700cc Zabel 2 stroke powerplant.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
mega491

700cc Zabel 2 stroke powerplant.

Post by mega491 »

Anyone on the site heard of or used one of these? Case type 16 petal reed, 85 stock HP and a 4 spd. overdrive trans.

click on the link or copy and paste.

http://www.zabel-racing.de/en/motors.html
agent

Post by agent »

can you translate those numbers to english, just the important ones like price :wink:

rick
Travis

Post by Travis »

Looks like it is all backward like some of the older KTM's. May be the pic but it looks like the carb points the wrong way, kicker on the left, and sproket on the right. Would likely be a pain to put in a CR frame but looks like a neat project regardless.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

there have been a few threads around here about that.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

awesome :cool: . i bet it would work nicely in some of the old ktm 2stoke frames, might could even make it work pretty easy in some the newer frames if it has the right side chain/left side kicker.

anybody know the current money exchange rate ?
rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

I use to run Zabels. Heres a photo of one of the WORKS 700 cylinders I have left over. It's about a 4" piston.

RP
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

how did it run? was it all low end? any top end? reliability?
what chassis did you run it in?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

It had alot on the bottom, but kept pulling. No mechanical issues really. Kinda difficult to start. The first bike we built we used a cr 500 frame and it was a nightmare. The second frame was custom built using KTM plastic and it worked fairly well. They were awesome hillclimb motors, my Dad won two N.A.H.A. titles on them.

RP
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:cool:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

rpeterson wrote:It had alot on the bottom, but kept pulling. No mechanical issues really. Kinda difficult to start. The first bike we built we used a cr 500 frame and it was a nightmare. The second frame was custom built using KTM plastic and it worked fairly well. They were awesome hillclimb motors, my Dad won two N.A.H.A. titles on them.

RP
right on :cool: . do you still have the motor laying around ? also, were you using the PVL ignition ? if so, was it easy to get figured out and did it work good ?
xtremeslide

Post by xtremeslide »

Here's the sound of the 600cc in a kart,the owner says that it gives 75HP,(?)this engines are mainly used in sidecross

I think the guy who built Zabel engines was a KTM engineer i read that somewhere (maybe i'm wrong)

Ride all kind of big bores two strokes is great and Zabel engines is a good

option as well,after you have a CR 500 in your garage

:headbang: :headbang:

CR500R
V-MAX 1200
rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

100hp honda wrote:
rpeterson wrote:It had alot on the bottom, but kept pulling. No mechanical issues really. Kinda difficult to start. The first bike we built we used a cr 500 frame and it was a nightmare. The second frame was custom built using KTM plastic and it worked fairly well. They were awesome hillclimb motors, my Dad won two N.A.H.A. titles on them.

RP
right on :cool: . do you still have the motor laying around ? also, were you using the PVL ignition ? if so, was it easy to get figured out and did it work good ?
I sold the whole bike to my cousin and then he sold it to a guy in Nor Cal that still rides it at a few events. Not sure on the ignition. :? The photo is from the Widow in 2004.

RP
rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

2002 in Billings with Yamaha plastic. :?

RP
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

RP I have seen you race the Zabel with the KTM plastics at a few events at Carnegie. Im pretty shure it belongs to a local guy Kenny Ingalls now, its a well built machine
-Jake

glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on December 11th, 2010, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

caseyracing222 wrote:RP I have seen you race the Zabel with the KTM plastics at a few events at Carnegie. Im pretty shure it belongs to a local guy Kenny Ingalls now, its a well built machine
The Speedway kid?

RP
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

rpeterson wrote:
caseyracing222 wrote:RP I have seen you race the Zabel with the KTM plastics at a few events at Carnegie. Im pretty shure it belongs to a local guy Kenny Ingalls now, its a well built machine
The Speedway kid?

RP
Ingalls hauls ass.. uphill, and turning left...

:D
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

RP Im not shure he' s number 41. Sorry if I got the name wrong :?
-Jake

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

heres the bike Im talking about

-Jake

rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

caseyracing222 wrote:heres the bike Im talking about

Thats the bike, but not Kenny Ingalls. That is the guy that my cuz sold it to, but I don't know his name. Ingalls does ride the amateur series up there and tears it up on a Speedway bike.

RP
rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

glen howell wrote:Robie,If that's one of the cyls. I did for your dad I still have the specs. on it,also for the one we did for Brets. ZABel. Glen
No, it's one of the original 700 cylinders. The ones you did went with the bikes when we sold them.

RP
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on December 11th, 2010, 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Sorry RP that guys name is Kenny Sandahl, I get the two mixed up from time to time :oops: , but Im pretty sure I know what Kenny your talking about
-Jake

rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

glen howell wrote:Thoes we did up for your dad went like stink the intakes were the smallest I have ever seen,They ran good when we got the porting starightened out I know you and Bret really looked good and fast on them. Glen
Yup, those 2 stroke motors were insane. :shock:

RP
rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

caseyracing222 wrote:Sorry RP that guys name is Kenny Sandahl, I get the two mixed up from time to time :oops: , but Im pretty sure I know what Kenny your talking about
Yeah, no worries. Now I remember that dudes name, since you gave it to me :? I'm so bad with names. :oops: Kenny Ingalls friken rips, I've been trying to get his Dad to run him in the 450 class at the NAHA season opener. We'll see in 2010. :wink:

RP