500 motor will rev much past stock without introducing a balance shaft.

My nitrous bike revs out more than stock but when its singing properly it makes a really scarey noise and definatly doesnt like the high RPM stuff.

Theres only so much you can do to a non balanced single cylinder motor to make it rev more without getting into the harmonic vibration rev range.

Ive given up on making it scream I just gear REALLY high, hit it with a big shot and let the tq do the work :wink:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I get A LOT more rpm out of my gen-1 than a stock 500. The rpms really make a difference... now if only I could control that damn thing!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Ported&Polished wrote: And a trail port doesn't exsist, it's either ported full out race or it's not ported at all.
Making the engine have massive torque down low is the trail port, the kinda thing where you never have to shift cuz it just lugs from anywhere. it exists as does the stock setup your bike came with, and the "full out race" :roll:

Theres a common mistake in calling anything beyond the stock setup "ported". changing port heights and timing by dropping the jug on the base, altering exhasut heights and widths is the same as changing the cam in your 4 stroke and adjusting how the cam is degreed, you can knock an excellent camshaft down by having it out in degree and the same is true on the 2stroke not beeing setup correct, and oem stuff is NOT to its potential. But enlarging the port dimensions, crankcase stuffing and reed changing is more true to the "porting"
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:wink:

porting is such a vague term. I couldn't tell you how many people I've heard say "oh yeah, its ported and super fast" and I can't help but ask about degrees of duration, port shape, crank case volume, static vs dynamic compression, etc and all I get is a blank stare :lol:
a cleanup jug with some flash removed and the exhaust polished is "ported" my gen-1 with absolutely no stock dimensions except borexstroke is also "ported" :roll: I've seen people post pictures of their "ported" jugs that look EXACTLY like stock. I've had other hoon's jug's at my house and they turned out to have a basic cleanup when the previous owner boasted about the "sick porting work" :roll:

I had a guy who talked like he knew his shit out at dumont BSing about bikes, he was asking me the right questions about my porting, then he went on to say 200* of exhaust duration wasn't much :roll: I guess he spent too much time listening to alky banshee guys talk :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

WOW 200 degrees exhaust duration not being much, that's a full on drag port that most motor builders never go over for alky motors!!!

You don't need a balance shaft to make a CR 500 turn some rpms, but the more rpms you turn, the more you are making your motor become one dimensional. If I were going to build a 9000 rpm CR 500 motor, I would balance the crank for sure but even with this the motor will be very high maintance and probably go through pistons pretty regular.

I have a 431 cc TRX puma motor in my 250r when you look at the bore and stroke on this motor it's not that far off the CR 500 with a 85 mm bore and 76 mm stroke and on gas with the port timing and pipe I am running it turns over 10,000 rpms. The TRX has a counter balancer but the crank still needed balanced becuase the rod I'm using is heaiver than stock and the counter balancer was never designed for a 85 mm piston. The cylinder also has a intake port bridge so that helps with the piston cracking on the intake which at these rpms the CR 500 motor would have a terrible time with. My point is, you can make a CR 500 motor turn rpms if you want to go fast, it probably won't live a long life though.

Oh by the way, I saw one of CP inc (the cylinder company) CR 500 97 mm bore cylinders and I have to say it's the best cylinder I have seen. It will require a plate to be made to bolt on the cases becasue in order to make the transfer ports really flow, they moved the position of the front studs wider than the honda bolt pattern. The back studs are in the stock position. It comes cast with approx port timings of 196 degrees on the exhaust with 32 degrees of blowdown on the transfers like most of the CP
inc cylinders do. This particular cylinder is going on a Suzuki LT 500 quadzilla bottom end (rear studs are the same spacing as a CR 500) and will be a 650 cc drag motor in a quad. Should be fun. These cylinders are designed to go out to 108 mm piston but there are no pistons yet. Now that would be a beast for sure!!!