Pipe and Muffler of choice??

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
alcrook26

Pipe and Muffler of choice??

Post by alcrook26 »

Just wondering if there is a pipe and muffler combo of choice for a CR250 gen 3 conversion or if they are much the same as each other in regards to fit. I was just thinking if some mufflers fit better than others. I want to keep noise down as much as possible so I was leaning towards an FMF 'Q' series muffler with a gnarly pipe. Does this pipe move too much power downlow?? Im also going to fit a programmable vortex ignition to help with tuning the power.
OUTKAST INC.

Post by OUTKAST INC. »

i used the pc pipe made for the 03 to the service honda specs , with the spark arrestor muffler fit was great just had to get all the spacers and frt mount adjusted properly so the pipe could move around a little bit freely , i was able to get the pipe and muffler from mike at team trubble , he took care of me fine but it took a lot of calls and a little bit longer than promised by i got it in a month from him last spring time. there are pics of the bike in this forum ... noise level is great power fine much quieter than 4 stroke
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Im pretty keen to get a standard pipe, being in australia I think it will be easier for me in the long run to stay with the non service honda pipe. Im pretty keen on having the quietest muffler available. Pretty sick of these bastard loud four bangers, i want to prove that you can have style, power and be relatively quiet while on the trails.
DitchWitch

Post by DitchWitch »

It seems even the loudest 2 strokes dont carry sound like open 4 strokes do, I wonder why? Maybe compression? Volumetric effeciency? Maybe just the refraction of the pipe bouncing the noise back into the cylinder???
87CR500Rider

Post by 87CR500Rider »

DitchWitch wrote:It seems even the loudest 2 strokes dont carry sound like open 4 strokes do, I wonder why? Maybe compression? Volumetric effeciency? Maybe just the refraction of the pipe bouncing the noise back into the cylinder???
Low frequencies carry further.
ukaf

Re: Pipe and Muffler of choice??

Post by ukaf »

alcrook26 wrote:Just wondering if there is a pipe and muffler combo of choice for a CR250 gen 3 conversion or if they are much the same as each other in regards to fit. I was just thinking if some mufflers fit better than others. I want to keep noise down as much as possible so I was leaning towards an FMF 'Q' series muffler with a gnarly pipe. Does this pipe move too much power downlow?? Im also going to fit a programmable vortex ignition to help with tuning the power.
We've used FMF, PC and DEP - full "Service Honda AF" system in each case.

The best quality is FMF but it does move power down the range (that can be good or bad). The PC works well but isn't as robust.

The best overall performance (reported by the 2 pro level riders) is from the DEP with the long silencer. The DEP is very close to the HRC pipes and is available un-plated or, with a bit of encouragement to DEP, plated.

What I'll say is that all three front pipes are prone to breaking (they do it at different places). Careful fitting is obviously the key but all those vibes take their toll on things.

In the EU the short silencers are way too loud so always use the long version - DEP is quietest as it has full length perforated core - but no spark arrestor.

In the UK I can supply all 3 systems. If you're in another place and need a DEP I can probably help too.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

alcrook26 wrote: I was leaning towards an FMF 'Q' series muffler with a gnarly pipe.
The "Q" sucks ass......

Anybody building therie own bike should use an OEM stylr pipe... period.

Your making the bike, so make your own pipe mounts too.

S/H could easily use a OEM style pipe, but make their own, so you are effectivly a customer of theres for as long as you own the bike.

This is a 100% stock, OEM pipe on my Gen 4. You couldnt make it fit any better if you tried.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

I run a stocker up front and a PC for the silencer! LOVE IT!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
ukaf

Post by ukaf »

AlisoBob wrote:
alcrook26 wrote: I was leaning towards an FMF 'Q' series muffler with a gnarly pipe.
The "Q" sucks ass......

S/H could easily use a OEM style pipe, but make their own, so you are effectivly a customer of theres for as long as you own the bike.

This is a 100% stock, OEM pipe on my Gen 4. You couldnt make it fit any better if you tried.
Ah well, I was only trying to help. I'll leave you all to cutting and welding your equally expensive pipes then.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

ukaf wrote: I'll leave you all to cutting and welding your equally expensive pipes then.
$40
Completly uncut
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Alisobob, whats wrong with the 'Q'. Does it suck too much snap out of the motor or is it just too quiet???
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

alcrook26 wrote:Alisobob, whats wrong with the 'Q'. Does it suck too much snap out of the motor or is it just too quiet???
its a power robber and its way to long so it hits the rear fender and melts the F@*k out of it
-Jake

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

caseyracing222 wrote:
alcrook26 wrote:Alisobob, whats wrong with the 'Q'. Does it suck too much snap out of the motor or is it just too quiet???
its a power robber and its way to long so it hits the rear fender and melts the F@*k out of it
And its no quieter and falls apart.

I went back to the Turbinecore II
alcrook26

Post by alcrook26 »

Turbine II sounds like the option of choice for those who know!! I reckon Ill get one. Will there be any trouble with it getting the noise below 96-94 DB with it?? The noise police are getting picky on some tracks in australia and Im pretty keen on keeping the bike as quiet as possible.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

ukaf wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:
The "Q" sucks ass......

Ah well, I was only trying to help. I'll leave you all to cutting and welding your equally expensive pipes then.

the only mod on my pipe was to remove and relocate the rear mount on the expansion chamber and johns 2001 cr 250 ran a completely stock pc and pc muffler sh has you bluffed tiger
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

AlisoBob wrote:
caseyracing222 wrote:
And its no quieter and falls apart.

I went back to the Turbinecore II
I have also heard srorys of the Q not flowing properly, a buddy of mine was having problems with his bike cutting out on him and just sputtering out of nowhere, he tried new jetting gas and just about anything else that would have done it, until he pulled the Q off only to find there was a big dried up clump of soot in the tail pipe, he bought a new TCII and the problem was solved. I think the TCII is a good choice for trail riding but I like the PC factory sound 304 for racing, I use a Gnarly pipe with the PC silencer and the Gnarly helps the low end, while you can slightly feel the PC working on the top.
-Jake

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The "Q" is just a longer TCII..... same guts.
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

I had 2nd thoughts about mixing 2 different brands. After riding the bike, I knew it was a good choice.
I went w/the Gnarly pipe and the TC2. Noise level seems to be mellow (on the loud side of street use) when compared to other track bikes. It's quieter then what my 480 makes w/its repacked silencer and a lelluva lot quieter than the Harleys and Shadows running around here.

Low end grunt is excellent.....couldn't ask for more (wouldn't want more) and punches all the way through through the top end.

I read somewhere (here) that TC2s need a hole saw run through them, to remove the turbine/restriction. Mine seems ok as-is.

Is it a great combo? I think so.

Adding GSS's porting makes it way better.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
ukaf

Post by ukaf »

gregrobo wrote: the only mod on my pipe was to remove and relocate the rear mount on the expansion chamber and johns 2001 cr 250 ran a completely stock pc and pc muffler sh has you bluffed tiger
DEP, PC and FMF makes 2 pipes for CR500. One to fit the steelie and one to fit Gen4 AFs. The steelie pipe doesn't clear the front wheel on AFs. Neither the stock or AF fit DEPs is anything to do with Service Honda - there's no bluffing going on. We just prefer to have a pipe which doesn't get hit by the front tyre.

I'm not sure what the noise situation is where you all ride but over here we have big problems. The quietest silencer we've used is the DEP but it's the longest so you'd expect that. The downside is it burns the rear fender and is more vulnerable. It's still not as long as the silencers the Grand prix bikes were using in the late 90s.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

i know the front wheel was suposed to hit the pipe. we dropped the caps off both our conversions and the wheel never hit the pipe and we are running standard and a procircuit pipe
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee