JR's Gen 3

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
JR650

Post by JR650 »

Well, it doesnt run yet, spent most of the day making a hose to the jug work, no coming out the top on this one, my pc doesnt hit the drain plug or the reed block, lots of clearance there. 85 carb boot doesnt work for shit, cant get airbox on, ill try harder tomorrow, had to stop before i wrecked something. on a good note, it has spark, all the coolant lines are hooked up finally and I got the kicker indexed to where it doesnt hit. Closer.
00 XR650R street legal SM
02 250/500
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

have you read up on many build threads? you need to swap out that 85 intake boot for a '89+.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
JR650

Post by JR650 »

I was hoping somehow i could make the 85 boot work, around here i have to wait a minimum of 5 days for anything, the local honda powershithouse stocks nothing, I mean not even levers! absolutely useless, ill order the boot monday, looks like im out my bike another week at least. Put coolant in it today and it leaks out of the head gasket, lovely, took that apart and spent some quality time at the kitchen table (1/2" glass) with some 220 grit taped to it (head wasnt flat) guess i should have checked that too (this works like the cats ass by the way, i owe whoever came up with this idea a beer.)Image

So now it holds water, ill probably fire it up tomorrow night without the aircleaner just to make sure it actually runs, no more suprises. hopefully ride next weekend
02 250/500
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

JR650 wrote:Interent took a shit yesterday am, so im short a sparkplug that i couldnt find a number for. got the cases clearanced, pipe is on checked the torque on pretty much every bolt, clutch cable is on. For the record, the 01cr5 cable fits perfect, except its bigger diameter than the 250 adjuster, no big deal tio fix., clutch is lighter than i expected, springs going maybe? barring some natural disaster, it should run today *knock on wood*.
with new cable and everything lubed, clutch pull is really light on the 500 with stock springs. almost the same as a 250
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Clutch cable for the CR500 is the same for 84 -01 as far as I know, so I have been told.
One thing you could do is chuck the water pump case and get the 89 case to help with hose/ exhaust clearance and route the hose away from exhaust.
Just my $.02 worth.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dude what gasket are you using?
the thin little cometic one?
Its going to have WAY too much compression, that head has a small chamber and needs to have the 85-88 gasket
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, I ran an '86 head w/ the newer gasket and it took me like an hour to get it to start, then when I was riding it, I was the only one who could start it! Plus it pinged like crazy on pump gas, so I had to run race gas.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, in the pic, I don
t see the lip that the '89+ heads have between the squish and gasket surface. you need the thick gasket. I measured once and the gasket difference is almost .050" difference!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
JR650

Post by JR650 »

I got the 85 gasket in there, the fat one. ordered up the carb boot today too. Important part, it RUNS!!! sounds good too, strong, idles not bad at all. thanks to Millar's decomp its easy to kick over 250 kicker and all. Just need a carb boot and assemble everything and shes good to ride!! Thanks for the tip on bending the silencer, Roostius, worked tits.
02 250/500
JR650

Post by JR650 »

Finally got the airbox on yesterday, only like 3 weeks. Took it out for the first ride today, had it nice and fat, like ate a couple plugs fat on the bottom. ran 50/50 vp110 and pump premium H1R mix, no 927 to be found around here, and couldnt get c12 on a saturday. This is my first big bore smoker and i must say, i didnt know whether to spooge my pants or shit myself the first time it hooked up on some grass in 4th gear and lofted the wheel about 3 feet :yikes: :headbang: . I figured this thing would be a little quicker than my 450, not even in the same league on the pants dyno. still got some issues to work out but well worth it. beyond a doubt the scariest dirtbike ive ridden, in a good way. Vibes more through the bars than the 250 did but no buzzing in the pegs which is nice. overall awesome, im stoked, big time. Now ive got some learning to do
02 250/500