clutch nut stuck.... bad.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
thestuz

clutch nut stuck.... bad.

Post by thestuz »

i tried to take the main retaining nut off so i could take the basket out but the nut wont budge. i had used a rattle gun to put it on and it seems i did a real good job of tightening it cos it wont budge loose. i tried rattling it off, using a breaker bar and hitting it with a block of wood,heating it up with a heat gun but nothing... im worried if i use any more force that i might be doing damage to my gbox bearings etc. is there another method? or should i take it to a dealer who has the propper clutch brace?
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

Just buy the proper tool

http://pitposse.com/clhoto.html
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

1/2 impact @ 130psi & an impact scocket
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

how are you holding the center hub?
and yes, an impact works great as long as you can hold the center hub. There is that special tool to hold the hub, but I prefer using a ratchet tie down strap that I wrap aroudn the center hub and in and out the same openign on the outer hub, then tie the hooks to the frame or motor. it holds the center hub without the risk of gouging up the grooves.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i'm obviously way too cheap

+ if the clutch case is off i throw a penny between the crank +basket gears teeth
MICK

Post by MICK »

I live by the rule that no fastener should require the use of an impact device to tighten. Snug that joker up with the fingers and follow it up with 56lbs with a wrench...done. The clutch holder costs $30...cheaper than replacing a broken clutch hub.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

once you manage to get the nut off, you might find the threads on the tranny shaft are stretched/stripped, then youll be forking out another $110 plus the time to split cases and replace it. buy the correct tools and youll never have a problem :wink:
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

ive always used an impact to put these things on and off. i dont keep hammering it on, just until it snugs up and a few more hammers, then i make sure its tight before re-assembly.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

NightBiker07 wrote:ive always used an impact to put these things on and off. i dont keep hammering it on, just until it snugs up and a few more hammers, then i make sure its tight before re-assembly.
yeah me too. evenyually got it off. no signs of visible damage... think ill go a bit easy putting it back on :)
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

you want to borrow my clutch holder and torque wrench ? :?
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

100hp honda wrote:you want to borrow my clutch holder and torque wrench ? :?
thanks champ, ended up getting it off after half a hour. lost me petience and half me hair but got there :D

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.